• This topic has 60 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Explain Chris De Burgh, please.
  • SaxonRider

Other than ‘Lady in Red’, he never really had a ‘hit’, yet his music could be found in many a parents’ record collection in the early 1980s. Consequently, I can remember a lot of his stuff, and it always seemed a strange genre.

What sort of music was it, exactly? Not really pop, not rock, not easy listening…

Not that I spend much time thinking about it, but he just came up on YouTube, and I realised he and his music remains a mystery to me. Did anyone on here like any of his stuff?

jekkyl

whatever you do…… don’t pay the ferryman

bikebouy
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Didn’t mind what I heard but haven’t heard of/about him for years.

+ what Jekkyl said!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He was at school with Nick Drake. Maybe that explains it.

jekkyl

seriously, don’t even fix a price.

maccruiskeen

Didn’t he once tour with a Chris De Burgh tribute act as his support?

mtbfix

Not until he gets you to the other side, obvs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who was that then ?…

Chas de Blurgh ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Soft rock/pop

And (unlike soft pillows, soft rain or even Soft Machine) – not ‘soft’ in a good way.

‘Lady In Red’ is a special ‘awkward-grade’ wedding disco formula for people who are averse to dancing or inept at romance. Possibly both. But you can ‘rock’ to it. ie rock from side to side holding someone by both shoulders whilst gazing over one of them at other people doing the same horrific slow-mo rictus zombie-shuffle. I saw it happen! 1980s arggggh!

kimbers

Hes kinda like our version of Celiene Dion

I believe you are a canadian so that should help 😆

spekkie
    Free Member

Are you guys all too young to know the “Spanish Train” album?

Lady in Red = nonsense.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, I believe we is twu ung innit 😆

imnotverygood

Are you guys all too young to know the “Spanish Train” album?

Is that the Spanish train that runs between
    Guadalquivir and old Seville? Or is it another one?

Sandwich

The early story-telling songs are reasonably good, then he got delusions and it went very bad. Shagging the nanny was the the nadir of rock twittery.

spekkie
    Free Member

That’s the one.

the album also has “A Spaceman Came Travelling” great Christmas song 😉

CountZero

Saw him live, many years ago before he became much better known, and he was OK, just a bit bland.
    He was second support, after Gallagher and Lyle, and before Joan Armatrading.
    The reason people like him is because he’s safe and non-threatening, and for a great many people, that’s what they want.
    I like a great deal of folk music, which probably isn’t dissimilar, but I’m perfectly at home with Pixies, My Bloody Valentine and Faith No More, hardly the same target audience! 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rooight, alwrooogjt..

I’ll shuffle off to iTunes, but I’m warning you.. if it’s shit, I’m coming knocking.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Wasn’t he “Driving home for Christmas”?
    Didn’t hear it once this year, which saved a small fortune in broken radios.

martinhutch

That was Chris Rea.

<sighs>

bruneep

I’m sure he’s nae giving a chuff about this thread seeing as he’s worth about $45 million

redmex
    Free Member

Chris de burger is bowfin but Gallagher and Sandy Lyle now they were good, wore their heart on their sleeve

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Always remember it being on the radio when i was younger as i grew up in the 80’s & Lady in red was playing on the stereo in the hospital during my daughters birth, I can remember looking around to see if I could ask anyone to put something better on but they all looked a bit busy.

Looking back it was quite funny that song happened to be playing whilst my girlfriend was on the operating table covered in blood whilst having a cesarean 😆

backinireland
    Free Member

Nice daughter

CountZero

Chris de burger is bowfin but Gallagher and Sandy Lyle now they were good, wore their heart on their sleeve

ali69er
    Free Member

Spanish train is classic. I once saw him in concert with my mum. Very good singer live.

Now to run and hide in shame…

ali69er
    Free Member

Spanish train is classic. I once saw him in concert with my mum. Very good singer live.

Now to run and hide in shame…

MoreCashThanDash

Patricia the Stripper was his highlight

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQhnXcmPXV0[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Castle dwelling nanny shagger.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I went to school with his nephews or cousins or something.

DezB
    Free Member

The 80s was bloody weird. Stuff people bought back then – I caught one of the old TOTPs on beeb4 the other day, there was Shakey’s watered down Elvis impersonation drivel, soft disco recorded with a pillow over it’s head (Imagination), and some weird bunch playing pan pipes PAN PIPES! Bizarre time. There was also decent stuff, mostly not on TOTP as it didn’t bother the charts.
    Most people just bought what was fed to them by the crappy radio stations of the time. A bit like listening to whatever Spotify bungs on the login page (whoever has paid them the most) these days.

taxi25
    Free Member

Patricia the Stripper was his highlight

Mrs Taxi is a Patricia, the song’s also on the jukebox at our local 😆
    She’s not a fan !

jon1973
    Free Member

…don’t even fix a price.

I never understood that bit, surely it’s better to agree the price upfront to avoid getting stiffed later. Once he’s got you to the other side, he can name his price and there is nothing you can do about.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

but does she?

martinhutch

The 80s was bloody weird. Stuff people bought back then – I caught one of the old TOTPs on beeb4 the other day, there was Shakey’s watered down Elvis impersonation drivel, soft disco recorded with a pillow over it’s head (Imagination), and some weird bunch playing pan pipes PAN PIPES! Bizarre time. There was also decent stuff, mostly not on TOTP as it didn’t bother the charts.

I watched that with my 13-year-old son, marvelling at the perms and awkward dancing. I don’t think he truly understood the suffering of my generation until then. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

jon1973 –
    …don’t even fix a price.
    I never understood that bit

Biggest problem is – “price” doesn’t even bloody rhyme with “side” !

prawny

My dad used to listen to a lot of Chris de Burgh when I was growing up which meant I did too.

I used to sit and watch the live videos with him and from what I remember there were a fair few decent tunes on there.

It’s fairly standard though isnt it that the song that most artists are well known for is gash.

DezB
    Free Member

What a cruel and thoughtless upbringing 😆

alcolepone
    Free Member

45 million, never would have guessed :D…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Explain Chris De Burgh, please.’ is closed to new replies.