• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Faulty sold goods on STW
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hi Chaps

I sold something on here last month, two weeks later I got an email stating that the item wasn’t working and chap had only just tried it.

I arranged a warranty repair, and it’s been out for repair. The repair is offshore, so taking time to arrive back , and the communication is pretty non existent, but I’ve been chasing up.

As far as I knew the item was perfectly fine when posted out, as I used it the day before posting.

As the chap has been waiting almost 2 months now for the repair, he’s asking for a refund.

I’m not an asshole, but also feel I’ve held up my end of the sale as far as I could, and am doing my best to sort out the warranty. I also have no idea if in that two weeks something happened.

I also don’t want someone to be out of pocket or screwed over. The repair taking well over a month is obviously and rightly so incredibly frustrating.

What would you guys do?

Butts

iolo
    Free Member

Was it working when you sold it?
    If the buyer took so long to use it is it your fault it’s taking so long?
    Is there warranty on second hand goods?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When you sold it did you offer warranty?
    Sounds like you have gone over and above, if you want warranty then buy from a shop and you can get annoyed with them. I’d also get the post taken down as the buyer will probably chip in shortly.

iainc

What did you sell ?

monkeychild
    Free Member

The perks of buying second hand. If he’d tried it straight away, then maybe I’d be accommodating. After 2 weeks god knows what they’ve done with it.

ninfan
    Free Member

You’re being more than reasonable in sorting out the warranty claim for him

stevied
    Free Member

Sounds like the other guy may be taking the P. I’d be trying something straight away if bought 2nd hand. That way you can contact the seller same day if necessary if there is a problem.

robj20
    Free Member

Yeah sounds like he wants new perks with second hand gear. Once an item is received and checked its nothing to do with you, so to have sorted the warranty out is above and beyond.

Drac

I sold something on here last month, two weeks later I got an email stating that the item wasn’t working and chap had only just tried it.

You haven’t sold anything for 7 months?

iainc

agree with all of above sentiments, things are sold as seen/received.

I am a little confused though, hence my query as to what the item was you sold the other month. What would need repaired ‘offshore’ ? . I looked back to see from your history buy until this post you’d been inactive on the forum for 7 months so couldnt see what it was

iainc

great minds, eh Drac 🙂 think we posted same time

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe he replied via email to a wanted ad….

iainc

Maybe he replied via email to a wanted ad….

indeed, I wasnt suspecting foul play, just wondering what he sold that would need sending offshore to be repaired

chambord
    Free Member

I’m going to guess a gloworm light

Northwind

TBH I don’t think either of you are in the wrong. It’s perfectly reasonable that a buyer might not notice a fault immediately, 2 weeks isn’t a long time. Your buyer would have been within his rights to return it to you as soon as he noticed. Offering a repair was also fine though of course he was under no obligation to take that. And now that it’s taking an unreasonable length of time (not your fault) it’s also totally reasonable that he’s fed up, as he’s out of pocket and has no light.

Doesn’t have to be anyone’s fault but if I was you I’d have already refunded

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Was it a buttscratcher?

martinhutch

I must admit, at this point I would refund and re-sell it once it finally gets repaired. As Northwind says, neither of you have behaved unreasonably.

plyphon
    Free Member

Saying they’re up shit creek without a paddle is completely against the spirit of this forum and of this marketplace I think. Everyone complains about EBay stitching buyers/sellers up yet when an opportunity arrises to behave in a better, more amicable way people are immediately saying

“things are sold as seen/received.”

Sounds like the other guy may be taking the P.

Everyone loves a bit of potential victim blaming. Whats to say the seller didn’t accidentally **** this thing up the last day he used it, or it got ruined in transit, because – hey, shit happens.

Essentially some of you are encouraging people to sell potentially faulty goods via the marketplace with this “sold as seen m8” stuff.

IHN

As far as I knew the item was perfectly fine when posted out, as I used it the day before posting.

If this is the honest truth, then you’re going above and beyond, and the other fella has unreasonable expectations.

If I sold something that I knew to be working, I knew I’d packaged it sufficiently so it’d be fine in transit and two weeks later the buyer told me that it wasn’t working, I wouldn’t refund. Caveat Emptor, especially with second hand goods.

In this case i’d probably kep chasing the warranty, say once a week, but there’s no way the buyer would be getting his money back.

Northwind

IHN – Member

If this is the honest truth, then you’re going above and beyond, and the other fella has unreasonable expectations.

Nah, as a seller it’s your responsibility until it gets to the buyer.

IHN

Nah, as a seller it’s your responsibility until it gets to the buyer

Absolutely, which is why I said

If I sold something that I knew to be working, I knew I’d packaged it sufficiently so it’d be fine in transit and two weeks later the buyer told me that it wasn’t working, I wouldn’t refund.

sobriety
    Free Member

Once it’s repaired, does it get returned to the buyer, or to you?

Northwind

IHN – Member

I knew I’d packaged it sufficiently so it’d be fine in transit

No such thing. In the case of visible physical damage, where there’s no damage to the packaging you can say that it couldn’t have happened in the post, but there’s no way to package something that makes it impervious to everything. So in this case here, it worked fine the day before posting, then it spends a few days bouncing around a mail truck, it’s still getting shaken and vibrated regardless of packaging.

It’s fair enough that the OP’s a bit suspicious but there’s no reason to assume the item didn’t arrive faulty.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

There could be plenty of reasons you wouldn’t check something properly for a couple of weeks. You really can’t tell forks are knackered till you put them on your bike & if it’s a complete build then it could be months before you install them. If it is a light then apart from turning it on/off straight out the box you’ve no idea if it’s going to hold charge for hours till our first night ride.

plyphon
    Free Member

If you’re adamant that you packed it correctly then the only course of action is to file a broken item complain with the postage company and claim off the insurance.

You did pay for insurance, right?

You get your money, buyer gets his back. No one gets the fork. Unless the postage company cba to pick it up.

If the buyer wants you to RMA it, that’s fine. But he pays all postage and obviously doesn’t get his money back. And needs to wait the wait.

iainc

I’ll retract my

things are sold as seen/received

as I used it out of context. I have bought and sold loads on here, and I think in 2 cases refunded a purchaser. Once after an item arrived damaged when I knew it left me intact – he sent me pics of it in the damaged packaging, so I refunded and pursued to no avail with R Mail.

Secondly, a jacket that I sold and it never arrived. I had to take the purchasers word and he had a good forum history, so refund was correct.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Just as an update, I’m refunding the chap when he sends what he has back and I’ll deal with it my end.

I’m a nice guy, and don’t want anyone out of pocket. But it’s probably gonna be me instead.

Oh well….

carlphillips
    Free Member

fwiw I think you’ve done the right thing.

Frankers
    Free Member

If it was me i would refund, but I’m a good catholic boy

Drac

Mystery solved on why it was 7 months since your last post. 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Faulty sold goods on STW’ is closed to new replies.