• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Electronic keyboard/piano…buying advice needed.
  • rockhopper70

12yo daughter has taken up piano lessons at secondary school and it is required that they practice in their own time. Now that the fantasy of father christmas is no longer in her mind, we can just ask her what she wants for christmas. Keyboard was mentioned but I have no idea where to start. Basic research suggests that the problems with electronic keyboards is they aren’t touch sensitive, as in you kind play soft or loud notes as a result of varying key strike force???
    Any guidance please…we are a completely non-musical family!

mattstreet

Good stuff – learning a musical instrument is a great thing to do!

Most electronic keyboards these days are touch sensitive – it’s only on cheap ‘toy’ ones that you might not get it. Assuming you are getting full-size keys, the difference is in the weighting of the keys. Electric pianos will have a heavier action than keyboards, to mimic the kind of action on an acoustic piano. Keyboards are great for messing around, but if you want to progress on piano it’s worth getting something with a proper action to build strength in the fingers.

Unless you go for a decent piano, you might not a full 88-keys too, but the smaller ones can be more portable for taking to school concerts and such like.

Go to your local music shop and have a look what you can get for your money. 🙂

simon_g

My mum has a Yamaha Clavinova which feels (to my not trained for 20 years fingers) incredibly similar to a conventional piano. No frills but a very nice piano sound. Pricey though – £1500+ (although not bad value compared to an acoustic piano). Built to last too.

I’ve heard good things about the Casio CDPs (CDP-120 is current at £329ish, older models available for a bit less), proper full-size 88 keys with weighted hammer action, etc. It seems to be as cheap as decent electric pianos get.

rockhopper70

..oh…I was hoping to spend around £100?????

BlobOnAStick

What he said^

You had better set a budget, and look around second hand. Bizarrely (to my mind) you can often pick up acoustic piano’s dirt cheap or free (look on freecycle) but you had better have the space and the budget to tune it. Let alone a rugby team and trailer to move it.

I got an electric piano which is great for practicing silently with headphones on, but the technology to make it sound and feel like a proper one is not cheap!

A keyboard might see her ok, but by the time she starts taking exams she’ll need experience on something that gives more feel.

BlobOnAStick

Sorry, like bikes you get what you pay for. Mine was 750, but the ‘entry level’ (to use an undefineable phrase) would be about 550 I would think.

But that is for something that plays and sounds like a piano but isn’t.

sunnrider
    Free Member

If you don´t mind using a computer and speakers/headphones, why not just buy a midi controller keyboard. Cheaper than pianos.

Akai do some nice semi weighted ones, as do Novation.
    There´s lots of free software pianos to make them sound good.

BlobOnAStick

Yeah, actually I’ve had a play on the Casio ones and they’re great value for what you get. Dunno about midi controllers, I’ve had a nightmare getting my keyboard to link into my pc and it is supposed to work, but I’m 100quid down and it still doesn’t 🙁

hitman
    Free Member

Yamaha Clavinova – there are different models of these so you don’t have to pay £1500+.
    When I looked into getting one a few years ago, you had to pay £600 ish for a decent model but they were significantly cheaper on line.
    This was the cheapest site when I looked into getting one:
    http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productsyamaha_digital_pianos-601.html
    Not sure where you are based but if you’re in London , pay a visit to Chappell of Bond St in London – amazing place, the acoustic piano showroom upstairs is amazing 🙂

leffeboy

I have a friend who went down the same line as you. Started with a cheap electronic keyboard for the first 3 years (I think) and then upgraded to one of th Clavinovas when it became clear his daughter was serious about wanting to learn.

Advice here so far is good. Casio CDPs are nice but you’ll need to go second hand as 100 GBP is a little low. What hasn’t been mentioned is the number of keys 61, 76 or 88. The cheaper keyboards will come with 61 but I would advise going for at least 76 as within 2or 3 years your daughter will probably be beyond the 61, even if just for exercises

flipiddy
    Free Member

Rockhopper – where are you? Think my mum has a clavinova she might be looking to sell in the north Hampshire area. Can’t remember which model, I think it’s the clp123 or 260. Don’t think she’d be willing to let it go for £100, but it would probably be cheaper than eBay (300+)

Mail me if you want info/pics and I will ask her for shots. If anyone else is interested you are also welcome to get in touch.

Cheers

rockhopper70

sorry flipiddy…didn’t pick this up but I am in west yorks. getting nearer the deadline now so still wondering.
    I am just a bit mindful that this could be a passing fad and in six months we might be stuck with a £100 keyboard gathering dust.

CHB

Definately get a clavinova if you can, miles better than the others if she is learning to play as an instrument, rather than composition.
    If you get a second hand basic one then you will still get most of your dosh back in 2 years time if she upgrades or gets bored.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Electronic keyboard/piano…buying advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.