Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ‘Elongate’ is getting longer
  • number18
    Free Member

For how much longer can the company cope with his bizarre behaviour and comments?  Sounds like he’s lost the plot.

I don’t have a problem with anyone smoking weed, just seems daft to do it in such a public way in his position, especially considering recent controversies.  You’d think he’d keep his head down for a while, or at least play it straight.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/09/07/tesla-turmoil-elon-musk-smokes-marijuana-live-show-top-executives/

somafunk

He also drank alcohol on the show 😱, think of the children 👶

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They need to sort out employment culture first.

doris5000

it is quite amusing, especially since Tesla drug test their staff and will fire anyone who has been smoking weed

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Thats not the case i dont think? I heard theyre allowed trace amounts and rightly so.

Everyone loves to hate these days.. if it wasnt for people like elon with a bit of personality and a streak of madness the world would be a very boring backward place.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I sort of wonder if this is all a deliberate ploy to crash the stock value of Tesla and thereby allow him to buy back a load of it at a reduced price i.e. much lower than the 420 that was touted a couple of weeks back.

stewartc
    Free Member

I sort of wonder if this is all a deliberate ploy to crash the stock value of Tesla and thereby allow him to buy back a load of it at a reduced price i.e. much lower than the 420 that was touted a couple of weeks back.

Bingo

cornholio98
    Free Member

I wonder how this is all viewed by the Saudi investment trusts he is trying to get to help him buy the company.

he has done well but it does look like the pressure of turning a start up into a real company is starting to get to him.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Bravo to number18 for the thread title!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Tesla are doomed when the big boys start to impinge on their territory.

nicko74

I very belatedly realised yesterday that the “420” quote itself could be a weed reference (still don’t know why, but 420 is about getting stoned). One can see why investors are perhaps a bit wary right now…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I very belatedly realised yesterday that the “420” quote itself could be a weed reference (still don’t know why, but 420 is about getting stoned). One can see why investors are perhaps a bit wary right now…

420 is supposedly US Police code for Cannabis Possession,  there’s a US Radio station that plays a Bob Marley song everyday at 16:20 gggrrr, Sorry I don’t like it, but 4:20pm).

*I’m told* that if you search for 420 on Gumtree et al you can find some enterprising young chaps in the rare herbs industry.

P-Jay
    Free Member

PS, I’ve read Tesla has a very loose recruitment policy for it’s Production Line Workers with little or no background checks, although some ‘Anonymous Former Workers’ have claimed to have been fired for failing drug tests.

As with so many things in our increasing polarized world which is true, who knows.

trailwagger
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>I very belatedly realised yesterday that the “420” quote itself could be a weed reference (still don’t know why, but 420 is about getting stoned). One can see why investors are perhaps a bit wary right now…</span>

Something to do with Californian students getting stoned at 4.20pm after school or something I believe

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

Did anyone actually watch the show? He took perhaps 4 drags on the joint, and smoked it like a cigar – blew the smoke out. Plus, he’s in California where it’s legal anyway. And if he prefers to drug test his employees, that’s his call, y’know, him being the owner etc.

I found him hard to listen to, but also agreed with some of his thinking, especially around AI. Like when it’s here, it’s too late (obviously a little more detailed than that…).

420 is California State Sentate bill 420 which refers (reefers? ha) to the use of medical marijuana. Not the time kids finished school. Or police codes.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

420 is California State Sentate bill 420 which refers (reefers? ha) to the use of medical marijuana. Not the time kids finished school. Or police codes.

Coincidence. Read the snipes link above your post, it was the time when they met to smoke, a neat little story when you read it. Or a well written fairy tale.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah who knows. Wiki says similar but would be a weird coincidence if the state bill was 420 too hey? I don’t entirely trust Snopes either as people seem to think it’s the be all and end all of fact checking.

hols2
    Free Member

And if he prefers to drug test his employees, that’s his call, y’know, him being the owner etc.

He’s not the owner, he’s the CEO of a publicly traded company in which he is also a shareholder.

Most likely, the drug testing policy is required for insurance purposes, etc. If Musk wants to get drunk and smoke dope on his own time, good for him, but it really looks bad if he’s doing it publicly like that. Problem is that, if a regular employee turns up for work drunk and gets fired, lawyers will point to the drug policy being enforced selectively.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

But it was in his own time. It wasn’t a work meeting. He talked about some of his work, true. But that’s what some people do. Chat about work over a beverage, maybe a joint.

It’s not illegal to smoke weed in California where the interview took place. It might not be the best image to portray, I agree with that. But, he wasn’t at work. So who cares, really? Have you seen how many podcasts Joe Rogan has done? It’s not news that he smokes and that the majority of his guests do to. I’m not sure why it’s a big deal just because Mr Musk had a few drags and a glass or two of Scotch?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Do as I say, not as I do.

hols2
    Free Member

I’m not sure why it’s a big deal just because Mr Musk had a few drags and a glass or two of Scotch?

Because he’s the public face of a very well known company who has started behaving really erratically due, apparently, to lack of sleep and drug use. If people want to have a drink or smoke dope in private, that’s fine, but his behavior raises doubts about his suitability to run his company. He’s a public figure by his own choice, so his behavior is rightly held to a different standard than average people doing stuff in the privacy of their own home.

One legal point is that alcohol clears your system within hours, so having some drinks before bed isn’t a problem for taking a sobriety test the next day. THC takes much longer to clear your system, as I understand it, so you can fail a drug test days after smoking. If Tesla ever fires someone for failing a drug test, then that person’s lawyer’s first question will probably be why Elon Musk wasn’t fired despite publicly smoking dope. If I was a Tesla shareholder, I would be very concerned about his behavior.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Again you’re right in some senses. Alcohol does clear relatively quickly – takes the body around an hour to process a unit of alcohol, but many factors slow the process down. Having a large meal slows down the process. Sleep does to to some extent. So you can still be way over the limit the next morning, as many can attest to. There are units and measurements here.

There is no such measurement for THC – there’s so much variation in strengths and dosage. It does take longer for it the be completely out of your system, but there’s no measure of how stoned you are, or how this effects an individuals performance or reaction. In the eyes of the law, you’re either positive or negative for THC.

Anyway. I’m not bothered what another person chooses to ingest or not ingest, overall. Having watched the show, he literally took 4 drags. And exhaled. Presidents have smoked more. ;o)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘‘Elongate’ is getting longer’ is closed to new replies.