• This topic has 41 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Moda.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • ****' Dogs and their owners – trail running content.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Out for a run this evening, headed for the off-road section. Just at a point where two trails merge, I come up to a couple on the other trail. I gave my usual cheery "Evening". The bloke sort of points ahead and looks as if he's saying something – my crucial mistake being that I was in mp3 oblivion. Next thing I know is their collie comes flying for me. Does a bit of not very nice growling and barking. I stop and face him/her at which point he kind of shirks back towards his owners. I can see them saying sorry, so I say, "that's ok, no worries" and off I go again. Only to feel the fecker at my ankles again. This time he definitely tried to give me a nip. His owners call him back again. I give my best "I'm a bit miffed but I'm not going to make a big issue out of this" look and off I go again. The little bastard comes after me again! This time I stood my ground and waited for the owner. Wanting to say something really assertive and scary, I manage "Ammmmm, this is kind of not very funny anymore" so the owner then holds the dog by the collar so I can blast off and actually get out of the his sight.

I ran the next kilometer at around 4 minutes – the adrenaline was going quite a bit 🙂

I should have gone all TJ on them shouldn't I?

anagallis_arvensis

you've not got this rant thread thing worked out have you, you need to act much more alpha male, at least in what you write latter

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How DARE other people enjoy the countryside! How VERY DARE THEY!

Etc.

Relax, Darcy. It'll all be OK in the end.

69er
    Free Member

If in doubt bite the owner to demonstrate what you're worried about… 😉

Didn't they have a lead? I would have stopped running until I was sure they had the pooch control. Most folk know dogs off leads have a liking for running things and cycling things. Be considerate, we'd all get on better.

69er
    Free Member

Or take some Bombers in case of a repeat performance, your call.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, technically, it wasn't a rant… 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

He was only doing what is natural, you kept running away therefore the dog had to control you. How do you think they round up the sheep?
    1. Numpty owners should keep it on the lead.
    2. Don't run away from collies.
    3. Don't go TJ, he expects people to know through some type of telepathy that he has a phobia!!! 🙄 😉

The dog is only going to nip your ankles to make you go where it wants you to go, it's (probably) not going to attack you! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Be considerate, we'd all get on better.

I think, given that the dog tried to **** nibble my arse on the second "attack", that I was very considerate 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

I understand both sides – yes he/she is entitled to be out with their dogs but on my local trails I had a row with some dog-owners who pointed out I wasn't supposed to be riding on a particular trail. I was with friends who ignored them but I pointed out that I was wrong to do so but they were also walking their dogs in an area where signs show that dogs should be on a lead and non of theirs were – my point being both of us were wrong. The week prior to this my next door neighbours young girl had her teeth smashed in when some huge dog ran at her in this particular place and the owner ran off because he knew that the girl and her parents would have got the police involved but alas it didn't happen. We are allowed to use the countryside – repsonsibly!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know don. I want to go all medieval, but I love collies…I know he wasn't really trying to kill me.

I'm still disappointed that I couldn't raise my level of indignation above the level of "slightly annoyed" though. 🙁

Flaperon

Lassie being a notable exception, collies are wimps. Last time one nipped at my ankles it got a solid kick to the head in return and ran cowering back to its owners who were furious that I dared to discipline their dog.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Miffed to the max !oo! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Miffed to the max !oo!

I'm such a butch mental bastard when it comes to it. Always been a lover, not a fighter 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I got bit by a collie last week, I was pulling its toy in a game of tug of war at the time though, it went to get a better grip and grabbed my hand, it let go straight away but it still bloody hurt, makes you think what a properly angry dog could do!!

roundwheels
    Free Member

if i were a dog it sounds like i would want to bite you aswell

anagallis_arvensis

who me or darcey?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'd have booted it very hard, owners have a responsibility to keep their dogs under control, if its not under their control then it'd be under mine.

anagallis_arvensis

I'd have booted it very hard,

house. What do I win?

