Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Endura Clothing
  • AverageMark
    Free Member

Brought a Convert 2 jacket at the end of November and have been pleased with it, problem is that the stitching on one of the zips that attaches the arms to the jacket has started to come away. Now without the use of this zip can't use the jacket as a Gilet which is a bit of a bugger. I'm thinking that 3 months is a bit quick for it to go pear shaped and will send it back. Thing is i like the Endura clothing but i'm getting the impression it can be a bit hit or miss. For example 1 pair of Humvee shorts have lasted 2 years odd now whilst another pair lasted 6 months of little use before letting go at the seams. Anyone else found this? my singletrack shorts seem to be fine and i hope they stay that way as i rate them as well. Anyone else i should be looking to for clothing in a similar price range as the Endura stuff but maybe a little more durable?

druidh
    Free Member

Like you say – it's a bit hit or miss. I've had stuff at both ends of the spectrum. I prefer to spend a bit more and get better gear now.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Apparently quality has dropped. Or so I am told by someone who works where they sell their stuff. Personal experience of the waterproof 3/4 trousers was bad. Joints wore away, stitching failed and waterproof didn't last that long.

gazza100

I stopped buying Endura about a 18 months ago after 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of gloves fell apart. Phoned Endura and they repaired my Humvee shorts, only for the stitching to come away again. Took them to a local sewing / alteration shop and they commented on the type of stitching used and said it isnt suitable. They repaired them and the shorts have been fine since. I tend to buy Gore now.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The second zipper pull came off my 3 month old MT500 neoprene overshoes as I put them on last night (the other side has a cable tie in its place). They had 2 pairs of Singletrack shorts back where the belts broke on them last year. I seem to have a fair bit of their kit, so do keep buying it (Baa Baa, tights, thin hat) but I'm getting a bit fed up with it too.

BoardinBob

My endura gloves fell to pieces this week after about 9 months. Very dissapointed as my previous Trek gloves lasted about 5 years and even then i only had to retire them because I had worn a hole in the finger. Apart from that they were still in one piece!

AverageMark
    Free Member

I had a pair of their gloves that i brought in 08 that lasted a year – i thought that was pretty good going.

oldfart

Deffo hit n miss .Some older stuff i've got is brilliant .I've lived in singletrack trousers lately but am on my 3rd pair of strike gloves because they ARENT WATERPROOF though they are meant to be !

J0N
    Free Member

Definately hit and miss with the misses seaming (pun intended) to be gaining the upper hand. Shame.
    Fox clothing is of a similar price to the higher end Endura clothing and probably better styling.

Jamie
    Free Member

So far i have been on the good side with my Zymes, both 3/4 and regular, and leg warmers.

DezB
    Free Member

Sizing has gone weird too. Recently bought a Baabaa and no way was it a large. I know they're supposed to be close fitting, but they are supposed to cover your belly!

That said my Humvee trousers are brilliant and I still use my Bryce jacket which must be 10 years old and 2 pairs of the old style MT500 shorts which are older than that.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Got my first set of Humvee 3/4's in early summer, liked them so much I bought another pair for hols. By the end of hols, both sets had poppers that wouldn't keep done up. Contacted Endura on return and they replaced both sets immediately, no fuss, quite impressive. Shame the product build seem a bit hit and miss as I like the fit, design etc.
    Q

stugus
    Free Member

Not had any issues with durability but I bought a pair of short liners in large and their sizing seems to be all over the place I could barely get them on!! I'm usually a 32 inch waist. Also bough 2 different pairs of shorts, both med, again 2 very different sizes.
    Shame really I think they're fair priced stuff and not bad designs.

BoardinBob

Not had any issues with durability but I bought a pair of short liners in large and their sizing seems to be all over the place

This.

I bought a pair of Endura over trousers in XL and couldn't get them past my thighs and I'm a 34" waist in normal clothes!

scruzer
    Free Member

Had stitching issues a few years back but recent stuff has been ok. That said I struggle to fing a bike clothing company that can sew! That's roadie and mtb. I honestly couldnt mention a brand that has never given me jipp! Therefore I have given up black listing manufactures for this matter… and keep a needle and thread handy around the house

wilburracing
    Free Member

hit and miss much like evertyone else. I like the design and the prices but sometimes its the details that let Endura down.

for example, the zips on my gillet and event jacket don't give you confidence that they will last. Also the poppers on my singletrack shorts and Mt500 shorts failed. Some more thought into the waist fastening would help, maybe reinforced with velcro or bigger poppers? The seams on my singletracks were repaired before they finally completely let go.

I want to buy british but its annoying going through a pair of shorts every 6 months. I've had similar problems with Altura too

AverageMark
    Free Member

There seems to be a general consensus that the gear is great when it does work but doesn't last to well? Would we all swallow say a 10% price rise if the durablity issues where fixed? i think i would happily pay the extra if it meant they would last.

portlyone

Had a pair of Humvees that lasted for a couple of years, used week in week out, before fraying on me. Bought a new pair recently but the stitching came loose after only a few rides.

