Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • First beer of the day…
  • zippykona

…what time is acceptable?
    Just had a friend pop in the shop to have their lunch at 11.30 while in between appointments. Washed down with a beer.
    I wouldn’t even think about a beer before 1pm and then it would have to be a day off.
    Is my prudeometer going off uneccesarily?

spud-face

Finished getting my council election nominations an hour ago and popped in the local. When I finish this 2nd one I’ll pop up the council house and hand the form in. Pub’s busy, not many tables free.
    #edit# I’m not on-shift ’til 16:30

lunge

Old fashioned pub opening times suggest 11am is about as early as I’d go though though that is rare. 5pm is the socially acceptable time I’ve always thought.

binners

Its never too early

growinglad
    Free Member

Sun over the yard arm isn’t??

Father always used to say pubs opened at 11:00….I’ve always followed his wise words…

sandwicheater

Mid day for me.

For some reason, when we go on narrow boating breaks we like to think we are pirates and have a tot of rum at breakfast, arrrgghh!!

yunki
    Free Member

A few lads I know used to have a couple of ciders on the way to work..

but they were doing proper men’s work

Coyote
    Free Member

16:00 is usually when the beer light turn green.

growinglad
    Free Member

Just remembered the times we worked night shifts and used to go down the pub in Smithfields….

Pint or two with an egg banjo….Puts hairs on yer chest!

Stoner
    Free Member

Legitimate alternative to morning coffee for some in French bars. I wholeheartedly agree and like to blend in with the locals.

munro
    Free Member

I witnessed a 10:30 “breakfast beer” this morning is a NQ boutique hotel/bar – too early for me.
    Noon in UK.
    10:30 in sunnier climes.

MoreCashThanDash

When I was marshalling at L’Eroica last year the brewery guys manning the feed station were just opening a barrel and needed someone to test the first pint just as I arrived for duty. It was just gone 10.00am.

They offered me a second if I wasn’t sure it was up to standard 😉 but I needed to safely guide a few thousand cyclists across a busy road junction that day. Quite a few of whom had also sampled the very fine ale…..

binners

I remember in my 20’s when I’d just graduated (1943 I think it was?), and there was far more of a drinking culture in the poncey meeedya industry – I worked at a few places where the whole office would go to the pub every single lunchtime. It wasn’t that unusual not to bother coming back

Aaaaaaah those were the days

*hic*

davosaurusrex

Kien bier vor vier as they say.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Airport involved?

11:30 is fine 😉 Just make sure it’s the right beer for the time of day, nothing too heavy.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If your in an airport you can drink at 6.30am and nobody bats an eyelid…

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to a return to Lisbon late May and a morning Sagres or Superbock in the sun served in small tall stem glasses to keep them chilled.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I was marshalling at L’Eroica last year the brewery guys manning the feed station were just opening a barrel and needed someone to test the first pint just as I arrived for duty. It was just gone 10.00am.

ah that reminds me of a 24hr race we did, start was 11am, we had a couple of kegs of cider. We had to set it up before racing so we had to taste it at 10am… skipped them for breakfast the next morning though

P-Jay
    Free Member

I always assumed the 7am airport drinkers were nervy flyers looking to settle themselves!

I had a traditional Bavarian breakfast once of white sausage, sweet mustard and cloudy white beer at 8am, it was quite nice, but other wise 2-3pm is early for me, and that’s a post ride beer, I wouldn’t fancy a second much before 8pm.

I really don’t drink much at all though.

jimster01

They serve beer in the BMW factory for breakfast with a sausage so legend has it.

boabym

You can buy cans of Pzypfer beer in the shop in the BMW Steyr engine plant.
    It’s also on tap in the canteen.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Not for probably going on 15 (?) years.

Site visits to germany *used* to be fun. Beer in the canteen. Now it’s low alcohol stuff.

I’ve heard (before i joined the world of supplier visits) that the drink machines on the shop floor used to dispense cans of beer, alongside coke, fanta and fizzy water. They’ve long since gone.

(Though as a rider to this, the breath alcohol limit in the factory is lower than the drink drive limit, and the consequences of failing one made failing a drink driving test look like the soft option.)

BoardinBob

breakfast beers are one of life’s great pleasures

boabym

Still did in 2013 last I was there ghostlymachine, could be changed now though

shermer75
    Free Member

Breakfast beer:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used to like 3 or 4 beers after the last nightshift, as it performed 2 functions – Got me to sleep quickly and meant I woke up at lunchtime, bursting for a pish, so got me up at a time that resets yer body clock and means you can get to sleep at a ‘normal time’ in the evening.

However, nowadays – Only the unruly and unwashed drink before midday! 😆

cranberry
    Free Member

Beer is for lightweights- get yourself some breakfast korn:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper breakfast beer.

ads678

Depends where you are, what you’re doing and what time you got up.

If you were up at 5:30am then 11:30 is way past lunch time.

On holiday then anythings game, breakfast beer in the sun is great and i’ve regularly had a beer and a pain aux chocolate on the first lift up on a ski holiday, loosens you up!!

philjunior
    Free Member

Whenever I feel like one.

It depends what I have to do. If I have an empty day of enjoying myself, say going round a city as a tourist, I’d happily have beer with breakfast or at least mid morning snack time.

Usually I wait until I’ve done my chores first though – if I come in from work and have stuff to do round the house etc. I’ll do that before (or at least alongside) my first drink, then I can relax on the sofa with one properly.

Edit, I like Captainflasheart’s idea.

hooli

2 pm I guess? unless on holiday or in an airport then any time of day is acceptable.

john_drummer
    Free Member

9pm here. Other than in proper summer, booze in daylight is just wrong for me.

votchy
    Free Member

If a working day then no earlier than 12:30, if a holiday then anytime is beer o’clock 😀

igm

On a mate’s stag a pint with breakfast was the done thing – but then no more until much later.

When snowboarding, immediately after the first run to allow the ice to soften / settle nerves after icy first run has been known – say 0930 (0830 in the UK)

corroded
    Free Member

Any beer before 5pm results in an irresistible urge for a siesta for me. Never been a daytime drinker, somewhat thankfully.

LoCo
    Free Member

Never before noon, and only when work is finished.

funkrodent

It all depends on the receptacle. Wouldn’t dream of a pint before 5pm (normal day), midday (holiday, maybe). But a small half of something nice in the morning can work wonders, if you stick to that. If drinking proper-like then really wouldn’t want to get cracking before 2pm.

binners – Member
    I remember in my 20’s when I’d just graduated (1943 I think it was?), and there was far more of a drinking culture in the poncey meeedya industry – I worked at a few places where the whole office would go to the pub every single lunchtime. It wasn’t that unusual not to bother coming back

Being similarly employed in the world of Meejya, I too can remember the dim and distant days when a lunchtime visit to the pub often morphed into a morning visit to the toiletbowl.

Interestingly, the phrase “small beer” dates back to the middle ages when everybody drank small beer (usually around 2%) because the water was so rancid. So they were all basically half cut the whole time. Happy days..

zippykona

I remember a trip to Spain where the locals had beer with their breakfast.
    Later in the same bar there was a real commotion as my lady friend wanted a vodka at 6pm . Apparently vodka before 8 is unacceptable.

Klunk
    Free Member

have been known to start on the broadside at a quarter to eleven when in Southwold 😳

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Never been to BMW, but pretty sure they changed all the alcohol in the workplace rules about 10 or more years ago……… used to visit a supplier plant in Germany and there was much whinging about it at the time, and for a couple of years afterwards

Edit, Steyr is Austria, don’t know if they have different rules there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘First beer of the day…’ is closed to new replies.