Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Family campers! how are you carrying all your stuff?
  • woody2000

Family of 5 here – Zafira tourer, small trailer with carriers x 3, 2 carriers on the roof and a narrow box.  Car is still quite full but everything’s in the boot area and not all around the car.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Two weeks in Devon last year, with two “pre-teens!!”, going France this year. Canvas 5m bell tent and poles on the Thule easybase, all sleeping mats and pads in the rear boot underfloor hole. Chairs, cooking stuff (Cobb, plates etc), table, basic beach stuff in the boot, all clothes in the “frunk”, then overnight bag in the passenger area. It honestly felt easier than packing the volvo v90 estate we had before! We do pack light and if we need bikes etc you can just rent them.
    ho46Fe.md.jpg

ransos
    Free Member

We don’t skimp on our camping equipment, but it all goes in a c-max, largish roofbox and the bikes on the back. Two kids in the back with the coolbox between them. Our tent isn’t inflatable though so I guess takes up less room.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Buy the biggest trailer your local tip will let you take

usually 6×4 single axle

nothing worse than having a trailer but not being allowed in the tip with it.

Stand it on end against your house to save space

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t get a van. Shit fuel economy the rest of the year when you don’t need the space

Wrong again Molly. I get around 45 out for my LWB 2 litre Diesel on a run. Circa 50 before I put the bigger wheels on…. and thats loaded up with a heavy T1 Bed, Kitchen etc etc.

I wouldnt like to use it as a daily driver but economy isnt the issue.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Family of 5, when the kids were all small(under the age of 8) we could just about manage a long weekend in our Mondeo with a roofbox. Tent, cooking equipment and 5x sleeping bags and roll mats, a couple of changes of clothes seemed to fill all the space, we could forget taking a fridge or any food with us! Only furniture we could manage was a folding table with 4 tiny stools that fit inside.

Once the the kids got older and taller we upsized to an S-Max but gave up on camping because we’d need a van and a trailer. We reckon its cheaper to book a holiday cottage for a couple of weeks a year or budget hotels for a weekend away. Than buy a full size family tent sturdy enough to cope with the wind here in Scotland.

Only one child and a dog (some years ago now) and we would still fill a decent sized estate car to the roof – no bikes or kayaks involved.

It always seemed to rain when it was time to pack the tent away

Life became so much easier when we got a caravan

fazzini

Life became so much easier when we got a caravan

This. And, a lot of the places we were staying at charge almost the same for a tent with electric hookup as a caravan.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get around 45 out for my LWB 2 litre Diesel on a run

45 is shit fuel economy, sorry 🙂

jolmes
    Free Member

Family of 4 here – kids are 2 and 5, plus one old English sheep dog. She goes in the boot, curls up small so we pack around her. Our Vango Icarus 500dlx fits between the kids if I’ve packed it right, sleeping bags round the kids feet and anything else we can squeeze in there. Everything else goes in the boot with the dog or in the 370L top box. Car is an i40 estate so the boot is huge, makes the dog look small.

Last time we went camping there were a couple of people with trailers which had a roof box on top of the trailer, bikes then on top of the car. Seemed a good idea, doubling the storage on the trailer

benp1

Family of 5 with a large dog here. First ever family camping trip at the end of July, only two nights but the amount of stuff is the same for a week

We’ll be in a T6 Kombi and two will be sleeping in the van but there’s still going to be a lot of stuff! This thread isn’t really filling me with confidence

Wasn’t planning to take bikes but the tent/awning, plus chairs, mats, sleeping bags etc is going to fill up a lot of space!

This. And, a lot of the places we were staying at charge almost the same for a tent with electric hookup as a caravan.

Costing me £288 for 26 nights at the site I’m on at the moment – hardstanding and hookup. Granted, no loo or showers, but I have those in the van

TheBrick
    Free Member

^dirt cheap

Well it should be the same as it’s taking the same pitch.

