Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Everyone been out to vote then?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can anyone explain to me the advantages for those on the left (such as myself)?

I can’t do that easily, this might
    http://www.workersliberty.org/story/2011/04/20/democracy-yes-av-no

Rich
    Free Member

Ok, thanks, that’s good then.

I have had 2 different leaflets through the door advocating saying No to AV, with pretty poor reasons why, but nothing showing support.

thebunk

I’d decided to vote ‘no’, but am now confused as I note that most left of centre parties support it. I thought that it would give people like UKIP more chance of getting some representation (heaven forbid).

Doh! The Yes campaign really didn’t do a good job of explaining it did they!

ahwiles

AV would reduce the political power of the right – cos the winner would be the candidate with the broadest appeal – ie, leftish.

AV would be a disaster for the conservatives, and see loads of labour / liberal coalitons.

Give that person a job…

Am so annoyed that it looks like “No” will win…

kimbers

if this vote had been held right after the expenses scandal turnout wouldve been high and im certain it would have been an overwhelming yes

as its been a year or so all those high-minded ideals about reform and ‘fixing’ the system seem to have been forgotten

infact the house of lords has got bigger, fptp looks to be here for ever, and rupert murdoch still has our government by the balls

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

most people in this country vote for something/someone left of centre – but the vote gets split between labour/liberal.

the minority of people who vote ‘right of centre’ – have only one mainstream choice; conservative.

I would agree with that in general, but almost in opposite terms, replace left with right and conservative with labour.

(Not trolling)

Mike_D
    Free Member

I would agree with that in general, but almost in opposite terms, replace left with right and conservative with labour.

2010 share of vote:

Conservative 36.48%
    Labour 28.99%
    Lib Dem 23.03%

You may, as they say, do the math 😉

rig
    Free Member

Thank you for the explanations folks.

The ‘yes’ campaign didn’t actually do a good job on me – I’ve been abroad & have entirely missed both campaigns.

I used to think that the Liberals were on the left – I’m not so sure anymore 🙁

Anyway, time to go & vote, & then to get the bike out 😀 , looks as if it might rain … 😥

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

2010 share of vote:

Conservative 36.48%
    Labour 28.99%
    Lib Dem 23.03%

You may, as they say, do the math

I’m not sure who this is meant to support, me or awhiles and thebunk

WackoAK
    Free Member

Just placed my three votes (MSP, regional & AV)

Voted yes to the AV as I find the current system an abhorrent joke where on most occasions my vote is worthless.

I reckon TJ voted SNP, Green & Yes.

Also agree with TJ that in Scotland the AV vote will be yes as we are used to that system now.

ahwiles
    Free Member

from those numbers, 52% voting for something ‘leftish’.

the tories managed 36.5% of the vote, surely in some part on the back of an ‘i hate Gordon’ sentiment.

grum
    Free Member

I would agree that the Yes campaign has been poor, though not as bad as the sickeningly cynical, deceptive and manipulative No campaign. The No campaign has been much better funded though, unsurprisingly.

Here’s a reasonable attempt at explaining why – http://imgur.com/a/hgmbQ

Turnout has been pitiful in my area apparently.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the yes campaign has categorically failed to explain how the system works (as have any media outlets i have seen) this has left a situation where the yes campaign looks like it is pandering to the populist vote (make them work harder etc) but ignoring the technicalities

and the no campagn has fought to make AV look complicated. I have yet to have an actual discussion with anyone who understands the process of AV (and i don’t believe it is that complicated)

I voted yes, but predict a no.

_tom_
    Free Member

Voted yes as the no campaign is so patronising and just rubbish from what I can tell..

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I’m not sure who this is meant to support, me or awhiles and thebunk

If it helps Charlie, I often vote Lib Dem (being leftish) but would have to be dragged screaming to ever vote Conservative – hence, I reflect awhile’s analysis.

OTOH if we had AV and a Green candidate (or even an independent with the right sort of local policies) then I’d vote for them with my first preference, whereas now I woudl have to vote LibDem in my constituency just to try to keep the Tories out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

now I woudl have to vote LibDem in my constituency just to try to keep the Tories out.

looks at current government and questions wisdom of your strategy.
    Do you own a hair shirt as I think you owe us all a penance

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Here’s my constituency who shoudl I have voted for then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

tbh I said it more in a jokey fashion than to actually debate tactical votin. Yes you picked correctly to stop a Tory but that was not fully succesful because nick clegg is a spinless buffon took a brave and principled decison to abandon all his principles do what was right forhim the country.
    you know that sort of thing
    It was not a dig

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Hobson’s choice.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Just on a point of order – don’t forget that due to tactical voting, a significant number of Conservative supporters voted Lib-Dem to keep Labour out, since in their local area it was a two horse race – so its inaccurate to presume that a vote for Lib-Dem was automatically a “leftish” vote. Study I’ve read reckons that if AV was in place during the last election, 35% lib dem voters would favour Labour in their second choice, and about 28% would favour Conservative – the rest minority or no preference.

ditch_jockey

Another SNP, SNP, YES vote here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    allthepies
    Free Member

Hurrah! #VoteNo

molgrips
    Free Member

I just can’t understand why people would vote no. It’s a no brainer for me.

AD

molgrips – 69% of those who voted thought it was a ‘no-brainer’ for them too…

molgrips
    Free Member

Idiots!

AD

Or perhaps democracy in action?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Of course I voted. But who gives a shit what I think though when everyone is happy! I think voting should be compulsory, with an extra box to Abstain.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I dont get it. Why wouldnt people vote for voting reform? Unless people are going down the lines of we dont want AV but want PR instead.

mt
    Free Member

Well done SNP to get what they have worked hard for. A majority in a system designed by Labour so that a majority of any party could not happen. Brilliant on the no to AV.

kimbers

in a country where the most popular tv programme is x-factor and the sun the most popular newspaper ‘no brainers’ best describes the population

bassspine
    Free Member

just because the most people vote for it, it doesn’t mean it’s the right choice. it’s just the one most people voted for (in a two choice poll, obviously).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, anyone who disagrees with your opinion is automatically an idiot are they?

Lord Winston. Labour Peer and well known idiot.
    For example.

allthepies
    Free Member

CFH + 1

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I just can’t understand why people would vote no. It’s a no brainer for me.

Perhaps you should spend a bit more time exploring the range of views surrounding the situation.

AD

Brilliant quote on BBC website – ‘Elections expert Prof John Curtice says the No campaign has apparently won the referendum by securing the support of older people, Conservatives and those who have not enjoyed a university education’.

Wrong on all three counts in my case…

AdamW
    Free Member

Mate of mine at work voted ‘no’. Interested I asked him why. He actually said that he thought that AV was the better system but, as he put it ‘the British public are really stupid so keep it simple’. Mind you I don’t think he considers politics much because he didn’t know who to vote for so voted for one Tory, one Labour and one Independent!

Oh well.

Blackhound

Well at least with the ‘No’ vote no babies are going to die!

aracer
    Free Member

Idiots!

Or perhaps democracy in action?

Not necessarily mutually exclusive concepts

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Idiots in action
    Idiots inaction

kimbers

Lord Winston. Labour Peer and well known idiot.
    For example.

you mean Baron Winston chum of tony blair with a vested interest in not reforming the electoral system, well the house of lords at least

fwiw i respect him immensely, ive met him and know 2 people who studied under him for their phds

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Everyone been out to vote then?’ is closed to new replies.