Anna-B
    Free Member

It was suggested to me a couple of weeks ago that I should run through a certain wood at a different time in the morning, so as to avoid a dog owner and her dog that runs after me, barks and scares me. She knows it scares me as I've told her, but she refuses to put it on a lead as she's "training it". I have shouted at her. Am also seriously considering buying some of this

Mace Muzzle

but it doesn't seem available in the UK which makes me wonder if its legal. I would tell her I had it though, then she could choose whether to have it on the lead or not. Some people give dogs a bad name.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He was only doing what is natural, you kept running away therefore the dog had to control you.

How do you think they round up the sheep?

Well I had never thought of it, but I guess it's by hanging on to their ankles ?

Deadly ….. do you go jogging with your "shaun the sheep" rucksack ?

anagallis_arvensis

we managed to sort out Kea's jogger chasing at a pretty early age, it was funny though when one decided the best option was to try running faster when a baby lurcher came up behind them 😆

Pickers

The current Mrs P got bitten a week or so ago while out walking.
    On a wide fire road type track, couple coming t'other way with a little pooch terrier of some sort and a bloody great rottweiler. Both on short leads. The dogs passed 2 or 3 people in front no problem, but when she got level the rottweiler went for her big time – teeth marks on both sides of thigh and holes in trousers type of thing!! The chap pulled the dog back pretty sharpish but damage done.
    She was pretty shaken up and upset obviously and had some proper bruises afterwards.

cheers_drive

Out for a run this evening, headed for the off-road section. Just at a point where two trails merge, I come up to a couple on the other trail. I gave my usual cheery "Evening". The bloke sort of points ahead and looks as if he's saying something – my crucial mistake being that I was in mp3 oblivion.

Like the idiot trail running on the the fastest section of the Timberland Trail in 50 Acre (Bristol) the other week? I saw him with plenty of time and slowed down expecting him to notice the sound of my brakes etc, I them said excuse me several times before shouting at the top of my voice and he just continued to the end of the best section of downhill. I don't have a problem with anyone running on the trail – the outdoors is for everyone – but to run on a clearly marked bike trail with a MP3 player turned up to the max takes the P.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The timberland's good for running but pretty shit for cycling. 🙂

Ernie, I can confirm that I was in my least sheep like mode. Weirdly enough though, see that quilt Shaun's lying on? I have owned that quilt.

porter_jamie

i love dogs, i have a dog, but a dog trying to nip someone is absolutely unacceptable. I think you did well to keep your cool. If a dog actually bit me i would kick it senseless, no question.

Jamie
    Free Member

If a dog actually bit me i would kick it senseless, no question.

Well. That's the fuse lit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

i would kick it senseless

Why ?

Have you got a 'loose screw' ?

Hohum
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    i would kick it senseless
    Why ?

Have you got a 'loose screw' ?

He doesn't.

But, I bet the dog does 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think that might be one of the lamest rants I've read so far on STW.

Anyway, the same thing has happened to me in a public park, BUT I actually got bit on the torso, by a doberman, and whilst I ranted at the owner, they actually were stupid enough to tell me the dog had bitten a runner before. It was ok though, because the previous bitten runner was a dog lover and hadn't made a fuss. What made it even more alarming was that I wasn't passing the owner or dog, it jumped a wall to get at me, well ahead of the owner.

donsimon
    Free Member

So, not the same then, OP was nipped on the ankle and you were bitten on the torso by a doberman. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

dd, sorry, I was only joking, just omitted the 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Just to repeat Banana, in case you can't **** read…it wasn't a rant. Merely a recounting of my close call with the savage beast of the Avon trail.

Calm down dear.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well you are clam man OP I would have kicked the crap out of the little nipper if it had bitten me.

Or begged for mercy if it was a Rotweiller!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh Jesus…

I couldn't really see myself kicking a collie senseless.

Calm down dear.

You lost the right to call me "dear" a long time ago 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well you are clam man OP….

Jamie
    Free Member

Has one of those clams got a helmet on? I would have thought the shell would have sufficed?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Me earlier this evening…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yous were dancing with wolves ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A lot happens on my runs 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘****' Dogs and their owners – trail running content.’ is closed to new replies.