Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Enduro/All mountain (used) bike for trooper wannabe?
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Background: I’ve always ridden xc, currently ride an alloy Scalpel 29er, previously owned a fully rigid Kona Unit for quite a few years. I’m pretty bad at downhills as I’ve had a mtb break for about a year and I’m trying to bring my (limited) skills back.

I mostly ride at Surrey Hills, the friend I ride with has an enduro bike and he descends some sections that I either walk or take the chicken alternative. He told me he used to be like me until he got the enduro bike, and that I should get one.

Not to say that I’d love to do what he does and try jumps, etc etc.

So should I try to push the limits on the Scapel or get a second hand enduro bike (I’ve seen nice ones for around £1000). I don’t really care if it’s 26, 27.5 or 29 as I think wheel size is more noticeable on hardtails.
    I also don’t really care about the weight in the sense that I wouldn’t pay £500 more for carbon.

Some bikes I’ve seen that are in my budget:
    Liteville 601 mk1 with Lyrik
    Giant Reign
    Orange Five
    Lapierre Spicy
    Nukeproof Mega
    Commencal Meta AM

chrishc777
    Free Member

I ride a Liteville 601 when I go to the Italian alps, amazing bit of kit but it’s alot of bike for the UK

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

For what I see travel can be adjusted from 160 to 190mm.
    So should I avoid the Liteville then?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d suggest a MET Parachute helmet first.

chr15
    Free Member

A big bike will bail you out of a lot of sticky situations but one day you”ll write a cheque it can’t cash. Budget for some skills coaching too!

Any of those bikes will add to your confidence. But the liteville stands out as being ‘bigger’ than the others. The 301 would be a more direct comparison.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

If I end up getting such a bike I’m doing a skills course for sure!
    Pitty the 601 is too much, I loved the looks.

chr15
    Free Member

You could get a 601 and get into the kind of riding that’d make the most of it? I know retiree who does regular uplift days on his ‘big’ bike!

Some coaching would help you get more out of your current/not such a big bike just as it might help you keep a big bike under control.

Northwind

Does it replace the scalpel or are you keeping it? That’d free you up to build a more focused bike rather than an allrounder… A big enduro type bike can be an allrounder but, it’s a bit harder to do- big tough parts are pretty inexpensive, tough light parts that pedal often not so much…

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’d keep the Scalpel as I also do 50+ mile rides. It would be a specific bike.
    Chr15: you’re totally right, I just need to find a course with a good teacher! Any suggestions?
    Before getting into 601 stuff I’d like to learn 301 stuff, also living in London I dont think there are any places for the 601 nearby.

chr15
    Free Member

Isn’t there an outfit that delivers courses round Surrey Hills? There’s someone at Swinley too I think? Of course you get more for your money up north but it’s a long way to drive/train/pedal…!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP you will see all of those around the Surrey Hills. IMO the Spicey is a bit too DH, Zesty better for what you want. Ditto Trance vs Reign. You might look at Cube too.

If you don’t mind 26 then tons of great used bikes available for good prices. Both my bikes are 26 and TBH I ride my BFe hardtail down almost everything in the Surrey Hills, I am slower than on my Covert FS but I find its more fun on the BFe as the trails are a ittle tricker to ride so keeps it interesting. Small jumps only.

As above best money you’ll spend is on a skills course, there a few round Surrey Hills or drive to the best, Tony/Jedi at UK Bike Skills. If your bike jas 120mm forks you shouod be able to get down most stuff no problem, working on your body position and braking is what you need to do. A full-suss enduro bike will make it easier hence the nick name of “skills compensator” but its not essential.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

The Scalpel has 100mm front and rear travel, but has XC geo, so you’re more stretched over the bike (which I really love for XC riding)

stevied
    Free Member

I’m riding a 601 for everything I do as it’s my only bike. I don’t do mega-miles but regularly do up to 20 miles at a time over the Malvern Hills so some big(ish) climbs and great downs.
    Just got back from a week in Canada where it also performed flawlessly trying to keep up with my mates on full-DH bikes. Only changes I made was to put a coil Vivid on instead of the air, stick dual ply tyres on and take the Reverb off.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I used to be like you, then I got a big full susser. Its a lot heavier to carry down the hill.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

So did you go back to you previous bike then?

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d say that something with more “enduro” geometry and more travel would probably help your confidence, but (depending on whether it’s a lefty on your scalpel which might limit things) you can make a big difference by just changing things like the stem length, tyres etc.

I can only think of one feature I’d hesitate to ride on my HT that I will ride on my big bike, for what it’s worth.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

It’s a Lefty…I’ve put some 2.4 tires on it though.

weeksy

Up your budget to £1250 and i’ll sell you a Kona Process 153 🙂

andybrad

tbh the liteville is a big bike and probably not what your after. They are high bikes for technical downhill and uphill stuff. I would suggest if your wanting to get confidence on the dows you want a heavy low bike. You wont get pinged off line as much and the low bb will help with confidence. So something like the orange.

But its all about the year with all the bikes. Anything in the last few years is great in the above list but the liteville is a different bike really. However go and buy something thats > 7 years old and its pointless for that your after.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Just an update:
    Following the advice I was given here I booked a 1 to 1 session with Nathan from bikeskills.

I honestly think it’s the best investment I’ve done in anything related to bikes.

If I had been told I was going to do the things I ended up doing I might have not booked the session because of fear. I still can’t believe I did all those jumps, drops, steeps sections etc … TBH in real terms I didn’t do anything spectacular, but to me, it felt like it.

Everything was ridden with the Scalpel, bottomed the suspension a few times, and once in the steep section I realised I hadn’t lowered the dropper once I got to the bottom, so that gives you an idea of the kind of skills you are coached to.

Most important is that I now know what to practise, and how to do it properly, not that I’m getting it right every time, but at least I know what my errors are and how to fix it.

Once all this info has settled in, I’m back up there for sure.

maxtorque

Jedi/Nath coaching really is the best value for money you can get in the bike world! Make the most of your current bike, dial your skills, and work up to something bigger / more capable when you’ve got your skillset to match!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Enduro/All mountain (used) bike for trooper wannabe?’ is closed to new replies.