Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • field & trek…
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

…used to be a quality outlet, now under sports direct ownership it's gone all chav! see what i mean?

druidh
    Free Member

To be fair, it was going downhill long before SD took over. Poor stock, late deliveries, poor customer service. Shame as it really was the best operation in the UK for a while – shop or mail order. Getting the new F&T catalogue was like Christmas.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

When did this happen? I bought a pair of proper hill-walking boots there last September and the shop seemed pretty pukka to me…

Say it's not so – all we'll have left is Millets and Black's…

jon1973
    Free Member

I guess they do what they do to survive. I suspect it was bought by Sports Direct becuae it wasn't doing very well.

I've noticed a few LBS near me have started to 'downgrade' a little to appeal to a wider market. Sad, but a sign of the times.

Are there many of them about? I've only ever come across about 2 of them as far as I can remember.

willard

There's one in the basement of Sports Direct in Cambridge, but it's a shadow of its former self. The only decent stuff they have is the climbing kit. The rest is just average "hiking" wear.

The loss of Blacks from Cambridge was a big blow. Used to love the place and spent a fortune there over the years. Even though I took advantage of their closing down sale, I felt guilty paying so little for it. Felt sorry for the staff too.

geoffj

The shop in Ambleside was excellent (last there, just after it was refurbished after the fire). The one in Kendal is bloody awful – and I've had a couple of website orders cancelled for reasons unknown. 😕

augustuswindsock

Potentially the demise of these bigger chain shops could be a good thing, quality independants like outside in Hathersidge, needle sports and rock and run in the lakes and ld mountain centre in Newcastle etc stand more chance of surviving hopefully!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

That is a shame… in the mid 90s it was the place to go for kit. What went wrong?

Helios
    Free Member

willard: I know what you mean… That basement is actually my idea of Hell… Thank god for Open Air is all I'm saying otherwise there'd be no-where left to buy stuff…

cxi
    Free Member

Sports Direct (so Mike Ashley) has already tried to buy Blacks Leisure Group (Blacks / Millets) but got told to clear off (though he already owns 28% of BLG).

He has to make another bid by 1st April or shut up ((DT)

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I find it quite handy for picking up cheap and cheerful accesories like gas for the stove and waterproofing for boots.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Way back when in the dark and distant past I used to work for Field & Trek at a few of their stores, as well as a technical advisor for the Buying Dept and customer enquiries at Head Office (when it was still in Brentwood). I went in to one of the stores a little while back and it was really nasty. Loads of crap clothing mixed in with some average stuff from bigger brands like Berghaus. The only plus side was that they were selling off loads of quality old stock at stupid prices. I got a couple of pairs of smart wool riding socks for £3 a pair! The best place to go is Snow & Rock but they are pricey.

Andy

cxi – Member
    Sports Direct (so Mike Ashley) has already tried to buy Blacks Leisure Group (Blacks / Millets) but got told to clear off (though he already owns 28% of BLG).

And some of the major suppliers are rumoured to be threatening to boycott Blacks if Ashley acquires.

GrahamA
    Free Member

There some (but not much) info here

I think that the problem with F&T must have been a combination of buying up the old Karrimor shops, moving their warehouse and then a period of rapid expansion. I think that they were quite slow in getting into web sales as well but I could be wrong.

I could have simply been a case of the owners wanting to move on when the MD was ready to retire.

Its a shame as it used to be a fantastic place to work
    Graham (F&T Brentwood Alumni)

aikon
    Free Member

Ellis Brigham are good, new shop in Colchester called Outdoor Adventure as well, doing bike stuff alongside outdoor gear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘field & trek…’ is closed to new replies.