Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Elite Turbo Trainers…. is yours flexy?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve got a couple of turbo trainers, on of mine is not very flexy at all, but my Elite I’ve just picked up is very flexy – side to side and fore and aft.

Does anyone else have an Elite turbo and they’re the same? I’m guessing the flex will reduce stress on the frame?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ricks

grantyboy
    Free Member

no flex on mine, chrono model

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Not tried one, but reading the spec they seem to be designed like that.

From product spec:
    “Allows the cyclist to move around on the bike, better simulating the feel of real riding, all whilst offering a more stable support platform than the previous Crono design”

EDIT: which model do you have?

aidso
    Free Member

Yup I’ve an Elite Super Crono and mine shifts about. On the opposite arm to the lever, you can twist it to make the grip tighter, but it still moves about. As said above, I think it is to make it more realistic. My issue is the thing rocking forward when I stand up to beast-it. I think I need to move the mag wheel back to the last screw.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is the one I have got (Crono Fluid). Not too sure what you mean about flexy? Obviously as the wheel is not clamped in to a triangular frame it does move around, and yes if you wiggle the bars the axis through the rear hub will move back wards and forwards, but why would you be wobbling excessively side to side?

I actually like the feeling it gives ie it doesnt feel like your clamped in to some thing.

Edit: With regards to the bike moving forwards off the roler when sprinting, I bought the front wheel block, and although it hasnt completely stopped it, its stopped most of it.

Coleman
    Free Member

Yep same here if it’s a crono or super crono model. A bit disconcerting initially but they are designed that way to give a more natural feel. The latest super crono seems to have even more lateral movement than the older crono, but that is probably due to the new fast fix clamp system.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps – I was a bit concerned about flying off the turbo and ending up in the wall.

I’ll get a front wheel block order too Funky – cheers

Ricks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Word of caution though. The info says the front block brings the front wheel to the correct level. It doesnt on my road bike, I still need to put a thick book under it. 🙁

MarkN
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps – I was a bit concerned about flying off the turbo and ending up in the wall.

If you do then do not forget the pictures.

This is a great use for an old or even current Argos catalogue. Works a treat on mine.

Hingy
    Free Member

I go the CycleOps block for mine and it has three slots so you can choose the front wheel height.

mogrim

Mine’s pants for sprinting efforts, as soon as you shift your weight forward you lose traction on the rear wheel – I’ve got the front block too, though I’ve not tried putting another book under it.

Hadn’t noticed much side-to-side flex, but then as I haven’t done much standing sprinting (for the reason above) that’s to be expected.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Mine’s pants for sprinting efforts, as soon as you shift your weight forward you lose traction on the rear wheel – I’ve got the front block too, though I’ve not tried putting another book under it.

Hadn’t noticed much side-to-side flex, but then as I haven’t done much standing sprinting (for the reason above) that’s to be expected.

+1 for all of this, same here

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think they are a great turbo for standing sprints, but they are bloody good and quiet for everything else…

Coleman
    Free Member

Why the hell would you want do standing sprints on a turbo anyway?

cheers_drive

I soon sat down after trying a standing Sufferfest sprint on mine.

mogrim

Why the hell would you want do standing sprints on a turbo anyway?

Why wouldn’t you? Not just standing sprints, either – any standing up stuff. Besides, as cheers_drive has pointed out, there are some in the Sufferfest videos (or at least there’s one in the Downward Spiral, can’t speak for the rest…)

cheers_drive

Fight Club for me, it doesn’t say standing but a 10/10 effort requires it. It’s impossible to do without adopting an unnatural rearwards position else the roller is unweighted.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Elite Turbo Trainers…. is yours flexy?’ is closed to new replies.