Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fire damage
  • PhilChap

I had three bikes in my workshop which went up in flames a few weeks ago. Carbon full suspension and carbon forked road bike in my office which was right next to source of ignition and hardtail in the workshop. None suffered direct flame damage but heat, smoke and water killed most electrical equipment. I have no idea what temperature the office got to but there was nothing melted that I am aware of.

Does anyone know what temperature carbon is resistant to and if the smoke is likely to cause any damage further down the line to any materials on the bikes? Bikes look OK after a wash but don’t want to see them fall to bits after 6 months if there is likely any long term damage and am unsure if an inspection at a bike shop is worth it.

Drac

Does anyone know what temperature carbon is resistant

About 3500 Degree C.

scotroutes

Should’ve kept them in the bath

bruneep

was a tea light involved?

Claim on insurance?

aracer
    Free Member

About 3500 Degree C.
    [/quote]

Good answer to the question he asked. The answer to the question he should have asked is about 180°C

PhilChap

was a tea light involved?

Sorry, no tea lights were involved. No idea why you ask but I guess there must be a valid or funny reason. I have yet to see the funny side myself as I sift through the ashes.

Insurance is paying out on all things damaged, I am not sure if my bikes are.

I guess I should of stored the bikes in the bath and made sure I included “fibre” in my question sorry. Thankfully spell check ensures I don’t make too many mistakes there but grammar can slip through 😛

Thanks for the more valid answers, guess I will just follow the insurance assessors advice rather than a bike forum.

scotroutes

I’m afraid your thread was just too topical….. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/candles-round-the-bath

Northwind

It’s going to be the assessor’s call… Personally if it wasn’t an insurance matter, I’d say if they’re not visibly damaged then they’re fine, the clearcoats and stickers and that would almost certainly show damage (even if just discolouration) first.

Drac

Good answer to the question he asked. The answer to the question he should have asked is about 180°C

Sorry I made a joke it won’t happen again.

aracer
    Free Member

😳 I liked the joke, but thought he might appreciate a more useful answer!

PhilChap

I have been advised to have hem assessed at a bike shop so will let hem take a look.

Appreciate the advise and wit 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have been advised to have hem assessed at a bike shop so will let hem take a look.

Just tell them they were in a room with a fire, they’ll have no reasnoble way of telling if they’re damaged so will probaly just write them off to absolve themselves of liability.

andyl
    Free Member

best evidence would be to look at the softer plastic parts on the bikes – tyres, grips, drivetrain parts, shifters etc.

If these are melted then there could be cause for concern. The carbon fibre depends on the resin and cure temp. I would think you would be safe for 120+ up to 180degC. At those temps I would expect to see other bits suffering before the carbon.

Things like paint blistering and melted plastic on the hard tail would lead me to worry about the condition of fork and brake internals (oil and seal temps).

At very least you may want new tyres on the road bike if there is any evidence it got very warm.

If there is any doubt then they will probably go the way of new bikes and I think the bike in the same room would likely be highly suspect having seen the effect of fire on items in the same room.

njee20
    Free Member

Just tell them they were in a room with a fire, they’ll have no reasnoble way of telling if they’re damaged so will probaly just write them off to absolve themselves of liability.

This. A bike shop is in no way equipped to assess that beyond a visual inspection. Like others, if there are genuinely no signs of heat damage I’d not be too worried – if there are any signs though, I’d be wanting the bikes replaced.

globalti
    Free Member

Surely the resin wouild melt then re-set if it was affected? The carbon fibre would be unaffected. As long as the bike is the same shape, I wouldn’t worry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fire damage’ is closed to new replies.