Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Electrical help! Cable detectors??
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I need to fix a bracket to a wall. I don’t have much leeway, if any at all, and I know there’s a cable under it, or very close. How good/accurate are those cable sensor/detectors you can get?

Thanks in advance
    🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just use a rubber drill bit to make the holes, and you’ll be safe.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

HA BLEEDIN HAA! 😉

Stuff it. Just dug me a hole in the wall and had a root round. I’m OK to drill*

*If I don’t report back in an hour or so, I was wrong and I’m dead.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Still alive. Cupboard fitted. False alarm!

chickenman

You’ve done the right thing: cable detectors give false positives left, right and centre; just dig carefully into the plaster with a screwdriver or something else not too sharp!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Mine has an adjustable sensitivity on it, was just a basic screwfix one.

project
    Free Member

Lady i worked for once, she asked if i had a cable detector i said yes of course.

She said when she got married they got given a metal shield with two swords across it,with their name on it the new husband was also the proud owner of a new dril, so he decided to put the shield up.

Drilled the hole underneath a wall light that was switched off, he stepped back to look at his handy work, and noticed the shield was leaning so touched the shield , just as his wife switched on the light, he got an electric shock, he had drilled the cable.

He is now a Health and safety officer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Electrical help! Cable detectors??’ is closed to new replies.