The Convert II jacket I have no complaints with.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I would prefer to buy their products every time, just to keep jobs in the UK, but you gotta wonder if it's worth it for poor quality.

Not had any probs myself with the branded goods, but as has been said, hit-and-miss means people will aim for something different next purchase.

Pierre

Unlike pretty much every other major manufacturer I can think of, Endura have an excellent customer service team. They have had quality issues (although I'm still using a pair of MT500 longs from about ten years ago) from time to time but they're a lovely bunch of people who actually care about quality. They're all cyclists and they make their stuff for cyclists – if you've got a problem give them a call and have a chat.

I don't work with or for Endura but IMO they're the best cycle clothing company out there – they aim for their top-end stuff to be as good, if not better than, any other top-end stuff, yet their entry-level stuff is often better value than, well, Altura. If you guys are breaking their stuff, don't just stop buying their stuff, let them know! By doing so you'll help their R&D, improve future clothing, and chances are they'll replace or repair your kit for you…

: P

oldfart

Mike T keep jobs in the uk ?Only office / warehouse .My Srike gloves were made in CHINA !!!!

Pierre

AFAIK, design, office, warehouse and manufacture of the higher-end stuff is all in the UK (can't remember the name of the place – Livingston? – half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh), the more mass-produced stuff is done overseas, but they still try and keep things UK-based where possible, and they're a fairtrade-sort of affair. I remember an Endura rep saying something like their marketing could focus on being as farty as Rapha or as hippy as Howies but they preferred to keep it simple and make stuff that just works well.

: P

glenncampbell

In my experience Endura products have been good (I don't work for them either!) – as is their after sales service. I've had 3 pairs of MT500 shorts for 3 years and no issues with them at all. My 6 your old bib tights were knackered, I sent them off and got them back as good as new in 2 weeks for £15. Sometimes the zips on my overshoes broke (fingers numb at end of cold ride) and they've been repaired too. Would prefer not to break the zips in the first case but their stuff works and if you get a problem it can be repaired in the UK!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Their warranty side is good – but even they appeared to admit that they were having some sizing issues. The Singletrack shorts were replaced with two other pairs – it's just that they didn't fit, so they went back and I got a full refund. Such a shame as the original shorts were far and away the comfiest and best styled ones I've ever owned. It's just that they broke. 🙁

chrispalmr
    Free Member

As per many others here:
    Singletrack gloves – 2 pairs in quick succession; gave up with consistent stitching failure.
    Humvee Shorts – 2 pairs, both had popper failures, had them repaired at local dry cleaners (would have sent to Endura, but living in upstate NY at the time!)
    Singletrack shorts – Great so far in Size M however…
    Clickfast liners – Apparently I need Size L; how is that if outers are M?
    Baa Baa LS base layer – comfy but still on the short side of L
    Just bought an MT500 jersey/jacket which is fab – I hope it lasts

akira

Never had an issue with quality, got some 3/4 Zymes, 3/4 Humvees, FS260 top and a Stealth jacket, sizing is a bit weird but been impressed with price and build.
    Don't get on with their gloves as the fingers are very long.

scotster
    Free Member

I have a soft spot for Endura as they were small enough to do a limited run of 15 team jerseys around 12 years ago and they are still going strong – and believe me, we have tried to kill those jerseys.. My 12 year old tights have had the gusset stiched once but they are still my favourite winter warmers.

I do like my Gore N2S softshell though…..

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

Just want to know if all the people complaining about Endura products tried them on in their LBS prior to making a purchase or bought online.

No excuse on Endura's part for the comments above but I've been buying (almost exclusively) Endura products ages in my LBS and I'm happy.

For satisfaction in LBS use following routine…Look at product, take of shelf, examine carefully, try on, scratch testicles, take off, look at label try on again, pick nose, walk away, look at ridiculous C02 tyre inflation device, walk back, examine again, determine financial impact on other half, go to counter hand over cash..

Never been disappointed

mrelectric

I've got alot of Endura stuff and am pretty happy with it. My LBS All Terrain have a good range.
    Got Humvee 3/4s off ebay a few years ago and still going strong. Got Thermolite bib tights in Nov and they're brill. Had to go up size: L for a 34" waist. not sure how mant washes the thigh logo will stay on for….
    I wear my Convert as a gilet most days on the off-road commute and at w/e and is is wearing reasonably well. Really w/proof but still sweaty. Seam in left pocket went a while ago but didnt go back to the LBS with it as it was probaly my keys that knackered it. Front plastic zip is starting to go..
    eVent 3/4 trousers work very well but the seams wore through on each buttock after only 7 months. Got a full credit from factory though and will I replace with the new PTFE Ventura 2 version. I do hope the sewing or design is better to withstand the UK grit grinding paste they should expect.
    BTW, not many people & shops are aware of the EU 2 year limited warranty from the time of delivery. So from what I understand, if something breaks within 2 years and the retailer or manufacturer claim that there is only a 1 year warranty, you refer them to Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999). HOWEVER, it may not always be that simple. See:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/tips-and-guides/article.html?in_article_id=487339&in_page_id=53954&in_advicepage_id=131

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Endura Clothing’ is closed to new replies.