Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 420 total)
  • few questions about DE razor shaving……
  • chewkw
    Free Member

mooman – Member

Here is a picture I found of a nickel plated NEW.
    What you think??

That looks much much better than the gold plated one! Very nice and clean. I guess if you must have gold plating then the gold must be shinning all the time otherwise it might as well be brass.

I only have one opened comb travel razor so I wonder how does that shave by comparison to red tip.

mooman
    Free Member

I have not used the NEW yet. But from every … and I mean every review I have read on them, They do a superb shave. Tops most lists.
    Not bad for an 80 year old razor

chewkw
    Free Member

mooman – Member

I have not used the NEW yet. But from every … and I mean every review I have read on them, They do a superb shave. Tops most lists.
    Not bad for an 80 year old razor

In that case I must get one to try it out. I think there might be some on evilbay but bidding tends to get crazy every time something like that comes up.

mooman
    Free Member

The NEW’s tend to go for fairly reasonable money. Nothing compared to Slim or Fatboy prices.
    EBay is hit or miss with prices. Recently saw (and missed) an immaculate boxed Aristocrat adjustable (gold plated Slim) go for less than £40 delivered.
    Then another time you will see rough Slims go for £50 plus … madness!

sadexpunk

much as i hate to say this, we’ve just been away for a couple of days, so i took one of these….

a gillette blue 2 disposable and it shaves great. i dont want it to, but it was smooth and gave a decent close shave. also used bog-standard foam as i didnt want to pack soap, brush, ‘good’ razor, bowl etc. it also sounded great as i was shaving, that sort of ‘scratching’ sound as it cut the whiskers.
    amazon selling 20 of them for £10. its not right is it! 😀

im obviously not turning back to ‘the dark side’ cos i love the whole process now of mixing the lather in a bowl, using my vintage gillette with different blades blah de blah, its the pamperingness of it all.

whats my point? er…. i dunno, still trying to work that out myself haha 😀

mooman
    Free Member

20 of them for £10?
    Or 100 Astra blades for £8 … and you get to use a ‘proper’ razor too …

chewkw
    Free Member

No disposable razor for me regardless of how cheap they are because I don’t enjoy shaving with them. Actually, the retail price is not cheap at all but they are cheap to produce.

I am using Astra blue (with blue wrapping) at the moment which I consider very good. I think they were old stock that I stumbled upon while in the far east.

However, do watch out for fake ones … without either the blue/green wrapping. The video clip below will tell you …

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58Y8TvFLpY[/video]

Muke
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection….

Best (read cheapest) place for a Merkur 34C ?

Any thoughts on a Slant Bar Safety Razor ?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

What. In. God’s. Name. Is. The. Point. Of. All. This?

On one side of the forum, we have someone probably chiding someone else for daring to feel the need to have matching coloured dust caps on their bike.

On the other side of the forum, we have this. ELEVEN pages of discussion about shaving with the sort of razor my grandfather will have used in the 50s.

Seriously guys. Get real.. 😆

It’s just shaving. It’s boring. Might as well be talking about different pooing techniques to use on mahogany loo seats.

chewkw
    Free Member

I received my ebay bid yesterday – a heavy (61g) Gillette Ball End Tech made in England. Shaved very well.

The weight is nice but the handle is a bit short and thin.

I like it. 😆

no_eyed_deer – Member

What. In. God’s. Name. Is. The. Point. Of. All. This?

What is your hobby anyway?

I bet you do boring stuff as well.

😆

sadexpunk

off on holiday next week, so thought id get some cheap & cheerful disposables and a can of gillette gel (75p from £3.50 i think!) just for less faff. got these from tesco on offer.

thought id try one tonight just so theres no nasty horror-movie-slasher-fest surprises once im out there.

hate to say this, but it gave me as good a shave as ive had yet :-/ that really p*sses me off >-(
    i want my birth-year slim to be the best. id even take the 40s style or flare tip to be better, but a plastic piece of sh*t shaving as good as it gets? whats going on??

thats both the bic and gillette plaggy disposables both coming up trumps. i think i like the smaller flat head, feels more nimble too.
    i still love the ‘pamperingness’ of the ‘proper’ shaving and taking my time over it, but you cant knock these cheapo efforts, you really cant!

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member
    off on holiday next week, so thought id get some cheap & cheerful disposables and a can of gillette gel (75p from £3.50 i think!) just for less faff. got these from tesco on offer.

As travel razor that’s fine as you don’t have to worry about losing them. I just use my aluminum Tech when I travel to the far east as shaving blades are cheap over there and a small can of Gillette gel. 😀

thought id try one tonight just so theres no nasty horror-movie-slasher-fest surprises once im out there.

hate to say this, but it gave me as good a shave as ive had yet :-/ that really p*sses me off

😆 Yes, they do shave well but I still prefer DE razor over the plastic ones.

theotherjonv

Interesting – and I agree that I can get as close with a new disposable as I can with my de. However, regularly using a disposable, I used to get razor rash, ingrowing hairs, etc that have gone away since I went to a de. Now maybe if I always used a new disposable, and if I took the same care and prep as I do now then maybe they’d also go away. But it’d cost a chunk more, and as above if I’m going to the trouble of using a proper shaving cream with a bowl and brush, I’m not going to spoil it by dragging a piece of plastic over my face afterwards.

