• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Employment question- how does this work then? Permanent back to contractor
  • Northwind

Slightly long story this…

Up until April of last year, I was working in a short-term contractor role at my company. It was alright- good people, bit unchallenging, adequate but not great money. I was generally happy there but felt like I was going nowhere.

After a while, I took a permanent position elsewhere in the company- better money, permanent contract, but unfortunately an incompetent nutter for a boss. Things came to a head and my position became impossible, ended up signed off with work related stress.

I wrote off the position pretty quickly, and decided I didn’t want to make a fight of it, so since then we’ve been looking at alternatives.

Now, a position in my old team is opening up- based on my old role with some extra responsibilities. Still short-term contracts, slightly more money. But mostly it’s a way to get off the sick and back into working, and it’s an environment I know I’d be happy in.

So… How do you go from permanent to contracting within a company? Hand in your notice for the old role? And how does that impact your employee rights etc? I’ve been there over 2 years all told…

There’s possibly legal rights and wrongs about the overall situation which to be honest, I’m not that concerned with- it’s a mutually satisfactory outcome of a crappy situation. But my limited contract law knowledge doesn’t cover this at all and tbh the HR guys don’t always seem terribly clued up either, there’s a lot of inconsistency.

Just wondered if anyone has any input really. It’s not done and dusted yet but Old Boss wants me back, I want to go back, HR people want to stop paying me money to ride bikes…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Employment question- how does this work then? Permanent back to contractor’ is closed to new replies.