Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Energy Gel Packaging
  • clubber
    Free Member

Why? Seems novel and inventive to me?

Very much doubt it hasn’t been done before. Just like horst link

pedalhead
    Free Member

good tips, thanks chaps. I’ll try the powder + water trick. The powder is generally a 2:1 Maltodextrin:Fructose mix, the former is taken on quickly, the latter a bit more slowly, so I’m guessing there’s not much difference in effect to a “proper” gel.

damo2576
    Free Member

Just looking at the Clif patent, from a brief look at the claims I think its a particularly clever bit of design, not sure why the hate?!

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-uMQAAAAEBAJ&dq=6702462
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=CM0HAAAAEBAJ&dq=Patent+6,244,467

aracer
    Free Member

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/nutrition/torq-gel
    “TORQ energy (TORQ’s energy drink) is formulated using the same 2:1 technology”

Of course the other advantage of mixing powder if you do long events as I (used to) do – you don’t have to carry the water around. I used to carry powder on the first day of Polaris / MMs and mix up new gels at the start of the second day.

aracer
    Free Member

Just looking at the Clif patent, from a brief look at the claims I think its a particularly clever bit of design, not sure why the hate?!

Because it’s a clever bit of design which somebody else had already done.

theotherjonv

Mule have both compostable wrappers for their bars and a gel design that’s easier to use so the top doesn’t tear right off.

And the flavours are nice too.

I don’t work for them, but if they see this and want to send me free stuff, address is in profile 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I use the Torq gels occasionally and can always rip the top enough to get the gel without ripping it right off. But then I can also use a Presta valve, which seems to be beyond many of the gorilla-handed on here.

pedalhead
    Free Member

aracer, what kind of powder/water ratio are we talking about? I’m guessing you’re gonna be putting quite a bit of powder into the flask to make it worthwhile…?

damo2576
    Free Member

Because it’s a clever bit of design which somebody else had already done.

Oh. Didn’t realise, how did it get through prior art etc? Who’s done it before, would be interested to see.

clubber
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Ref the clifbar comments, I’ll bet that it’s a US patent which like the horst link one only applies there. Their patent stuff tends to be silly as you can patent lots of things that just aren’t new.

+1000 – the US patent office appears not to bother with prior art searches (or even having a quick think about whether something is likely to be new), relying instead on letting the courts sort it out. Doubtless the Clifbar* patent (if it exists) would fail if tested properly in a court, but it would cost lots of money for anybody to do that.

*replace “Clifbar” with “Horst link” as desired.

druidh
    Free Member

pedalhead – Member
    aracer, what kind of powder/water ratio are we talking about? I’m guessing you’re gonna be putting quite a bit of powder into the flask to make it worthwhile…?

You can find instructions here… http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/acatalog/info_66.html

brakes
    Free Member

where can I get one of those energy gel bottle thingamies?
    the Torq Guarana bars were great in Morzine when the DTs start to set in – liquid confidence!

pedalhead
    Free Member

ooh good find, thanks druidh!

druidh
    Free Member

clubber – who has done it before?

pedalhead
    Free Member

where can I get one of those energy gel bottle thingamies?

Just Google “gel flask”

aracer
    Free Member

what kind of powder/water ratio are we talking about? I’m guessing you’re gonna be putting quite a bit of powder into the flask to make it worthwhile…?

You can almost fill to the top with powder – though if you do that you have to add a bit of water, shake to get the powder to settle, then add a bit more water, so better to leave ~20% air space at the top. Can’t really help you with specific figures as I don’t measure and it depends what consistency you want the gel (another bonus – you get to choose that), though that ~20% of water by volume is a decent start. Have a play around and see what works for you.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I think the companies who sell gels in landfill tubes could also sell the powder/mix and a flask in a pack. There’s definitely something in the point of sale and the idea of a rider buying improvement. That way the gel folk keep selling their goop and a reduction of wrappers littering the trails/going in the ground.

Surely a sachet can be a paper/film jobby like an Oatso simple? I’d much rather have a little gel flask than a handful of sticky wrappers in a jersey pocket. But then again I prefer a banana to all of that anyway 😆

aracer
    Free Member

ooh good find, thanks druidh!

Indeed – I did mean to mention that you should use mostly unflavoured. Though as I mention, no need to use boiling water, and a shake in the flask works just fine, rather than all that kneeding in a bag – you can make up gel on the go.

HermanShake
    Free Member

THIS SITE has a load of good sounding home-made gel recipes.

clubber
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    clubber – who has done it before?

A quick look shows this for a start but I’m sure there are others
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=CM0HAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

aracer
    Free Member

I think the companies who sell gels in landfill tubes could also sell the powder/mix and a flask in a pack.

