Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Enduro 1 Race – Swinley Forest – 14th October
  • scottfitz
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Tempted! Want to try one of these Enduros, and I’m struggling to imagine what stuff they could include at Swinley that would turn it into a DH race, which I’m keen to avoid!

flange
    Free Member

Lol – looks brilliant – bring a GPS or get lost! Thats my type of race….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still contemplating it. Probably will though as it’s only up the road & it’s a day out.

Better practice getting my pedal on for this one.

TiRed

Tempted, as I’m local. No singlespeed class 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I probably will if I’m free. Not keen on using GPS. The terrain might help my position as I’m not bad at pedalling but I’d rather it was hillier.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All credit to the organizers for being upfront about the venue.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Sounds like it will be fun getting lost at swinley, like every other ride I have done there 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Might give it a go, depends on the weather

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely by definition of being significantly shorter than any XC race held at Swinely it should be ‘sprint XC’ rather than ‘enduro DH’.

Still looks fun though.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Yep I have entered!! First Enduro race, done a few xc, 24hr, dh and other things but not an enduro as yet…
    So its flat… hmmm, I have a trek scratch or an evil sovereign but thats just singlespeed, hmmm what to take?!

Why does it say gps but then also say dont worry the whole course will be fully marked out so you dont need to buy one :S

njee20
    Free Member

It does then say the courses will be fully taped out, so I don’t really get the gps comment.

p7rich
    Free Member

It does then say the courses will be fully taped out, so I don’t really get the gps comment.

Have a look at the Enduro1 site. Carlos (the organiser) has had problems in the past re walkers, etc sabotaging courses. Guess GPS is just a safeguard?

Never ridden Swinley but can recommend this as i rode the other 2 in the Enduro1 series this year. Hoping to do this one too.

scottfitz
    Free Member

From doing two of the enduro 1 races before, the timed sections will be taped and marked out but the XC bits between stages(not timed) were mark with orange arrows on trees and some bits of tape. I think it is these orange arrow they are not allowed. So GPS to help you get from stage to stage and the time stages marked out.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Surely by definition of being significantly shorter than any XC race held at Swinely it should be ‘sprint XC’ rather than ‘enduro DH’.

‘sprint XC’ sounds about right on a trail that is mostly going down. Plus 2 skills stages a no dab Tecky one and a mini no dab steep hill climb.

I have a trek scratch or an evil sovereign but thats just singlespeed

I would go for bike with gears, i ride singlespeed and flat/down could be very spinny. 😕

kimbers

they have enough marshals now so gps no longer required!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

great, seemed a bit confusing… will take the trek will have a go at changing the little bit that changed the frame angles on the swingarm/evo link which ive never tried, try make it as xc as possible!

weeksy

Seems strange this is the same day as the Gorrick Autumn classic series start.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Seems strange this is the same day as the Gorrick Autumn classic series start.

Very

superfli
    Free Member

Does that mean the carpark will be rammed?

Straightliner

Gorrick Autumn Classic is at Tunnel Hill, so can’t see why this would have any impact on Swinley.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Carpark will still be rammed, with 180 riders, the look out gets quite busy with out an event (If its nice)

scottfitz
    Free Member

One thing that might happen at swinley is non-racers riding the stage and getting in racers way. 😐

weeksy

Straightliner – Member
    Gorrick Autumn Classic is at Tunnel Hill, so can’t see why this would have any impact on Swinley.

It won’t from a both riding in the forest perspective, but would affect number of entrants.

kimbers

is it free parking at coral reef world?

scottfitz
    Free Member

no

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are plenty of places to park in the vicinity of Swinley if you don’t want to pay £4 to park there.

Just means a gentle pootle to the Look Out car park for the start.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Its only £3 for 4 hours shouldn’t worry to many people.

superfli
    Free Member

Fun day. Well organised, well signed and marshalled, lots of wet mud and plenty of peddling 😀 +the odd dog walker who stood defiantly blocking the trail regardless of our shouts! nbber!

Well done Carlos and co for putting on a great event – some fantastic prizes for the series winners!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Yep was a good day 🙂

simonbea
    Free Member

The soft and loose ground there really drains you quick, was great fun though and I have enough free mags to keep my toilet reading going till Christmas

scottfitz
    Free Member

Bit of a race report:

Strava of the race route: http://app.strava.com/rides/25084096#

This is how it worked 5 timed stages all about 2-4mins long with transitions in-between taking in some of the fav’s swinley trail (Labyrinth, stickler, seagull, Deer Stalker)

The stages themselves:

Stage 1: Bit XC with Tec features
    Stage 2: Bit less XC with a couple of DH style bits
    Stage 3: Was the tank traps
    Stage 4: Team stage(All 4 team members start at ones and time is last one to cross the line)
    Was DH to start, small sharp climb, DH bit to xc finish.
    Stage 5: XC start, DH all the way to the jump gully (note to self don’t whip in time race run).

All in all a good day, a good mix of trail for all abilities.

As for the winner the results will be released on Wednesday.
    (Ryan Bevis was fast) Rob Francis was too!

The race for me got better after stage 2 for me, i was sick on transition between stage 1 and 2 felt bit better by the start of 2. must have pushed it to hard on 1 with not much warm up. Then there was a bloke with a dog on the finish line of stage two (Knob) He was arguing with the marshal. Had to slow down and cross the line though a bush!
    Stage 3,4&5 all went to plan 😉

Looking for to next years event’s
    Going to try and get a team togeather for next year to try and win some of thoughs x-fusion forks

Next up for me is Pearce Cycles Hopton Woods Charity Gravity Enduro:
    http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/hopton_woods_charity_gravity_enduro
    one of the stages is 12mins long 😯
    Its going to be epic! See every one sunday that is racing.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Well I had a day that wasn’t worth remembering.

A combinaion of the cold playing havoc with my asthma & an amazing ability to crash at whim on various non features. I managed to write the day off (and almost myself) in the first stage.

Not what I was hoping for!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Good going Scottfitz.

We had blinking horses at Lee Quarry yesterday in the middle of the race ffs!

I;m heading down to Hopton next weekend as a complete DH and Enduro novice any tips (technique and gear) would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

kimbers

Hi scott, ha i nearly puked after stage 1 too, not enough of a warm up really hurt me
    couldnt hang around to say hi, see you at next years

anyway had a great day, some of the taping wasnt perfect but all in all was a great day and good laugh

sadly cant make hopton 🙁

culpzy
    Free Member

Got lost, almost missed my timing slot, went off the track once and almost lost my friend! Overall a great day though! My busy was also almost sick after the 1st stage haha. (We got lost after the 1st stage too which didn’t help.)

scottfitz
    Free Member

Got lost, almost missed my timing slot, went off the track once and almost lost my friend! Overall a great day though! My busy was also almost sick after the 1st stage haha. (We got lost after the 1st stage too which didn’t help.)

They were long transition between stages, you had to really concentrate on where you were going. I didn’t think the tape was that bad on this round, it is hard to follow it as you are puking though 😳

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I thought it was ok but the only bit that sticks in the mind was the beginning of stage 4. All the rest would have been faster on a noodly race bike, especially stages 1 & 2, with 3 being part of the Gorrick 100 course.
    I think Enduro should be a step up in gnarliness from xc, especially as everyone seemed to be on full sussers or like me, beefy hardtails.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Enduro 1 Race – Swinley Forest – 14th October’ is closed to new replies.