Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Evil Sovereign in Titanium?
  • heihei

A few of us have been raving about how well the Sovereign rides, being a complete hooligan and all that. The only criticism that can be levelled at the frame is it is a bit heavy. It got me wondering if it could be improved at all by building one out of titanium. There are a few frame builders around who will make a custom-built frame in titanium (although at a cost). Anyone any thoughts??

psychle
    Free Member

sir might be interested in one of these perhaps?

Brodie Holeshot in Titanium…

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

'sure.

XACD in china will make whatever you want to your exact measurements…

Finish can be a bit agricultural but hey, they are usually very cheap for Ti, nevermind custom

see > http://www.spanner.org.uk/?p=412

I don't see why any top-Titanium welders wouldnt do you a full custom frame if you gave 'em enough money ($3-4k?)

However, I dont know the legalities(?) of ripping off another company's design

nickc

However, I dont know the legalities(?) of ripping off another company's design

A while ago badly wired dog had a frame made from Titanium that was an exact replica of one of Marin's Hardtail frames. IIRC he sent them his frame, and they copied it. For one offs I think it's OK (legally) I think you might get into trouble if you wanted to sell them commercially

ashfanman
    Free Member

Evil were supposed to be releasing an aluminium long travel hardtail – the 'Order', I think – but they seem to have gone really quiet recently. It's the same story with their 140mm trail bike, the Sect. I seem to remember reading that it was originally supposed to be released last summer, but still no sign 12 months later…

You're right though – a Ti Sovereign would be pretty much the perfect HT, ignoring what would no doubt be an eye-watering price tag.

heihei

Hmmm – that holeshot looks nice!

Lynskey seem happy to make one, and would include ISCG mounts and sliding dropouts if required. They'd relieve you of $3600 for the privilege mind! Now where did I put that lottery ticket?

GW
    Free Member

if you are looking for something (cheaper and lighter) that handles just as well, plenty aluminium jump bikes already have very similar geometry to the sovereign. personally, I think the BB is slightly too high on Evils, other than that I quite like them

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you want an absolute hooligan of a hardtail that can survive hard riding and still way little more than an XC race frame, the Ragley Ti does exactly this and may improve on a few areas over the Evil; it has a lower BB for instance. It's also a lot less than the custom route, retailing for £1299.

I tested one a few weeks back and was blown away by how good it is. A big part of that was down to the material and construction; I felt the medium was a little tall in the seat tube, but the small would still fit in the length but have a much lower ST.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I expect to know the full details about the brodie Holeshot by the end of the week. Price should be around £1k, its just a case of how many frames i can get hold of.

nickc

Alternatively, The Chameleon weighs half what the Sov. does, and isn't far off it in terms of geometry etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i posted up a pic and thread about that holeshot a while back and there was not a single reply. 😆

now it's topical again, though – how **** nice! i would very much like one.

heihei

GW – owned a Cove Stiffee for a while and liked it, and also a Ti 456, but the Evil puts a much bigger smile on my face. It's difficult to work out why on paper, but to ride it is just awesome. I admit the custom route is a daft amount of money when there are plenty of awesome frames out there for less than half the price, but it doesn't stop me wondering!

Greg – we'll have to discuss the Ragley in more detail when we meet up. I tested Nirvana's mmmmBop when they first built it up, with a view to swapping the Ti version for my 456, but really didn't get on with it – it just felt "odd".

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think that the Ragley Ti really demonstrated to me that there is a lot more to how a frame rides than just geometry. Material and fabrication is as important to how a bike ends up 'feeling'.

Just to clarify, I wasn't 100% comfortable on the medium Ragley; even with the saddle dropped to the rails in the ST I felt that I wanted it still lower. I reckon the small would be about perfect as it's still relatively long in the TT. But other than that, what it did was incredible. It had the stiffness and instant 'power on' response of a super stiff aluminium hardtail (I tested the Nicolai Argon the weekend before) but with the compliance and zing of a light steel frame. It really was a case of having your cake and eating it.

We can talk more next week (if of course your comfortable riding with me these days given the 'Dave' thread that seems to be getting utterly out of hand!)

heihei

Ha ha – just read the 'Dave' post – absolutely hilarious!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Alternatively, The Chameleon weighs half what the Sov. does, and isn't far off it in terms of geometry etc.

Thank you for reminding me. I've got a chameleon, but I keep drooling over the sovereign. I don't know why.

heihei

Greg – you're welcome to try the Evil (and Ti456) if you are looking at hardtails for your next purchase.

nickc

Realman, me too the Sov us about the only bike I think I'd be willing to get rid of my Cham for.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Jesus the Ti holeshot is gorgeous.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Evil Sovereign in Titanium?’ is closed to new replies.