High5 did many years ago – before gels in sachets were widely available (possibly even pre-dating gels in sachets – it certainly pre-dated High5 gels in sachets). I presume it wasn’t a big seller as they stopped. All my gel flasks came that way (scary how many I own, hence how much of the stuff I bought) – not an original idea by me at all. When they stopped selling “gel powder” I even got advice from High5 to just use normal drink powder instead.

pedalhead
    Free Member

cheers aracer. I also have a load of maltodextrin etc from myprotein sitting here, so I’ll experiment with making gels from that stuff as well.

damo2576
    Free Member

A quick look shows this for a start but I’m sure there are others
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=CM0HAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

That patent was actually cited in the Clif patent. Obviously not a problem to examiners.

druidh
    Free Member

clubber – sorry for the confusion. I was meaning “who used this sort of packaging before Clif patented it?”

aracer
    Free Member

Obviously not a problem to examiners.

I doubt the “examiners” bothered reading the patent 🙄

13thfloormonk

I used my gel flask for Pesto when I was touring. Haven’t found it since, and I don’t remember cleaning it out either, shudder to think what the insides look like now…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It is a clever bit of design..but..unlike others (Mercedes & ABS is one that springs to mind where a choice was made to benefit the greater good) it was decided that Clif would rather make money from their “litter leash” & not share its benefits freely with others..They arent the first to have behaved in this way & Im sure they wont be the last.

Not hate, more an eyebrow raised in a “HMMmm” style..

2adpr
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. Clearly there is a lot of knowledge on the singletrack forum.

I’ve already had 107 people fill out the survey. Which is great, it is helping me identify the problems clearly.

There is a demand for a biodegradable packet, but it’s not the most commercially viable option at the moment or though I’m sure it will be at some point.Also It may well have the opposite affect intended and actually encourage people to start throwing wrappers on the floor, which isn’t a great mindset to have.If I find the magic material for the job I’ll let you know.

The vast majority of people have said they do pocket empty wrappers either stuffing them in their socks,sleeves shorts and then taking them home to bin them.Whether that’s just the write answer for the survey and they actually just launch them on the floor, I do not know. But the fact that is the majority response is a good thing.

The majority of people agree that putting sticky wrappers into pockets is a pain.So some sort of re-sealing to prevent any sticky mess would be appreciated it seems.

Plenty of people suggested the clif bar litter leash design or something along those lines as a good shout.It is a shame that clif patented it but like was mentioned, I think the patent only applies in the United State as international patents are rather expensive.But i’m probably going to avoid any legal battle with clif until after graduation at least.

The outline of the specification at the moment appears to be a durable packet providing the product longer shelf life so more shops don’t worry about the gels going off. Durable also bodes well for re-use. The way the gel is dispensed, some sort of pressure/syringe ideas etc need to be applied as people agree getting the last drop out is a struggle. If the packet can be opened quicker and dispensed easier, with one hand hopefully we can go faster.

It’s very much early days.Keep all your thoughts coming, they are much appreciated.If your able to get more people to do the survey as well that would be a great help.

Many Thanks

Adam

aracer
    Free Member

I think the patent only applies in the United State as international patents are rather expensive more rigorously vetted

FTFY

2adpr
    Free Member

I’ve been researching away over the last 3 weeks and have uncovered some more information on the subject. I’m currently uploading the resources on to a blog, to share the research with you.

Here is the blog

I believe the collective intellegence of many is going to result in a far more resolved solution to the problem.The more people collaborating and sharing there ideas on this project the more likely we are to find a solution.With all the information provided already and a little more on the blog I hope you can join me and start coming up with ideas to solve the problems.The more ideas the better.This is my call to action, if anyone has got any ideas post them on here.I’ll be posting any of my ideas up shortly.I also believe the users know best.

As Howard Aiken once said-Don’t worry about people stealing your idea if it’s original, you will have to ram it down their throats.

In the survey people have admitted feeling guilty dropping there gels.Others don’t by energy gels because of the litter issues associated with it and event organizers have asked for a biodegradable packets. I will share all the survey results with you soon. I can tell you 25% of people have admitted to littering.

So please comment on the blog posts, suggest and discuss ideas on here and feel free to get in touch, send me a message on here.

Cheers Adam

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Top tip, do not try to rip the top off the sachetwith your teeth whilst cycling and grasping said sachet quite firmly and competing in your first triathlon! Half the gel went in my ear, the other half hit the guy I was overtaking straight between the eyes!

pjt201
    Free Member

i can’t remember which teams now, but I saw a photo that showed that a couple of pro-tour teams had additional pockets on their jerseys for litter this year. The pockets were further round the hips from the normal three and were there purely for stuffing used gel wrappers in. I thought that was a great idea.

iDave
    Free Member

2adpr – there is no link to your blog?

2adpr
    Free Member

Thanks iDave the link to blog is here.

http://2adpr-energygelpackaging.blogspot.com/view/flipcard

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Energy Gel Packaging’ is closed to new replies.