Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • February half term family ideas.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

What should we do?

We were thinking somewhere warm like the Canaries but figure we would get bored because we like to be active.

Any ideas ( 2 adults and a 7 year old ).
    Probably not skiing, figure that will be easier when she is a bit bigger.

midlifecrashes

We went to the Canaries once, no one strapped us down.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why will skiing be better when she is older than 7

Blackpool?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Why will skiing be better when she is older than 7

This. Makes no sense. You and t’ missus will also be correspondingly older and frailer.
    The only valid reasons for not going on a ski holiday are:
    1) it’s insanely expensive
    2) you’re going on a snowboarding holiday instead.

Oh yes, 3) it’s late summer is a fair excuse too.

:-)

Get it booked.

5lab

the obvious answer this year is wherever you can afford. cheapest direct flights to the canaries or geneva for half term week are ~£500 return at the moment.

geomickb
    Free Member

I think skiing will be too stressful. My wife hasn’t been for years and wasn’t very confident back then. Daughter has never tried and I am visualising hysterics at the start of her lesson/ getting dressed.

It’s been a stressful 12 months ( health problems and redundancy) and I could do with a break. The wife wants a sunny package holiday but I think that will be hell.

I was thinking maybe get my daughter to have a couple of lessons on the dry ski slope before taking her.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Hell?

Wife and daughter chill by pool

You ride up/down mount teide then chill by pool

Not exactly Dantes inferno is it?

the-muffin-man

Skiing is my idea of hell.

Sitting in the sun drinking beer and relaxing in the middle of Feb – bring it on!

ampthill

Loads to do in the canaries

Surf
    Windsurf
    Swim
    Hike
    Cycle
    Climb

Our cheap option was often the Lake District. We only did cheap options. Ideally find a cottage with a leisure club pass included or pay for one. Or make sure your in one of the towns with swimming pool, climbing wall etc.

I’d put you in the high roller territory looking at booking an overseas trip 3 weeks out from a school holiday

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think skiing will be too stressful

That’s a fair challenge TBH :-)
    Especially if the budget is limited. If its not limited then just do a week with Snobizz. Guarantee your daughter will love it.

Home

The wife, perhaps not so much

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you can afford it then starting your child skiing at 7 is the ideal age IMO. The modern ski schools have a full on nursery programme with the younger children complete with food and other non skiing actuivities. Your child is learning with other children which is much less stressful than trying to teach them by yourself.

geomickb
    Free Member

I’m not a high roller but I’ve just accepted a job offer, so I think it’s only sensible to blow my redundancy!?

Looking at skiing options now.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Centre Parcs, obvs!

Personally I’m packing the other half and the off-spring off with teh out-laws for a week in sunny Wales

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sitting in the sun drinking beer and relaxing is my idea of hell.

Skiing in the middle of Feb – bring it on!

FTFY

Looking at skiing options now.

What dates?
    Roterstern. Fasching kommt ein Bischen spaeter dieses Jahr oder?

the-muffin-man

Centre Parcs, obvs!

The poor OP is thinking of slumming it on a skiing holiday – he’s not made of Centre Parcs money! :-)

ampthill

I’m not a high roller but I’ve just accepted a job offer, so I think it’s only sensible to blow my redundancy!?

Apologies for my ribbing

Sounds like a good plan

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tenerife, the big water park in the south and then there’s the little Teide to ride/drive up, boat ride to La Gomera etc.

poly
    Free Member

A ski holiday only needs to be as stressful as you want it to be!  Whilst you can pack 6 consecutive days of ski school in if you want it’s also perfectly viable to book 1-2-1 instructor for your wife for a morning to boost her confidence and then ski as much or as little as you wish.  It’s pretty exhausting so if money is no object and you want a catered chalet with a hot tub or a hotel with a pool and sauna then go for it!  You can also look at other options like snow shoeing, skidoing, dog sled rides, ice skating etc.  often those are things to be found in very family oriented small resorts with short runs.  If your wife and daughter find the experience stressful I’d look at yourself and ask if you are treating it like a family holiday or the perfect ski holiday you would have if they weren’t there.  I’ve seen quite a few “on the slopes from first lift to last lift, get me to the black runs” dads who seem to have missed the point of the family holiday.  When your daughter is 14 and you can’t keep up you’ll be wishing you had enjoyed more time mucking around with lazy starts, early finishes etc!

of course that does make it even more expensive in £ per mile of skiing…

RoterStern
    Free Member

What dates?
    Roterstern. Fasching kommt ein Bischen spaeter dieses Jahr oder?

Fasching’s biggest day is Rosenmontag which is the 20 February this year. That is assuming OP is thinking about Germany or Austria to go skiing.

geomickb
    Free Member

Anyone recommend anything like Snowfizz? Something like that may be the answer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.