Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Enduroists – recommend some body armour
  • Garry_Lager

Thinking some protection is in order for the EWS, but never used armour before. What do you reckon to this shirt from tld (I have separate elbow pads):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-bp-7850-hw-short-sleeve-shirt-2015/rp-prod59939

Is this the type of thing the enduro crowd wear? Wondering how people compromise comfort v protection – that one looks quite light, for example, well on the comfort side of things.

stevied
    Free Member

I got one of these recently although I’m not an enduro-ist. Fit is on the snug side but the protection seems to be much better than I was expecting. Quite lightweight too, so far so good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-sub-gear-l-s-shirt-2015/rp-prod113565

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Most true Enduro Wizards will just go with knee pads.

That doesn’t look like much fun to wear on a big loop.

BoardinBob

A pressure suit type setup would be too heavy and I can’t remember seeing anyone wearing one in a race.

I use Nukeproof knee pads. Best I’ve ever used in terms of fit and comfort.

I also carry a pair of Troy Lee SE elbow guards and slip them on for stages where I want some extra protection. They’re ultra light weight, easy to carry in my backpack and easy to get on and off quickly.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I picked up a 661 Evo Preassure suit for my first enduro (this weekend).

I was also looking at Scott Recruit Pro II and O’Neal Magnetic Morveo, but went with the 661 in the end, due to coverage and availability.

I’ve done a few 3 hour rides wearing it, a jacket and a back pack (plenty of climbing too). The back protector feels similar to wearing a backpack, and not much sweatier. At first I wore the chest plate too tight and noticed it affected my breathing, but I wear it a little looser now and it’s fine. My jacket blocks the wind out, so it hasn’t been much warmer with the chest plate (but it is a bit warmer). The arms and shoulders are good too, off the bike I notice restriction in movement at the extremes, but on the bike I don’t notice it. They form around your arms and can be a bit hard to get off. I’m not a very sweaty person, and the weather has been cool but I’ve not thought it was too hot. I’d been wearing a baselayer, t-shirt and jacket before I got it. Just this and a jacket or jersey now. They are about equal in warmth.
    The chest plate and back protector are removable too, so you could just run with the elbow and shoulder padding.

marky29er
    Free Member

I have that model of troy lee, recommend, comes up large so go for a smaller size. Difficult to get off at the end of the day.
    I like it so much I will buy the lowers at some point.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve got that troy lee top, well the sleeveless one. The picture is very deceptive. It really has minimal padding. A few small thin bits of foam in a lightweight top.

I’ve not sure it would offer much in the way of protection at all. Might stop a bit of gravel rash (who slides on their chest?) or take the sting out of a light knock. But I don’t believe it’ll do much if you actually hit a rock or a tree stump at race speed.

It is comfy and very light though. I still wear mine. I bought it second hand for a fraction of the RRP. I would have been a bit disgruntled if I’d payed full price for it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Knee pads, open lid and goggles FTW.

The trick is that with goggles on you trick yourself into thinking you’re wearing a full face and armour (or at least I do as I only wear the armour with the full face and goggles) and push harder as a result, whilst still being able to breath and move about

BoardinBob

I stopped wearing a pressure suit on DH days as they’re too bulky. Stuff riding 30k & 1200m of climbing in one!

Northwind

No way would I have worn my dh armour for either of those days last year tbh… Long days, some very hard pedals, I was hot enough and tired enough.

TBH, none of it really struck me as especially dangerous. Relatively likely to crash, aye, but not at 40mph into a rock, more likely at jogging pace into a swamp.

cubemeup
    Free Member

just knee pads for me, its hard enough climbing after a stage of racing without having some extra weight on around my chubby body (avoid the word fat)

Garry_Lager

Thks all – food for thought.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Enduroists – recommend some body armour’ is closed to new replies.