Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…
  • AD

Event Horizon

ac282

The road

teadrinker
    Free Member

I accidently found my Mum and Dads’s home movie. That was pretty shocking and scarred me for life 😯

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yeah … The Road or I am Legend (the mob rule, rather than the vamps)

It’s the break down of society for me, not monsters or ghost etc… as it seems much more possible 😯

Edit “much more”??… maybe I should have said slighly more

andywoods
    Free Member

my wedding video does it for me

richmtb

The Road was pretty creepy.

Its a while since i’ve seen Event Horizon. I remember it had a really nice creeping sense of terror rather than out and out scares. Its out on Blu Ray I might try and get it on the way home and watch it tonight…

…on my own in the dark

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hills have eyes! – the bit where he goes down in to their village is the stuff of film-legend.

The sequel was garbage.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Don’t be afraid of the dark got me.

Also the orphanage (+1 for the child with the freaky sack over his head) – until the end, then i realised it wasn’t scary!

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

the rape scene in the Girl with the Dragon…….made me sweat and was just on the brink of walking out when i resettled 😯

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Threads

grantus
    Free Member

Hotel Rwanda and Survivor both had a real sense of menace and tension throughout.

plumber
    Free Member

Some months after watching the ring I went for a pee in the middle of the night. I never put the lights on to do this.

As I wandered back to bed somewhat sleepy eyed I rounded a corner to see the chick with hair over her face slowly stumbling toward me.

My ex wife will never know how close she came to dying that night, she’d been planning it for weeks apparently, I saw the funny side of it after we divorced 🙂

Plum

jag61

+2 for dog soldiers and i would add the hills have eyes it was on last week so i didnt watch it. scared me enough first time round

jools182
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

+1 for the Descent

at one point while watching it I didn’t just jump, I jumped and made a noise!

😆

Scamper
    Free Member

An American Werewolf in London, as a 10 yr old. Just laugh at it now.

rhid

I bought dog soliders to try and cure myself of the fear of big scary monsters in the woods. It really didn’t work.

faint
    Free Member

This thread has given me a nice list of movies to go through.
    I nominate 13 Ghosts

jools182
    Free Member

I watched American Werewolf in London at about the same age

The moor scene has aged well I think, it’s still excellent

hammerite
    Free Member

The Ring.

I was a kid when Ghostwatch was on TV. Properly cacked it.

I must’ve been a similar age when watching American Werewolf in London too. Shortly after I went on holiday to the North Yorks Moors with my Grandparents. They towed their caravan there and I was supposed to be sleeping in the awning – I think I lasted about 5 mins each night before knocking on the door asking to sleep in the caravan!

noteeth
    Free Member

Threads

One of the bleakest films ever.

sparkyrhino

shocked, but never scared witless by any film……SO FAR

ononeorange

Any bloody musical. The mere thought strikes terror into me.

JCL
    Free Member

Threads and The Road. Quite plausible futures. The rest mentioned are films of the imagination and Hitchcock did that better than anyone 50 years agao.

noteeth
    Free Member

Quite plausible futures

And possibly the best Radio Times cover of all time…

soundninjauk

My housemates and I watched The Descent when we were at uni. Once the film was done one of them went down into the basement (where we kept the bikes) for some reason, so obviously we turned the lights off and did our best impression of that noise the creepy underground creatures made. He came flying up the stairs and out of the door like a rocket.

hels
    Free Member

Blair Witch Project – was away for work so went on my own, to kill an evening. Big mistake.

The Ring scared the hell out of me. I saw a documentary about how they filmed the famous scene when Sadako crawls up the well and when she crawls out of the TV. They were filmed backwards, e.g. she was crawling down the well, then rolled the other way, which is what makes it look so jerky and unnatural. Tres creepy.

weeksy

plumber – Member
    Some months after watching the ring I went for a pee in the middle of the night. I never put the lights on to do this.

As I wandered back to bed somewhat sleepy eyed I rounded a corner to see the chick with hair over her face slowly stumbling toward me.

My ex wife will never know how close she came to dying that night, she’d been planning it for weeks apparently, I saw the funny side of it after we divorced

Plum

Brilliant 🙂

cheers_drive

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    The Descent.

The fact that the girl at the end is lost underground scared me more than the monsters.

For me it was a relief when the monsters came and they stopped going through very small gaps which is the scariest thing I can imagine

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There was a play on TV in the eighties about pilots at a US airbase in the UK getting off their heads on heroin and one of them dropping the bomb.
    IIRC it was pretty much entirely set in a room on the base but it really freaked me out for ages afterwards- really felt like ‘Threads’ could happen any day.

loddrik
    Free Member

Alien, scared me man and boy!

Aliens, not scary as such but the last hour is just gut wringing tension unlike any other film ever made.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I generally don’t watch horror, due to always having been a wimp. On the plus side, I can count the no. of nightmares I’ve had in 30 years of adult life, on one hand. At 46, I still haven’t watched Alien all the way thru, nor Omen, nor any other horror for that matter. Making a cup of tea at key points is much more important or going to bed early half way thru. 😳 😉 I can however happily read any horror

actually, I don’t think I’ve ever managed a hospital programme all the way thru.

yodagoat
    Free Member

The Sixth Sense! Scared the shite out me!

richmars

If I say the first Alien film I’m going to get laughed at, but this was before the internet, and the reviews didn’t give much away, and it was in a cinema.

SaxonRider

yodagoat – Member

The Sixth Sense! Scared the shite out me!

Ditto that! I would come home late at night from meetings in my little Canadian town, and blow right through stop signs for fear of looking out my car window at a dead cyclist.

[Believe me, there was no danger in blowing through the stop sign…]

andypaul99
    Free Member

The shining still scares Me as much today as 25 years ago, would also say the exorsist but I think that’s more shocking than scary

sprootlet
    Free Member

The Silence of the Lambs scared the bejesus out of me, 1/2 through my friend clamped her hand around my arm and said “i don’t like this film”, I nearly shot out of the chair…..
    Anthony Hopkins was amazing, I think that’s one of his best films.

DavidB
    Free Member

The Signalman

All that cgi stuff just makes me laugh, this was a proper old ghost story that makes me poo when I go near railway tunnels

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Jaws

sevenandnine

+1 for Paperhouse
    The Mothman Prophesies
    The Ring

labsey
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    No Country for Old Men where Anton Chigurh challenges the old man in the gas station to flip a coin for his life. That scene has stayed with me ever since I saw the film, Javier Bardem is so chilling.

+1.

Don’t really watch horror movies. There was some tense moments in Drive and Apocalypse Now which had me on the edge of the sofa.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Films that scared the **** out of you as an adult…’ is closed to new replies.