Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Finding underground leaks – How/Who?
  • Alphabet

Long shot but you never know on here 😉

I'm on a springwater system (domestic house). I've got a tank in a field with a pipe into my garage. A pump in the garage then pumps the water on demand into my house and also into my neighbours house.

There seems to be a leak somewhere in the underground pipe running to my neighbours house. Not enough to make the ground wet (so far) but enough to keep the pump running on and off 24h a day and enough that the water in the tank is going down each day (usually it's full each morning).

Can anyone recommend a company or person who works in the Calderdale area who can test the pipe/ground to determine where the leak is?

Alternatively does anyone know of any testing equipment that I can hire?

Ta

Murray

JCB?

yossarian
    Free Member

khani
    Free Member

is the pipe wide enough to fit a drain camera up it, if so call a local drain company up and send a camera up it and see if you can see any damage if you can, measure how far along its gone in the pipe and dig there,
    you can get small drain cameras on a reel with a moniter in the van

wwaswas

'you can get small drain cameras on a reel with a moniter in the van'

make sure they at least give it a wipe with a damp cloth after the last drain they did as that sounds like a very good way to contaminate your fresh water supply.

khani
    Free Member

if its leaking underground it may be contaminated anyway, when the level in the tank drops whats in the ground will leak back in the pipe

lovewookie

A drainage contractor should be able to get it pressure tested. That'll tell you if there are any leaks.

I guess the amount of effort needed to be thrown at this does depend on what type of pipe it is and what distance it travels. If you're dealing with a short ish length of alkathene then it may just be worthwhile digging it up and replacing it.

BigJohn

Or put a liner in the pipe

matthewlhome
    Free Member

dont mock divining rods! I work for a water company and have watched guys mark a spot and then dig down exactly onto a leaking water main after conventional methods (the plans) have failed. was mightily impressed.

would be concerned about backflow into the tank though – although there should be some form of backflow protection on the system for it to meet with water regulations i would think.

other than that it requires digging a hole and isolating each section of pipe (you can squeeze it off if mdpe plastic). normally look at a meter to see if it is still spinning, but i guess you could use the pump running as an indicator.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Finding underground leaks – How/Who?’ is closed to new replies.