• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rs.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • excessive clicking….
  • alpin
    Free Member

do BB's 'click' when on their last legs?

for a while now there has been a distinctive 'click' sound when i pedal hard. at first i thought it was the HT2 BB and have bought a new one, but thought i'd wait till summer to fit it.

now today, riding along the clicking got worse. not sure if it's the pedals (Wellgo Mag 1), the BB or the cranks themselves.

should pedals be in need for a service after ~ one year? how easy are they to service?

will fit the new BB tonight and give it a whirl to see if the clicking has stopped.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

it could be many things, its just one of them fit it and try it cases.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I always find its often the chain on its way out to being stretched – my road bike and FS was doing it badly the other day as I forgot to chain check and both were over .75 stretch oops – anyway all fine now 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

nah, not the chain. it's a long way off from .75; i checked it the other day.

hopefully it's just the BB…..

rs
    Free Member

mine does this but i'm pretty sure its the pedals, about 4 year old V12's that have never had a service.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Might be daft but … have you got those orange reflector things in the pedals – they can come loose and make a clicking sound? Yep, had that happen on mine, use flats on my commute bike and had a clicking noise when grinding up the hills on my route, didn't notice it going fast cos of road/wind noise.

alpin
    Free Member

no, no reflectors…..

angryratio
    Free Member

ride it till it fails.
    chances are it'll be a long time before it actually dies.

alpin
    Free Member

no, because it gets right on my tits….

so, i've established it is the pedal. the right one to be exact.

i put another set of cranks into the BB and it was fine. re-insert old cranks with one old pedal and one new, still fine. changed the pedals round and the clicking came back….

so, how do i service the wellgo mag 1's?

trail_rat
    Free Member

drill a hole in the end cap and squeeze in grease

silicone over the hole

alpin
    Free Member

it's all doned.

old BB back in as it obviously wasn't the cause (take back what i've said about HT2 – it's still going strong after 14 months).

pedals greased up to the eye-balls; and they're clean!

rootes1

do you ring with clip in pedals? if so could be the cleat/pedal interface

oops just read opening post properley and seems you have flats

foxyrider
    Free Member

I also have traced it to the rear QR before? Movement in dropouts otrmaybe hanger interface?

rs
    Free Member

you motivated me to do the same last night, my v12's are also click free now, hopefully for another 4 years!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘excessive clicking….’ is closed to new replies.