^dirt cheap

CCC Site @ Walton-on-Thames if anyone ever needs to stay inside the ring road of doom/Surrey area

drinfinity
    Free Member

Family of 4 here. We started out with Mazda 5, + roofbox, + towbar bike rack. Now we have a T5 which gets used all the time – just about to head off to a bike race this evening, went climbing with it last weekend, camping at a bike festival next weekend. Perfect vehicle for an active family. Nothing like coming in from a cold trip, putting the heater on for a few minutes and making a brew.

ceept

Another caravan vote here. We can chuck some clothes & food in on a Friday lunchtime, leave straight after school, home, unpacked & washing on in half an hour on a Sunday night with no wet tent etc to sort out. Way better for weekends away.

We are off to France with it for 3 weeks in summer. A campsite with kids club costs the same as kids club here, so we’ll be working from there for a while.

The flexibility & lack of stress means we have far more adventures than we would otherwise.

el_boufador

I’ve never been on a campsite that I like that allows caravans

molgrips
    Free Member

There are plenty of good sites out there, trust me.

Our holiday last year:

Hold my beer…

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/v2248X]imag0225v[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Literally the view from our caravan a few years ago. Three Cliffs Bay, Gower

Where my sister in law is now

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/UD0M53]2022-06-08_10-24-09[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

el_boufador

Usually it’s a bit more

awesome caravan site

😗

And then there’s festivals – did 2 years of our local large festival in a tent where the weather turned apocalyptic on the next to/last day, then a year (2019) in the caravan, where again, it turned apocalyptic. The feeling of satisfaction sat in the warm and dry with a beer, watching bedraggled festival goers trudge past, dragging their sodden kit away because they’d had enough, was matched in equal measures by the looks of pure hatred towards us, sat in the warm and dry with a beer

No long trek from the car park and endless queues getting in, or having to lug stuff back to the car at the end of the weekend is an added bonus, regardless of the weather

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/100yF3]2019-08-14_01-42-42[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

anagallis_arvensis

Our trailer has beds and stuff in it, quite useful really.

surfer
    Free Member

45 is shit fuel economy, sorry

I suspect you are drinking the koolaid 😁

Olly
    Free Member

All this crap is for me and MrsRNP and Bert the doggo for a ‘quick’ weekend away in the lakes.

I’m glad its not just us.

Two kids, no dog, and still manage to basically fill a FullFat transit to the extent that within 10m of the van is a minefield of plastic boxes, cooking stuff and folding chairs.
    We can sleep 4 at a push though, and its only an L2.

Gonna get an event-shelter on order, just to give us some walls to load out stuff against.

molgrips
    Free Member

Usually it’s a bit more

It often is yes. But I don’t stay in those places. Alternatives are available.

Greybeard
    Free Member

When I was young we had a Mirror dinghy, pile all the camping stuff in and put the cover over it. But don’t do what our Scout leader did and put a full size Calor cylinder directly in the bottom of his.

When our lad was young we put light stuff in the kayaks (which was OK for roof load as they were lightweight boats) then we got a box trailer.

fenboy

same dilemna here year before last, already had a passatt tried half roof box, 3 bikes on carriers on roof, dog and camping stuff plus 2 kids in car. couldn’t fit paddleboards was going to go down the trailer route as others but got a deal on a T5 Kombi so now we can take as much as required. inflatable tent + awning, 4 bikes, 2 paddleboards, associated paraphenalia, 2 kids and 2 dogs now! bikes on a 3 bike towbar carrier smallest bike in the back, everything else in the back. It has removed a large amount of stress out of packing and travelling if not a cheap vehicle to own and run. Cant go back now so hope the van lasts!

FB-ATB

We managed a weeks camping with a 6 man tent & gumpf in an Alhambra plus Thule fabric roof box. Also took my sons manual chair and walking frame somehow.

Bit stymied last year when he got an electric chair- that and the ramps fill the boot so we had to get a trailer.

Only drawback is the 300 mile drive from Kent to Cardigan at 60mph

hardtailonly

I get that sentiment. And agree that I wouldn’t want to be parked up where your view is spoiled by a bunch of other white boxes, and you sit out on a small square patch of gravel.

There are, however, stunning campsites that also accommodate caravans. 3 Cliffs Bay, on the Gower, as above. Chlachtoll, up in Assynt, to name 2 places we’ve been.