Anyone read the editorial in the latest issue of stw? It’s that, isn’t it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Seriously guys. Get real..

It’s just shaving. It’s boring. Might as well be talking about different pooing techniques to use on mahogany loo seats

Love the forum name.

sadexpunk

bit of an update……
    dont know whats changing, but im finding it harder to get a good shave these days with my gillettes. i really do prefer my plastic gillette disposable.
    just out of curiosity i asked over on b&b if theres any nice versions of a flat-headed razor like these and got a few decent replies. i didnt know these razors existed, trac II’s, schick krona’s, and the most interesting to me is the schick injectors. like the gillette DE, they do various aggressiveness and also an adjustable.

thought id see if any of you chaps have come across any of these, or indeed use them yourselves?
    had a quick look on ebay and they seem to be US based again, and same sort of prices, but id like to try an injector, either an E, a G, or an adjustable M?

interested in thoughts/experiences…….

epicyclo

Ye gods, you know you’re getting old when the razor you bought new is now “vintage”

Gillette 1969 O2 Super Adjustable

Don’t know what all this faff is with brushes etc. Hot shower or splash face with really hot water, no soap, shave, job done.

_tom_
    Free Member

Seriously guys. Get real..

haha this. For **** sake. I just clicked on this thread as I’ve always seen it pop up but never thought to have a look. Beard trimmer with the guard off, job done.

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

bit of an update……
    dont know whats changing, but im finding it harder to get a good shave these days with my Gillette.

I don’t know about you but three passes from my Gillete Tech give me the smoothest shave every time.

I am just using standard Astra blade by the way.

I think it’s got to do with your technique or the blade you are using.

What’s your set up? i.e. Razor and blade.

Improve your technique first and perhaps change the blade before you start searching for other razor.

sadexpunk

I think it’s got to do with your technique or the blade you are using.

What’s your set up? i.e. Razor and blade.

Improve your technique first and perhaps change the blade before you start searching for other razor.
    i flit between a slim, 40s superspeed and flare tip, and also vary between astra blades, israeli, permasharp, feathers……. all the time trying to find that BBS shave.
    i have a troublesome area under my jaw that can never get smooth, and sometimes get sore trying (too many passes).
    others have also suggested technique, but ive watched sooooo many videos i refuse to believe that 😀
    when i use the plaggy gillette blue, it instantly clears my face of the lather, i can press a little harder and it just ‘feels better’.

dunno, i just think a smaller, flatter head suits me better, so i want to try these injectors.

big_scot_nanny

I find in general that using the same type razor all the time decreases effectiveness. Esp if used every day.

I keep the DE (now with feathers, best by a mile) for a few days worth of growth, but if traveling have both wilkinson sword and Gillette 2 blade fixed head disposablesor for every day shaves. I alternate between them.

Works for me, but after a few days growth, nothing but nothing beats a DE shave with a fresh feather blade, brush, shaving soap, alum block finish and a wee application of nice smelling lotion. Champion.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Switched soaps recently – recommend:

Inexpensive, 150g per pot, uses just a dab on the brush for a 3-pass shave with brush-squeezed-out cream finish and smells great.

Drac

For **** sake. I just clicked on this thread as I’ve always seen it pop up but never thought to have a look. Beard trimmer with the guard off, job done.

Don’t worry you’ll reach puberty one day and then you’ll have proper stubble.

stumpy01

Mr Woppit – Member

Switched soaps recently – recommend:

That’s what I use. My Wife bought me it as a present. I think you can get it from John Lewis.

I got one of these razors for my birthday, after seeing this thread around Christmas time (I think).
    I got a Merkur something and it works pretty well. I also got some Astra Premium blades and they seem pretty good.

Shaving with this is not as close as using the Mach 3 I was using before, but it is a lot more comfortable and I get barely any irritation. I wonder how much of this is because I have to be a lot more careful now than I was with the Mach3, or whether there is a benefit to using the different razor & blades.

Cost is definitely cheaper once you have paid for the handle.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s what I use. My Wife bought me it as a present. I think you can get it from John Lewis.

I get mine here.

Drac

Shaving with this is not as close as using the Mach 3

Crank it open a bit more and it’ll far closer. Be careful though.

stumpy01

Drac – Moderator

Crank it open a bit more and it’ll far closer. Be careful though.

Erm….what do you mean? The gap between the blade & the handle?
    It’s just a screw-up handle….there’s no adjustment on it as far as I know. Loosening it will just make everything rattle around.
    I think it’s one of these:

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/merkur/4132678-Merkur-Classic-33C-Safety-Razor-Chrome.html

you just unscrew the handle and the whole thing comes to bits – stick a blade in and off you go….

To be honest I am perfectly happy with it not being so close. I used to get a really sore neck & quite a few ingrowing hairs which I haven’t had any of since using this razor. I think because it’s not cutting the hair so short, there is less irritation and the hair isn’t getting caught under the skin when it regrows.

