• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Exception/’race only’ Maxxis tyres- best to ‘avoid’ for everyday trail use?
  • hora
    Free Member

Bought a TP120 exception series Larsen from local Evans. Looked up what Exception series meant afterwards and it says ‘race use only’. Does this mean that it has really really weak sidewalls?

specialone
    Free Member

I’ve had an exception ignitor on my bike for about 6 months & never had a problem(running it tubeless as well), seems just as strong as the normal ignitor i have on the back

johnners
    Free Member

I haven’t noticed. I’ve had an Advantage on the back of a hardtail without any problems.

hora
    Free Member

Probably a daft question- both singleply and specialone is yours a UST specific tyre though?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You don’t ride enough for it to be a problem hora 😉

hora
    Free Member

I am a quasi-walker. You know, I could probably make the transition, lose the heavy bike and the spd’s and be a World Champion Rambler 😆

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have exeption Cross marks and they seem pretty tough.

iDrew
    Free Member

I have exception series on my bike – Advantage front, Crossmark rear.

I rode The Beast at Coed y Brenin this weekend and ripped the sidewall on the crossmark – but then I am a fat bloke.

They have been fine up until for general use though

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve not had issues with exception crossmarks, I suspect I’ll be a tad harder on tyres than you ;o)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Exception high roller fine here… I wouldn’t take it down anything silly but that’s more how skinny it is

hora
    Free Member

solamanda mey!

nickc

They are fine, but don’t last long. My exception High roller lasted about 4-5 months, then it was done.

hora
    Free Member

nickc, sidewalls started degrading?

dobo
    Free Member

i got some exception monorails 2.1 that i run tubeless and raced on sunday. I was expecting them to leak through the sidewalls like my ralphs or mudx when i set them up but no, they 100% had no leak or sealant on the tyre or wall, only on the bead where it joins the xc717 rim as you would expect.
    They are rather rubbery grippy fast tyre, good in corners, not quiet as fast as ralphs but more grippy and tougher as they are slightly heavier at 511g. Lets hope they wear better than ralphs…

i would defintley not have a problem using these as all round tyres.

i probably wouldnt with some race king supersonics or rocket rons though

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got some Advantage exception which I’ve converted to tubeless. In hindsight, I think they’re a bit flimsy for that but I’d have no qualms about running them with a tube.

nickegg
    Free Member

Running a Crossmark eXCeption as “ghetto” on my 5. No problems so far. Sidewalls are thinner than the Minion on the front though.

Sealing the sidewalls took awhile longer than the Minion but has been fine since.

My usual riding spots aren’t especially rocky so i guess toughness depends on where you ride.

kennyNI
    Free Member

I have Advantage Exception 2.1s. Running them tubless on Stans 355 rims, for 4-5 months.

The rear one is now trashed, sidewalls just leaking too much now, needed topped up after every couple of rides. The sidewalls were looking considerably bare, visible threads. Now got a LUST Monorail on the rear, which I found to be suprisingly grippy, given the shallow tread.

But the front one is still fine, with the sidewalls looking in good condition. I got each tyre form different shops, so maybe different batches, or maybe I ride some way that scrapes the sidewalls on the rear?

Apart form that, a good tyre, but as mentioned above, and in my experience, not ideal for running tubeless, just a bit too flimsy.

hora
    Free Member

Will be fine. Thing is, they are absolutely TINY compared to the Conti Mountain Kings chubby carcass!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Exception/’race only’ Maxxis tyres- best to ‘avoid’ for everyday trail use?’ is closed to new replies.