Anyway. Family of 4 here, with 2 teenage girls and a dog. Skoda Roomster for a few years, latterly with a clapped out trailer I bought locally and built up the sides on.

Last year, swapped that out for a Ford Grand Tourneo Connect. Tons of space. Not ideal as an urban runabout, but the 7 seats are handy for daughters’ friends, our elderley parents etc.

IMG-20210904-085805-953

IMG-20210904-085806-171

garage-dweller

get that sentiment. And agree that I wouldn’t want to be parked up where your view is spoiled by a bunch of other white boxes,

It’s funny isn’t it as I just don’t worry about the view in that way from the site for family/luxury camping. Give me good showers and bogs, neighbors who understand noise etiquette and rapid access to the trails/water and I’m a happy camper. A nice view on the site is just a bonus.

Wild or lightweight camping I kind of get that view/lack of white sheds thing being more important. Those are some stunning sites up there though. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

So I have picked up a mini camping trailer from a neighbour, erde 101 for a relative cheap price. It’s a 110x90x30

Now trying to work out what accessories to buy. Sadly they don’t do a hard top for it, so the plan of a hard top and load bars is out of the window. I need 50cm of depth for the tent.

I’m thinking you can get mesh sides and a cover for it for a sensible price so that gives the depth. Now I am trying to work out how to carry the bikes.

Choice seems to be fine some load bars to fit (google is failing me) or maybe I use my saris bones on the hatch and the trailer on the tow.

We will still have a roof box and space for one bike on the roof.

Is that a stupid idea? Any idea where you can get load bars from that would be extendable enough (erdes won’t work)

TheBrick
    Free Member

erde 101

You may be worth keeping an eye out for a bit bigger trailer. Once like that are so small adding racks and hard tops will be tough as they are only made for minimal loads and would be horribly unbalanced with anything stacked up. Bigger tows better as, I don’t mean massive but just say 1.5 m ideally closer to 1.8m and wider would make all the difference and still able to stand on end out of the way.

Bigger tows better

And easier to reverse

DT78
    Free Member

I’m kind of on a budget so couldn’t be too choosy I knew it was the smallest trailer they do. for the what I paid hopefully I can pass it on for the same after I give it a bit of tlc maybe more.

anyone know of a place that does custom load bars? I’m quite happy to put some holes in it to fit

matt_outandabout

Someone just bought our old roofbars and bike rack to do exactly that. They have literally just drilled trailer and clamped on with U-bolts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

To get more depth My old man just built a square frame out of ply that sat on top of the metal work and made the trailer a foot deeper by 2ft. Which meant the frame tent bags could go in vertically

Wouldn’t be hard to make a hard top for that …..and bolt on bike racks.

Anything you can do to make it taller /visible out your window will make it easier to reverse as by the time you see those erdes in your wing mirrors it’s too late to do anything about it.

Just watch your payload (about 250kg) and also your tires …. They don’t do many miles so tires rot out from UV exposure before they wear out…. Most folk find this out when they explode on a trip……

I learned trailering with one…… It was hell due to the short draw bar and narrow width it would snap left and right so quick. ..now I have an ifor Williams gd84 – it’s about 14ft long and compared to the erde I can put it anywhere I want with precision….even on the back of a 23ft van I can get it in my driveway which is only 2ft wider than the trailer (and off a single-track road)

db

Just cheap square bars and unbolts through the rim of the trailer worked when I did this.

benp1

How’s everyone getting on with fitting summer holidays into vehicles?

We were ok for a camping trip with two adults, three kids and a dog. But we have a van. Didn’t take bikes, would need towbar rack or similar for that. Didn’t take SUP but that would have been fine too

Now on normal holiday in an AirBnB house, no bikes but SUP and beach stuff. Piece of cake in the van thankfully, would have been a struggle in the previous car (e class estate with roofbox), actually maybe not even possible

slowol

2 adults, 2 kids, 4 bikes, tent, stoves , clothes, bedding (inc. duvet & pillows), beach stuff (inc. shorty wersuits), 4 chairs (v. compact lightweight type), picnic table, kitchen unit, cool box, towels etc will fit into or on a Kia Ceed (just).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.