Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Electric guitar for a big 8 year old
  • Murray

My daughter’s learning guitar at the moment and doing quite well. She’d like to add an electric guitar to her collection (n+1). Her guitar teacher thinks its OK – she intends to continue with her classical lessons.

She’s big for her age – 137 cm tall.

She currently plays a half size classical guitar.

Any suggestions for an electric guitar? Should we go for a 3/4 size or could she cope with a full size?

BoardinBob

Having just bought one I can highly recommend either a Fender Duo-Sonic or Mustang. Smaller body than a strat/tele/LP and a short scale 24″ neck so good for smaller hands. I actually have big palms but short (relatively speaking) fingers so I love the short scale

http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/duo-sonic-mustang

Squier model’s also available if the Fenders are bit too pricey

https://www.musiccentre.co.uk/product/squier-vintage-modified-mustang-sonic-blue

nuke

I reckon she’d be alright on a full size. Our daughter got her first electric after a year of lessons with acoustic at 10 (she was probably around the height of your daughter at the time). She spoke with her guitar tutor who suggested the Yamaha Pacifica and then went off to Andertons to give it a try…she tried some 3/4 size guitars but they seemed quite small and she was perfectly happy on the full size. We ended up with the Pacifica 112J with a awesome little Marshall MG10CF amp

Murray

Thanks Nuke – Pacifica sounds like a good call. Did you go for the 012 or the 112?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Probably ok on a full size, width wise sounds like she’ll be ok as the half classical will still be quite wide in comparison, so you’re just looking at possibly the scale length being a bit of a struggle. I’d guess fine though. though bobs suggestion of 24 could work well.

finishthat
    Free Member

112 is nicer – prices vary a fair bit if you can get a 112V for nearly the same as a 112J then get the V cos its nicer still and may only be £10 more from some suppliers.

Murray

This is just like bikes- I’m slowly ratcheting up how much I’m going to spend!

jimster01

This is just like bikes- I’m slowly ratcheting up how much I’m going to spend!!

Don’t forget the amp

giantalkali
    Free Member

CAnt link to the video on My phone, but andertons (via rob Chapman YouTube channel) did a review of the new mini Ibanez, where they raved over them, seem well Specced and generally awesome for around £160

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimster01 – Member
    Don’t forget the amp

And the pedals, and the DAW, and the audio interface, and a usable computer, audio monitors, good headphones, midi controllers etc etc etc. 😆

rOcKeTdOg

CAnt link to the video on My phone, but andertons (via rob Chapman YouTube channel) did a review of the new mini Ibanez, where they raved over them, seem well Specced and generally awesome for around £160

[video]https://youtu.be/DETAPMJC21I[/video]

Murray

Thanks Rocketdog

Murray

Emily’s guitar teacher (the marevelous Mr Fentiman) has texted to suggest a 3/4 size, so the Ibanez looks good.

kayak23

Electric guitar for a big 8 year old

Like this?

Murray

No, hair’s too neat, no mud or scabs on the legs either 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

Rob and the Captain are rarely less than enthusiastic about guitars, they’re taken from stock and they really don’t want to be stuck with something they’ve slagged off.

That doesn’t mean their reviews aren’t useful but they do make light of some of the failings of some guitars – note I haven’t said cheaper guitars. I’m quite familiar with Teles and Strats and in a blind test I’m absolutely certain I’d be pointing out big differences that they gloss over that are sometimes very much in favour of the cheaper guitar:

I’ve got two Squier 50s Classic vibe necks from 2012 with close serial numbers. They are quite the most comfortable gloss finished necks I’ve ever put my hand around. Running a hand down, the frets are perfectly finished and the edge of the neck is nicely rounded off so it doesn’t dig into your thumb, the frets are high enough without being so high they cause intonation issues if you press too hard on the first frets. Nut adjustment is perfect out of the box.

None of the American Teles I’ve played have had such well finished frets and the frets on the American Special in particular are high enough to make chords in the first three frets sound sharp if you press too hard.

Anyhow, back to the OP’s question. I’ve played a Squier 3/4 Strat and it felt very good, better than the American Special. I didn’t plug it in so no comment on the pickups. If you go full size a Squier Classic Vibe Tele or Strat will hold its value better than the Yamaha Pacifica which would be my second choice, or fist choice if you buy second-hand.

Trekster

Looking to get one for grandsons Xmas and visited local shop today, the Ibanez and Pacifica were both recommended. Asking one of the young lads if they played and which would he choose for an 11yr old he replied that he started on the Pacifica but then moved on to an Ibanez which he preferred(a Squier was also mentioned)
    http://www.johndouglasmusic.com/store/category/3_guitars/4_electric-guitars/?page=2&sort=az&order=asc&perpage=30

giantalkali
    Free Member

Ed – can you bend three octaves on the second fret though?

Edukator
    Free Member

No, do you know what an octave is?

Hoff

I have a pretty much brand new one of these for sale if you are interested?

Ibanez GSA60

Bought for my son but he only plays his acoustic

deejayen
    Free Member

I started playing uke when I was 4, and went straight to a full-sized classical guitar when I was 5. I suppose it depends on what sort of stuff your daughter is playing so maybe just go with what her teacher recommends. Coincidentally, my first electric guitar was an SG copy, albeit with a Bigsby. I’m trying to remember how old I was – maybe 6 or 7. Santa brought me an amp the following Christmas!

Northwind

There’s a 22 inch Epi Les Paul as well. It’s basically an Epi Les Paul Junior with all the negatives of that, definitely not their finest hour but then it’s £100, and it’s got The Look. Albeit a wee bit out of proportion.

(I’m really out of touch now but there’s a 22 inch ESP F! For if you suspect your 8 year old is the child of satan. That’s awesome…)

murf
    Free Member

I saw a child size Jackson Dinky in my local guitar shop. Had a wee look and the quality looks good, I had a full size Dinky and loved it.

Murray

Thanks all. Went for the 3/4 Strat in the end from a relatively local shop.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Well if Lisa X is anything to go by an Ibanez RG 550 should be just the job

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AEN-0rfhc[/video]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Electric guitar for a big 8 year old’ is closed to new replies.