Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Extending fork travel to 140mm on a 120mm frame?
  • renton
    Free Member

Any issues with this?

I have a frame that is designed for a fork with an axle to crown of 528 – 532mm.

On the fitted Pike this means you have to have the travel @ 120mm but Im thinking of extending them out to 140mm using the other airshaft the forks came with.

What are the consequences of doing this, its a second hand bike so I dont think I have any warranty on it. Is the head tube likely to shear off?

Thanks

Steve

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shear off? nonsense.

I used 150mm Revs on my soul for years, And I much prefered it to the commonly held view that 120 is ‘spot on’.

br
    Free Member

I’ve a 29 Camber evo and extended the 120mm Pike it came with to 140mm, only £30 for an airshaft.

Bike rides ace.

CheesybeanZ

Don’t forget to decrease the stem length to compensate for extra travel .

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Recently got some 140mm dual air revs and stuck them on my Pipedream hardtail which recommends up to 130mm max. Feels fine. Was tempted to get some travel reducers but it rides great so not gonna bother.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve put some 150mm pikes on a trek ex8 that is meant to be 120mm, I was intending to change the airshaft and take them down to 140mm but it rides so well I’ve never bothered!

renton
    Free Member

Cheers all.

I wouldn’t of normally asked but in this case the manufacturer seems pretty strict on fork length.

spawnofyorkshire

which frame is it?

renton
    Free Member

Salsa Horsethief 2014

Del

[url=https://flic.kr/p/aaPE8U]IMG_1856[/url] by del_p, on Flickr
    140mm run at 130mm on an 853 inbred.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/a9XYwS]image1[/url] by del_p, on Flickr

YMMV 😆

Tracey

Been running some 140mm Pikes on a Camber Evo with no problems.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Extending fork travel to 140mm on a 120mm frame?’ is closed to new replies.