What razors are adjustable, then? Can you point one or two out for me to have a look at….

Cougar

The Futur is adjustable I think.

That’s what I use. My Wife bought me it as a present.

Heh, likewise. Nice stuff.

Drac

It’s just a screw-up handle….there’s no adjustment on it as far as I know. Loosening it will just make everything rattle around.

Ah! My Merkur has adjustment levels by unscrewing the bottom it widens the gap on the blade.

sadexpunk

no experiences of schicks anyone?

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

no experiences of schicks anyone?

Nope. I am sure they can shave but the last time I used something rather similar was Gillette II long time ago.

Not sure why you are having difficulty getting a good shave from your Gillette DE razor. I find those adjustable or butterfly open ones too bulky so my preference is for 3 piece DE razor like Gillette Tech. Some say Tech can be a bit mild but to me they are just perfect, not aggressive and I can shave quickly.

I bet it is your technique especially the angle of shave plus the unnecessary pressure when you are shaving.

😛

sadexpunk

ah right, so the tech heads are smaller than butterfly are they? mine are all butterfly…..

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

ah right, so the tech heads are smaller than butterfly are they? mine are all butterfly…..

They are not exactly smaller but I would say much flatter (went to bathroom for a quick check – yes, much flatter).

You can try/buy Gillette Tech (3 piece) as they are much cheaper than any of those that you have. Except Gillette Tech Hybrid … bloody price is getting more expensive now.

😀

edit: you can also try Gillette Tech open comb …

sadexpunk

just a bit of an update for those interested……

ive bought a few bits and bobs from ebay, the first is an ever ready 1912 single edge razor. looks lovely….

it just didnt cut close or smooth enough tho, and the large head was cumbersome in all the nooks and crannies. read up on b&b about a SEvette, which is basically one of these modded by taking the safety bar away so its a cross between a razor and a shavette.
    decided nothing ventured nothing gained, got the hacksaw and file to mine, and made my own 🙂

just had my first (and i think only) shave with it. yes its a bit closer, but my face feels red raw, and its still not as close in the contours of my face as the plastic gillettes and bics.

ive got another one coming in the post, so there seems little point in modding it, ill try it again as intended. the blades are a bit thicker than DE, more like a thinner stanley blade, not flexy at all. will have another try with it, but im resting all hopes on a couple of injectors ive bought from ebay. theyre on the way from US, so ill report back when ive got them. ones a schick type E….

and the others an adjustable injector, a PAL…..

i hope the PAL is the best one yet, cos i love the look of it, if not itll be back to the blue plastic! :-/

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

… 1912 single edge razor.”

I got three of them that I bought in bundle with a fatboy.

I would not shave with them coz they are ancient! 😆

and the others an adjustable injector, a PAL…..

PAL looks far more promising but finding blades will be a nightmare.

I rather keep to DE as I can speed shave in 10-15 mins.

I still think your technique needs improvement or get the open comb DE razor. 😀

mooman
    Free Member

Surprised you not getting a close shave from the Gillette vintages. Only one I cannot get on with is a New. I think the OC does not suit me.
    The disposables are ok. The DE are far superior IMO.

sadexpunk

i watched countless vids on youtube when i first started, with the grain, across, against, 30 degree angle blah de blah. i dont think my technique could be any better. my own personal problem really is that the larger size of the (DE and SE) heads go against the contours and curves of my neck. face is ok, but to get a good close shave on my neck i need to shave across the curve of neck and jaw. the razor touches both sides but cant get close in the middle. thats where the small size of the disposables wins (and hopefully the small size of the injectors).

i havent tried a tech yet, so im willing to try one of those, and also can you give me an example of an OC razor that may suit me better chewkw?

thanks

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member
    i havent tried a tech yet, so im willing to try one of those, and also can you give me an example of an OC razor that may suit me better chewkw?

Gillette 3-piece OC can be rather expensive on evilbay UK but then you may find one at a reasonable price too.

Try finding one with the head being flatter in 3 piece as they are less bulky.

Alternative get a new one like Merkur 15c DE OC from here. I used them several times. Very good.

This is mint from evilbay UK if you can get it but I bet the price will reach £60 including postage by the time you bid.

Search on evilbay UK for “VINTAGE GILLETTE NEW TECH HANDLE RAZOR 1940s OPEN COMB 363892 IN BAKELITE CASE”. You can sell it to me cheaply later if you don’t like it. 😀

sadexpunk

thanks mate, problem is i’ll be on 8 razors when these injectors get here from the states. how many more do i need to buy to find shaving nirvana?? 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

sadexpunk – Member

thanks mate, problem is i’ll be on 8 razors when these injectors get here from the states. how many more do i need to buy to find shaving nirvana??

One for me. I went back to black handle super speed belonging to my father then it snowball from there.

I like them so much I started collecting them in various form so I have more than 10 now (can’t remember how many) 😯

sadexpunk

thing is, im not a collector-type person, i dont want a load of different razors. when i find ‘the one’, ill sell all the others i think.

just need to find it! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘few questions about DE razor shaving……’ is closed to new replies.