Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ergon grips- Has anyone tried them and not got on with them?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Is there anyone who has tried these and not gotten on with them?

I am tempted. I can see more potential positives than negatives but can’t bring myself to click the buy button

clicky

Any experiences or words of warning. Thinking for summer XC rides nothing hardcore.

BigDummy
    Free Member

On balance, after a fair bit of use, I’m indifferent to them. I’d rather use a Mary/Carnegie/whatever and proper grips.

tinribz
    Free Member

Bought those, liked’em, sold’em.

But only because the bar ends are a waste of space (and look funny on the bike), their uncomfortableness’ness is all the more ironic by how great the rubber bits are.

Now use some cheaper imitations, still good but not as. Am tryin these out soon:

martymac

i think a decent pair of regular grips and good gloves are probably a more comfy combo, but if it works for you then go for it.
    could br useful on really long rides.

Wookster

I got a pair and really didn’t like them at all. Strange as I have bar ends on my out and out xc bike. Don’t know if I sholud have got a bigger size but took them off after two or three rides.

Spamf
    Free Member

I love mine. Been using them for 3 years now. Everything else seems ‘unsupportive’ now.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Funny tinribz – but I use the bar end ones all the time and find them way better than the cheaper ones (SJS iirc?). Anyways – we’re all diffenent – keeps thing intersting eh!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

on the flat bar commuter – love em

on the mtb – need a round grip for.. er.. grip

might be okay for sedate stuff but for chucking the bike about, I need a round grip

cinnamon_girl

I have Ergons without the bar ends but thought those would be good on the ss. Unfortunately the bar end could only accommodate two of my chubby fingers so didn’t really serve its purpose.

Nevertheless eventually Ergon released the ones with the h u g e bar ends so those are now on the ss. They do look rather dangerous!

I could never go back to ‘normal’ grips but do have a weak wrist from breaking it years ago.

The important thing is to set the angle correctly and this may take a few rides until it feels comfortable.

BadlyWiredDog

I used them on a flat-barred road bike after breaking a finger and bruising a lot of the rest of my hand. They worked generally pretty well, but the one thing that I found hard to cope with was that if I was climbing out of the saddle, the angle of the grip was then wrong and uncomfortable – probably more of a problem because I was riding with them mostly on the road, in a hilly area with 1×9 gearing, but it was definitely an issue for me. I suspect it depends a bit on your riding style.

pascoa341
    Free Member

Have them (GC2) and love them. Particularly on longer tours they give just some more options with different hand positions than others. Other grips just seem small and even give me the cramps. Mind you, I have used similar grips like these on most of my bikes since being a child.

fasthaggis

Put a pair on for some big events last year and really like them .
    They look strange ,but I am old skool,and have a fondness for bar ends,crud catchers and the like ,without giving a toss what they look like. 😆

ampthill

i didn’t get on with them. They seemed to stop working when i stood up. The little horns seemed of no use. Not a bad product just not for me. Mary bars i love

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I tried the specialized ones without barends and didn’t like them at all. They actually hurt my hands after about 30min riding. tried them at all different angles too. Same with mary bars, just didn’t get on well with them.
    Just put a pair of superstars new excel grips on the mtb…very comfy so far

ampthill

i didn’t get on with them. They seemed to pump working when i stone up. The little horns seemed of on use. Not a bad product just not for me. Mary bars i love

thomthumb
    Free Member

i found that they fitted sat down but not stood up – or vice versa. not a fan.

sold mine to big dummy^. now he doesn’t even like them 🙄

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive got some lookalikes from Edinburgh Bike Coop with bar ends in and they are great for the ss when you want to have a wrestle up a hill

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Seems a bit marmite. Might have a look on the classifieds instead of spending £40 on potential lemons.

Cheers for all your thoughts.

BigJohn

I love mine. They stopped my white finger sensation (bruised ulnar nerve?) that I used to get from singlespeeding.
    Important to get the angle right so they are great for climbing (use them as a platform) but don’t get in the way when you’re pushing the wrists down and away when going over a little jump.

After about 3 months you will get so blasé about using them, your grip will become slack and your hand will just slip off at a point you would rather it hadn’t. This only happens once. (No not because you’re in a wheelchair).

BigDummy
    Free Member

sold mine to big dummy^. now he doesn’t even like them

Maybe they’re just a bad set… 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I use these ones:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22717

Much lighter and have a better, slimmer profile. Got them on all 3 bikes. No more hand pain and they feel very secure to me (though I do have big muckle hands)

rustler
    Free Member

Yes, liked them. But prefer Lizard Skinz North-Shore’s. Nice big fat grips.

nick1962
    Free Member

Tried them and they help with my Carpal tunnel syndrome reducing the uncomfortable pins and needles sensation I used to get though they do take a bit of adjusting to get right.
    Got some you can try out before you take the plunge
    YGM

Diane
    Free Member

Didn’t like them at all.Love bar ends though (Cane Creek)

FuzzyWuzzy

Tried the Specialized version to and they made my hands ache (despite experimenting with different positions), someone said the Ergons were much better but not tried them.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

used gx1’s bought to illeviate numbing pain on rocky descents mainly – first few rides i didnt really notice them doing anything….

since then my hands/wrist have been pain free – seriously so much that i cant say as i remember the last time i had a painful descent!

and thats after trying probably 5 pairs of peaty/lizardskins/race face grips and the likes…

they are also a great aid when climbing steep long roads, as you have somewhere to keep your wrist up and rested…i honestly think if you set them up correctly (it does take a few efforts of finding the right angle) then they really do work….maybe not for everyone, but i have cured my wrist/hand numbing pain when descending 🙂

also superb service from ergon (based in germany), my screw shattered into a million pieces and the clamp broke….ergon sent me via dhl two spare screws and two spare clamps free of charge….tiny little package turned up from dhl in 2 days from germany!

incredible service that!

scaredypants

They seemed to pump working when i stone up

Yeah, we’ve all been there, maan !

I quite like them but not sure I’d buy another pair if these vanished

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ergon have some new barend grips, the GR2 in L and S.

The missus has some on her hack. Better barend shape compared to the GC range, IMO. Flatter top and grippier.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ergon grips- Has anyone tried them and not got on with them?’ is closed to new replies.