Home Forums Chat Forum ESTA application after getting married just before honeymoon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • ESTA application after getting married just before honeymoon
  • yoshimi

Hi all,

Think we may have messed up.  Getting married on a Friday in September and going to the US on honeymoon on the Sunday.

The (new) wife’s passport has nearly run out so she’s planning on applying for a new one which you can and get post dated in her new married name…no problem there.

However, getting all excited early this year we hadn’t really thought about the ESTA.  You’re supposed to apply at least 72 hours before travelling (even though in the past I remember the decision being instant).

Best we can do is apply at midnight before the wedding which will give us 48 hours before we travel.

Anyone had to do something similar? Experiences?

Edit – we’ve booked the flights in her new married name, hence the issue

gobuchul
    Free Member

A couple of years ago, I forgot all about mine and it had expired. I renewed it at the check in desk of an airport on my phone.

jimdubleyou

You definitely need to update the ESTA –

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#uta2

Good news is both times I’ve done an ESTA application it’s said “we can’t give you an instant decision” but come back within a couple of hours.

I would make sure you apply as soon as you can, within US working hours if possible, and cross your fingers!

Also –

If she has the new passport (in new name) in hand, why can’t she apply for the ESTA now?

Take your marriage certificate with you – honeymooners often get benefits from airlines :)

hot_fiat

It’s likely to work. Just quadruple check the form as mistakes result in automatic denial which can only be sorted by a human at the end of a telephone. Seemingly there is just 1 human, the telephone number is wrong and they’re permanently at lunch, as I found out having incorrectly declared that my 2yr-old son had attempted to gain employment illegally in the US.

yoshimi

If she has the new passport (in new name) in hand, why can’t she apply for the ESTA now?

Even though she’ll have the new passport in plenty of time, the valid date won’t be until the day of the wedding – can’t apply for the ESTA without the passport being valid :(

Ok, this doesn’t sound too bad – just glad the first couple of replies weren’t horror stories!

We’ll actually have 61 hours between when we can apply and the flight time so hopefully should be ok

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s typically instant if the system doesn’t tag you for further checks. If there are checks then that’s why the 72 hours as humans may be involved.

Last time, friends got instant yes, mine took couple of days. Difference being I didn’t answer the social media questions. My tweets about idiot Trump may have also been something to do with it :D

The (new) wife’s passport has nearly run out so she’s planning on applying for a new one

She’ll be going to passport office then I take it and is “nearly”, less than 6 month?

Anyway, I’m betting the married name change and post-dated passport will hold up online ESTA application. I’d talk to a human to be sure.

yoshimi

She’ll be going to passport office then I take it and is “nearly”, less than 6 month?

Anyway, I’m betting the married name change and post-dated passport will hold up online ESTA application. I’d talk to a human to be sure.

Right – I’ll check with her exactly tonight – we have got 3 months before all this happens so I’ll have a word with the passport office before we do anything – everything is telling me ‘it’ll be reet’ but half tempted to change the name on the flights – effing up the honeymoon probably wouldn’t be a great start to married life

oldnpastit

I applied for my last Esta at Heathrow airport about 2 hours before departure. It was fine if a bit stressful.

I didn’t give them my social media info, not sure they would know what to do with an STW account anyway.

martymac

Can’t she just change her name now and apply for a new passport?

i had to change my name when I got my first passport, as my legal name is my birth name but absolutely every document calls me by my stepdads surname.

But it was easy to do, i just had to write a covering letter and have it signed by a local councillor. (This is Scotland, could be different in England)

Edit: dont they ask if you have a current esta? I’m pretty sure if you already have one it’s an instant decision, same as the passport.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I didn’t give them my social media info, not sure they would know what to do with an STW account anyway.

Same here on principle really, though my application was delayed and took most of the 72hrs, though I put that down to submitting on the 4th July weekend.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah, I missed the “in September”. I thought you’d be in a rush to get it sorted this weekend! 😁

Passport should be no worry then. I’d just call ESTA people saying what you plan and they should advise.

I’m pretty sure if you already have one it’s an instant decision, same as the passport.

Renewing mine it was delayed couple days despite existing one.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

It is one of those things that is almost always OK, but sometimes (rarely) isn’t.

Usually, it is instant or same day. If it takes the full 72 hours then you will be going on your own.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ESTA application after getting married just before honeymoon’ is closed to new replies.