Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Favourite sausages
  • redmex
    Free Member

What area of the UK makes the best sausages for sticking in a roll for the 10am break?

I find read great on the label but are no better than others, Cumberland, Lincolnshire are they any better than others?

And where is the cut off point for square sausage , Hadrian’s wall maybe?

Sometimes hard to find good square sausage, some butchers forgot they put salt in so chucked another handful in to make sure

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone else expecting freezer/lawn content?

tjagain

Crombies!  The best I have ever had.  Real meat in them and delicious.  You can get them mail order. 

https://www.crombiesofedinburgh.co.uk/sausages

J-R

Yes – that’s why I’m here.

binners

Booths have presently got these in

Apparently thy’re for 4-6 people

I beg to differ

lamp
    Free Member

@binners – i’m on my way!!!

hightensionline

Don’t care, just battered or in pastry/some form of bread. With sauce.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lincolnshire are my go-to generic “flavour” of sausage.

Edwards of Conwy my fave producer.

Shout out to Cauldron’s Lincolnshire veggie sozzies as well.

midlifecrashes

https://www.facebook.com/wilkinsonbutchersdoncaster/videos/216656627842483?locale=en_GB

The market isn’t what it used to be, be we still have superb butchers, cheese, fish, pies and sweet stalls in Doncaster. My fave flavs are the Welsh Dragon and Lincolnshire, but they are all superb.

redmex
    Free Member

I must look out for Crombies next time I’m nearby, only thing putting me off is reading about original owner Alex who started the shop when he was 49 then suddenly dropped down brown bread at 55

Hope he never choked

Drac

Find a good butcher that does their own but not in huge amounts. Region has very little to do with it.

One of my local ones now relies on their name, sadly they produce them in large amounts now so not as good as they were.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Jolly Hog!

zippykona

Costco caramelised red onion. I’ve had lots of sausages and these are the business.
    At a farmers market I had a chicken and marmite sausage. It was bloody lovely but sold out once I’d gone back.

Coyote
    Free Member

…or the sweet chili ones.

There is also a butcher in Gt. Eccleston up Fylde way that does a fantastic pork and black pudding. I’m up there this weekend so will be stuffing myself.

lunge

The Leamington Royal from Aubrey Allen butchers. Top class sausy that is.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Any of them wrapped in bacon.

whyterider93
    Free Member

Geordie Bangers do a good range and can be sourced locally from those overpriced farmers markets which take up precious riding time

hot_fiat

Geordie Bangers do a good range and can be sourced locally…

You do realise that you’ve sent me down a google rabbit hole & now I’ll have to go out to Ebchester to the store & pick up a few. Then on the way home I’ll be passing Chopwell so I may as well call in at Riverview Bakery for some incapacitating cakes?

The Italian sausages from Costco are mid blowing.

z1ppy

Local butcher, the Butchery, bloody awesome.

bigginge

These are what I normally buy from our local butchers. The chipolata sized ones are particularly good for sticking in a bun.

Newmarket Sausages (Loose)

chakaping
    Free Member

The Italian sausages from Costco are mid blowing.

Typo or reference to effect on waistline?

tuboflard

Highly recommend Pipers sausages for anyone in Sheffield. Off to a sausage and beer tasting tonight run by them and Thornbridge brewery. Should be good.

slowoldman

My butcher does some great Italian style Pork and Fennel sausages. Also Cumberland, Pork and Leek, Chorizo. Oh and good old pork bangers.

dyna-ti

Personally big fan of lorne sausages. Great either hot or allowed to cool. Great bike snack when cold.

Did you know you can get spicy sausage seasoning ?. I haven’t seen that for a good 20 years so maybe its been stopped and there wasnt enough call for it.

As to links, personally theres few shops today that dont use collagen casings, which are rubbish. The best casings are lamb gut. They use hog for the fat pork sausages, but those are somewhat chewy and personally I just dont like them. You can get thin lamb gut(small intestine) or large(large intestine) which are much better, not ‘chewy’ and unlike the collagen dont dissolve when cooking.

The best mix I’ve seen for pork sausage was a shop I worked in for about 7 years. Charles Fraser up in Mearns shopping center, though now owned by another guy who doesnt have the same philosophy as Charles. Talked to the guy and found him a bit of an 4r5ehole tbh.

But anyway Best recipe was we took an entire gigot of pork, skinned and boned it, trimmed out some tendons and then chopped the entire thing up and fed it through the mincer. Normally sausage is made from offcuts and trimmings, and its unheard of to use an entire gigot as its an expensive thing, but truth be told it made a hell of a nice bit of sausage.

At Charles’s we made about 20 or so different flavours(which are all mixes anyway) pork and mustard, pork and tomato, beef varieties, even chicken sausages.

Made so many daily, we had a young lad who just made sausages all day every day, which is good cos i hate making the f****g things. I think in the couple of decades I worked as a butcher, I’ve made hundreds of tons of them. So Im a really fussy bugger when it comes to them.

You will always get good tasty sausages from a real butchers shop. Forget supermarket types/brands, those things are all about maximizing profit and the same love,care and attention doesn’t go into them.

TiRed

Windsor Farm Shop butchers. Had duck sausage casserole last week. Venison and lamb are also other favourites. And decent small producing butchers for quality. Otherwise it tends to be Linda’s when the vegetarian is home. The Richmond vegetarian sausages are too salty.

nixie

Uptons Butchers in Southampton. Marmite sausage, lovely savoury flavour. The slight caramelisation of the marmite is so good!

freeagent
    Free Member

https://www.sosij.uk/

Thank me later – the Cheddar and Jalapeno are incredible. They’re also huge!

myti
    Free Member

I buy in bulk online from a local butcher and stock the freezer. All free range pork in a variety of flavours. oh and lamb and apricot are the bomb. Garlic wood butchery. For anyone local to East Sussex.

fazzini

Geordie Bangers

And based on the fish quay in North shields! You learn something new every day…dammit…now my trip to the fishmongers will also incorporate a trip to the banger merchant. I need a new credit card 😳

Drac

Then on the way home I’ll be passing Chopwell so I may as well call in at Riverview Bakery for some incapacitating cakes?

If you’re in that area then I’d go to Block and Bottle for your sausages instead, absolutely outstanding butchers. 

doomanic

Aldi Specially Selected are bloody good and obtainable anywhere in the country for a consistent tasty snack.

leffeboy

and i always thought it was spelt ‘lorne sausage’. 

timba
    Free Member

Local farm shop butchers for me

German sausage is wurst

binners

As someone who’s extensively tested all own brand supermarket bangers, these are the best by miles IMHO

But Mozza’s also sell these which are top notch

reeksy

Any sausages from Louth.

scotroutes

The venison lorne only available at the Corrour Station restaurant. It’s a 50km round trip by bike to get it and the estate won’t sell it anywhere else.

For supermarket sausages, the Aldi Pork and Arran Mustard are delectable.

4088600432922_0_L

colournoise

freeagent
    https://www.sosij.uk/
    Thank me later – the Cheddar and Jalapeno are incredible.

+100

Had these slow cooked over wood fires at a place called Ember in Wellingborough. Astonishingly good.

If you’re in the area, the restaurant is another level too.

csb

2nd the Aldi high % meat ones. A good sausage needs no fruit and veg nonsense in it.

tuboflard

Back from the sausage evening. Superb. Highly recommend getting yourself to Nick’s shop in Crosspool for anyone in Sheffield.

IMG_4514

simondbarnes

6 pints and 6 sausages. Sounds like a fine evening.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM