Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Feeling good about being old.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Two days on the South Downs Way from Petersfield over the weekend.

Turning on to the last uphill section at Jevington before the ridge above Eastbourne and I found myself behind a bunch of “20-30 something” blokes on bikes with the last two already giving up and pushing.

The trail was earth with half-buried old cobblestones and the suspension really kicked in as I started the long grind up.

As I weaved slowly through the rest of the riders, all giving up and getting off, one by one, I heard one of them say:

“My parents are older than him”…

Should’ve seen the expressions when I told them my bus pass was due in November…

cinnamon_girl

Well done Mr Woppit! These young pups need to be shown not to write off middle-aged folk. 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oops. That should have read: “My parents are younger than him”…

Grimy
    Free Member

Good on you woppit. Whilst I’m only 32, it’s nice to know age is no excuse and there’s hope for us all.

johndoh
    Free Member

Going senile? 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Good on ya, that’s a fair old climb out of Jevington, just shows you it’s about fitness and technique and not age. Saying that I found I got bored on the climbs when I was younger, I’m now 40+ and have grown to love them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well done

MrWoppit
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Going senile?

What were we talking about?

cynic-al
    Free Member

AWESOME!

franki
    Free Member

Excellent work! There’s nothing like the feeling of smug superiority when cleaning a climb that others can’t! 😈

globalti
    Free Member

At 56 I can show some young ‘uns a thing or two on the mountain bike and having gone over 99% to the road 3 years ago I’m still learning the lore of road riding.

However I’m not enjoying this year; I feel emotionally unstable, miserable, lonely and unable to face decisions and the libido has nose-dived. I think it’s called the Male Menopause.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

gone over 99% to the road

And…… there’s your problem.

DrJ

Hmmm …. just looking at getting some new insurance, filled in the details on the website and clicked on the button to find the recomended policy for me. Came up with one that includes free travel insurance for my GRANDKIDS. FFS 🙁

johnners
    Free Member

As I weaved slowly through the rest of the riders, all giving up and getting off, one by one

Pah! You should have done it on your Brompton.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, good on you. I also enjoy a bit of smug satisfaction besting some younger riders both going up and going down. I’m 56 and am on number 19 of my target of 25 Munros on the bike this year. Would have hit the target already but for the weather and bruising a rib

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Feeling good about being old.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM