Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Films that were much better than you expected them to be. Underhyped?
  • franki
    Free Member

The Chronicles Of Riddick seemed to be pretty much universally panned, but it was an great film IMHO.
    I loved the style of filming and the look of the worlds, characters, vehicles, weapons and armour they’d created. The story was good too I thought, with a nice twist at the end.

A lot of folks didn’t like the ending of X-men Last Stand, but I thought it was brilliant. (Was a bit of a Marvel Comics geek in my younger days though, so it didn’t seem too far-fetched to me!)

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’ll ninth In Bruges.

robbo1234biking

Sideways – I really enjoyed it but didnt think I would the slow pace was great and you could really enjoy with a bottle of wine!

DrJ

Remakes are nearly always utter shite but an exception is City of Angels, remake of Wim Wenders’ Wings of Desire which is really great.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Chronicles Of Riddick seemed to be pretty much universally panned, but it was an great film IMHO

I was underwhelmed at the cinema but liked it much more when it was on TV a few weeks back.

Recently The Prestige was much better than I thought it would be.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Another vote for In Bruges here, thought it was wonderful.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I wish I’d have hung on a bit so I could have eleventhed it.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Oh, and I liked Role Models after going in with really low expectations.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

For a foreign language action type film i love Taxi. The car driving seanes are great the 2 follow ups get a little silly but are fun just make sure you watch the subtitle versions and not the dubed or the shit us version.

Gilles

First Les visiteurs, now Taxi, I’m sorry but no, you really can’t mentioned them…And those films are released in Arthouse theater which is really really incredible and sad. We need a thread on “foreign movies which should have never been exported”.

hp_source

I’ll 11th In bruges.

Also ‘Man on Wire’ (not Fire) about the french guy who high wired between the world trade center towers.

and ‘Pierrepoint’ – Timothy Spall at his best.
    and ‘Right at your Door’ – tense and worrying if it were ever to really happen.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Clueless
    Jerry Maguire
    Forest Gump
    Robocop
    Demolition Man
    Transformers
    Sound of Music

All better than I expected.

Sandwich

I can’t remember much hype about it, The Princess Bride not just your ho-hum run-of-the-mill fairy tale.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

little miss sunshine hadnt even heard of it when I went in to the cinema but it was the first film on.

Agreed, it’s fantastic. Saw it at the cinema then I bought it on DVD for £3 or something, and sat and pissed myself laughing again.

Also, my all time favourite film – So I Married an Axe Murderer.
    Mike Myres at his very best, I watch it once a year and love it every time.

“Would you tek look at that boy’s heed, it’s like Sputnik!”

MrK
    Free Member

the original funny games was just so amazing, i saw it in the cinema in 1998 and again the other day – so good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhh!

Run Lola Run.

Subtitled, and brilliant.

zaskar
    Free Member

The Forbidden Kingdom,

Spiderman 1 and 3,

Ben Hur,

Much ado about nothing (Branagh),

The English Patient,

I was suprised by Iron Man as I thought it would stink but it was good.

DrJ

The English Patient

What? You expected to not like a film with Juliette Binoche?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sandwich

I can’t remember much hype about it, The Princess Bride not just your ho-hum run-of-the-mill fairy tale.

If you’ve not done so already you should definitely check out Stardust. In a similar vein to Princess Bride but better in so many ways, although not quite as slapstick

IdleJon

Ben Hur,

Underhyped?????

I’ll add votes for In Bruges and Little Miss Sunshine, but then I’ll try anything with Alan Arkin in.

I know it was well hyped but I was expecting to hate Brokeback Mountain, having hated everything else by Ang Lee. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Some recent ones that spring to memory

The Lives of Others
    Sweet Mud
    You the Living
    The Bothersome Man
    The Class

dooosuk
    Free Member

Momento

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s not necessarily underhyped films, but films you found better than you expected.

Me and me mate were watching that ‘Brick Vader’ YouTube clip t’other day, and were discussing just how good Star Wars actually is, as a film. The later three probbly got even more global hype, but weren’t in the same league.

The original Cube film was a real surprise. Great idea, executed really well. Then there’s stuff like Ultraviolet, and Aeon Flux, which I expected to be shit, but were actually quite good.

DrJ

Aeon Flux

Charlize Theron in sexy outfits – what’s not to like??

IdleJon

were discussing just how good Star Wars actually is, as a film.

Sorry but they are complete rubbish. Badly written, often badly acted, basic plots. Even the cast seemed to hate them.

BUT they struck a nerve with me because I was the right age when they first came out – I was 8 when the first film arrived and I’d never seen anything like that before. Watching them now and they often seem, dare I say it, rather boring, but maybe that’s because I know them inside out.

ransos
    Free Member

The lives of others – best film I’ve seen in many years.

The Game – it really draws you in.

mogrim

Zoolander was much better than I expected.

benkitcher
    Free Member

Fargo. Yeeeeap.

benkitcher
    Free Member
    Flaperon

Pans Labyrinth is one of my surprise favourites, along with Stardust. Oh, and I really liked Knowing despite the press panning it.

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for “Stardust”, fantastic film. Absolutely brilliant.

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

Last Night – a fairly little known film that never really got noticed when it came out. Quick synopsis: The world is going to end at midnight, no explanation why or how and it focuses on a few people and how they deal with it in their own way

imdb link

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sorry but they are complete rubbish.

Hanging too good for this one? Disemboweling? Flaying alive? Impaling? Keel-hauling?

loddrik
    Free Member

Crank – hilarious, superb.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hanging too good for this one? Disemboweling? Flaying alive? Impaling? Keel-hauling?

You’ll have to do me with him then. Except, what he said was an understatement in terms of just how bad they were.

GrahamS

Loddrik: Crank? Really?? I thought it was a complete mess. Couldn’t make up its mind what it wanted to be.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You’ll have to do me with him then.

(Gets pokers and branding-irons up to temperature…)

IdleJon

(Squares up to RB with fake light sabre….)

If you read my post again you might notice that I actually love the 1st 3 films, but that doesn’t alter the fact that they are pretty poor.

tinribz
    Free Member

Green Street Hooligans 2. It gets a right slagging off on IMDB but I actually enjoyed it. Had more of a TV drama than Hollywood feel, only with people getting their head’s caved in every 5 minutes. Certainly put me off the idea of going to prison in the 90s, is it set in the past? also OMG took me about a week to realize the fowl mouthed bent prison guard was Diana Troy.

Another UK recent underrated was Clubbed, this time really set in the 80s. More good old gratuitous violence.

cuckoo
    Free Member

One more to add:

The Flying Scotsman

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Films that were much better than you expected them to be. Underhyped?’ is closed to new replies.