Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • exsposure joystick mk9 – good or can you get better for country lanes commute?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I can’t find anything else after reading reviews all day for commuting lights that exsposure joystick 10 year old daddy of lights is the best.

Must be internal rechargeable.

iain1775
    Free Member

I have a mark 7 and prefer the Lezyne I got free with an MBUK subscription
    For £26 it’s probably worth seeing if the offer is still on, light was £79 rrp

jacob46
    Free Member

Mark 9 is more powerful than old joystick.

rickon
    Free Member

The mk7 is 400 lumens and very spotty.

The mk9 is 750 lumens and incredibly floody.

Totally different lights, except the casing.

My only concern for commuting is just how floody the mk9 is. Its very bright, and a great little light, with a huge anount of settings you can configure, but it’s totally simple to use.

It’s more like a maxx d in terms of flood.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The beam shape isn’t ideal. Something like a b&m iq cyo is much much better.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve just got in from a nice wet 60 mile ride with my newly purchased B&M Cyo IQ Premium and I’m a total convert, I’ll be getting one for the fixie commuter too after Xmas. It’s def not mega bright, moar adequate but the beam pattern is perfect, just like a car light really and it doesn’t blind other road users. It lights up the road right where you need it. At first I was disappointed as it seemed really quite poor but after an hour or so the LED seemed to come good and brighten up, I wonder if it will get a bit brighter again on its next ride.

jacob46
    Free Member

How much for B&M’s and where from?

jacob46
    Free Member

Dynamo lights? Please fill me on these lights. Have I read right?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ya dynamo, I’ve got an Exposure front hub which is a rebranded Shutter Precision PD-8 with a B&M Cyo IQ Premium T front light and Schmidt rear seat post light.

There’s a shit ton to choose from depending on budget but I wouldn’t go for less brightness than the Cyo IQ, as I said it’s not mega bright.

The Cyo IQ has daylight running lights and a stand light, it senses ambient light and either switches between full power on the main LED or 4 little ones underneath which are better for just being seen. When you come to a half it switches off the main LED and leaves 2 of the small LEDs on so you still have a front light. Rear light has a stand light too. Rear light was pricey ‘cos I’m a tart but they’re normally really cheap but keep in mind they’re pretty much all designed to comply with German traffic regulations and thus they’re all just on – no flashing. Zee Germans are very serious about regulation 😛

German shops are the cheapest, got mine from Bike24.

Look here for moar words and pics,

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp

STATO
    Free Member

If you’ve got a dedicated commuter (Or winter road bike) then Dynamo is the way forward. The Cyo premium is superb, the beam spread is perfect for road use and your visibility to cars etc is arguably better than stupid bright off-road lights (ie they can see you, your light looks almost like a motorbike light, rather than just blinding them so they have no idea where you actually are). The premium is new and gives you enough light to go as fast as you’d like, where previous versions didn’t really give enough reach to go more than 25-30 in total safety.

Cost wise they are ‘cheap’ now too, £50 for the light, hubs can be had for under £50 too, just wheel build cost to add.

Bez
    iain1775
    Free Member

I know the 9 is more powerful than the 7
    And. I would have thought it overkill for country lane commuting
    That’s where I prefer my Lezyne

BadlyWiredDog

If you want something like a Joystick but with a road-friendly beam pattern, check out the international version of the Supernova Airstream. They have a cut-off type beam that avoids dazzling oncoming traffic and are an all-in-on Joystick-type design. Not super bright, but the light is on the road where you need it.

They’re not cheap at SRP but I’ve seen them new on eBay for around 90 quid. Also the Philips Saferide 80 which is a bulky sort of thing, but has a cracking beam pattern. Rosebikes were selling them for 35 quid a few weeks back, which was a bargain. Can be tweaked to run off an external battery and throw out slightly more light.

One of the things I like about the Airstream is that you can stick it on your mountain bike alongside your full-on floody off-road light and use it road sections between trails if your route includes a bit of tarmac. I’ve got a Mk7 (I think) Joystick as well, but for road use I’d choose the Airstream.

jacob46
    Free Member

And there’s me toying with the idea of esposure axis or joystick!!
    If you all think they are overkill I will look at others.

Don’t know what the niterider 750 is like but can get it for £68 and reading the reviews seems a bargain. Mite get 2 just in case one fails.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘exsposure joystick mk9 – good or can you get better for country lanes commute?’ is closed to new replies.