Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fat bike calf rub?
  • zippykona

Is this a problem? No one has mentioned it .
    I had a Superlight on which my calves would hit the swing arm when pedalling . This meant I rode like John Wayne and did myself no end of mischief.
    Surely a big fat wheel means wide seat stays and thus pedalling problems?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Bb is wider isn’t it ? Some suffer a little but I’ve got two fatties and neither one is noticeable.

scotroutes

Hasn’t been a problem for me, though I do pedal like a duck and get terrible chainstay rub even on normal width frames.

The Rose Tusker does look like it might be particularly wide near the calfs though

MrTricky
    Free Member

But it also involves a wider bottom bracket so I notice no difference (Pugsley rider). I’d guess you would be less likely to have a problem either with a 170mm rear (or135) or with an Ice Cream Truck which has an even wider bottom bracket. Best to try some.

zippykona

With Fatbikes getting cheaper and cheaper (Voodoo and Dune) an impulse is getting more likely.
    The calf rub was one thing holding me back.

divenwob
    Free Member

Got a Tusker and dont make contact,I use flats and because it was new tried not to get heel rub and settled in to a comfortable position which just feels right now.Its an each to their own really but no one I ride with has ever mentioned it (4 fat bikers). Give it a go .

monkeyboyjc

I have big calves – always rubbed on my 26 and 29er bikes of the past. Not had any issues with my Fat bike at all…….

scaredypants

100mm bb axle on many of them means calf rub is somewhere near impossible – the width is weird in itself when most of your other riding is on the road, though

hypnotoad
    Free Member

^ I know the existance of a single fat bike without a 100mm BB myself.

No calf rub for me with an OO fatty.

I can’t wear long baggy shorts tho as they sometimes rub on the tyre, but that’s not the end of the world.

dovebiker

My frame has clearance for 5″ tyres, runs a 120mm spindle crank with a 197mm rear and no clearance problems – just like the fatbike q-factor myth, it doesn’t exist in reality.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The odd time I touch right side on my Trek but that has that new wider axles now.

scaredypants

^ I know the existance of a single fat bike without a 100mm BB myself.

Not heard of a Pugsley ?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Not heard of a Pugsley ?

Yep, it was one of the first fat bikes I knew of, I’m pretty sure they used a 100mm BB

scotroutes

Pugsley is a 100mm BB

rOcKeTdOg

zippy, have you flippin bought one yet?

zippykona

Mainly no. I did put a Dune in the checkout to see if that spend 80 code worked. Then I get a text saying it’s ready for collection in an hour. Next my phone rings and the man says I can collect now!
    I will get one but ideally want it to go through the shop.
    As mentioned elsewhere our bank is closing and our nearest one is 2 miles away in a town centre. We need to get change every day so I either go on the bus or our accountant finally agrees that a bike is a justifiable expense.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike calf rub?’ is closed to new replies.