Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Educate me please! Smart watch
  • crazyjenkins01

Hive mind,
    Considering getting a smart watch next month with “holiday overtime pay” (or money for old rope!) Dont yet know how much but…
    I’m tempted to treat myself to a smart watch as I dont yet possess one. Needs to work on Android.
    Either uses my phone I the backpack for strava uploads or strava independently on the phone for uploading (untethered it’s called apparently)
    Ideally dont want to spend a packet, but will consider any mentioned until I see what my extra £££s is! I’ve only ever heard of Samsung and Garmin smart watches so no idea where to start!
    Thank you people!

Cougar

I’ve had a Huawei for several years now and really like it. Went for it at the time because a) it was half the size of most others and I have limp girly wrists and b) it was priced at like 40% in a Black Friday Amazon sale.

Drac

Garmin Fanboi here.

New Garmin Venu looks very good but should be deals on vivoactive 3 and 4.

househusband

I’ve never been tempted before but STW’s review of the Amazfit T-Rex has got me curious… seemingly no UK stock or sellers as yet.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve had a Vivosport for a few months and have found it excellent, I’ll probably be selling this as I bought cheap Vivoactive music for the music functionality, I’m just hoping I don’t find it too bulky.

crazyjenkins01

@Drac, a mate has the Venu but is not exactly cheap!

@Cougar
    , I dont know why but I didn’t think of Huawei!
    The Vivosport4 looks ok, just wondering what else is about.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vivoactive 4s is smaller than the 4, but has exact same battery run time etc, I dunno why they think men want a bigger watch.

I have a 3, Mrs just got a 4s, been very impressed so far.

Drac

Yup it’s still expensive but it pops up on special deals.

Which is why I suggested the 3 and 4.

tthew

I’ve got, (found after loosing for a month! Hurrah!) a Lezyne one. Definately more of a bike computer on a strap than smart watch, but it does do calls and texts notifications which is useful because you don’t have to stop to dig your phone out of your bag when it rings. Quite like it, does basic navigation in conjunction with the phone app too.

lunge

Forerunner 35?

crazyjenkins01

So I read back my OP and even I cant work out what gumpf I wrote!
    That’ll teach me for rushing between errands!

So
    1. I think I’d like a smart watch
    2. It needs to be android
    3. Ideally I’d like to be able to receive calls, not just a notification of a call
    4. I’d like it to work with strava somehow
    5. I’d rather not need a remortgage to buy one!

There, that’s better!

malgrey
    Free Member

Happy with my Garmin Vivoactive 3. Does all I need (and more). If you want to actually use the watch to communicate back to messages or whatever though, its no Apple Watch. I mostly use it to vaguely track my activity, to know when I’ve got emails or messages, to get cricket updates, and even to tell the time.

Had a Fatbut (Fitbit) a few years back. Worked well, but didn’t last and FB were entirely unhelpful when it died, suggesting it was worn out. Found lots of similar experiences online. I expect a watch to last longer than 1 year.
    Had a very basic Huawei, was fine, worked, simple. Decent quality, no reason why the new smarter ones wouldn’t be the same.

I was very cynical about smart watches before I had one, but actually, it genuinely helped me lose quite a bit of weight (mostly by the fact I knew when I’d done bugger all for a day or two), but I do find the quick glance at the wrist allows me to ignore most messages until later, without having to get the phone out and check them.

crazyjenkins01

Just been reading up on the Ticwatch Pro. Seems to ‘tic’ (sorry!) all the boxes, anyone have input on that specific one?

winston
    Free Member

I had a Sony Smart watch 3 for a few years and it was fantastic  (music,strava, waterproof, android wear)but sony stopped supporting it and so it died as it couldn’t be upgraded to wear 2.0

This is the problem – the hardware is only as good as the software supporting it. I currently have a Vivioactive 3 from Garmin. Its pants compared to my smartwatch 3 – even the touchscreen isn’t as good despite being a much newer generation and it has 25% of the functionality but at least its supported by garmin and what it does it does fairly well.

You need to look at battery life as well – this is the biggy with smartwatches. Do you want to be charging every night/other night?   My vivo will last about 2- 3 days if I use it for rides and runs which is just about acceptable to me.

Check out DC Rainmaker for the definative smartwatch reviews

I hate to say it but IMO the only tech that Apple do well these days is the apple watch but I’m android through and through and have been stiffed twice before with apple so won’t be buying one even though they are really good.

dknwhy

I’ve had a Huawei watch 2 for about 18 months. I’m about to sell it as I’ve just bought a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro.

There’s nothing wrong with the Huawei – it has Strava, can run Viewranger maps, Google maps etc but it is limited by battery life (24—36 hours normal use, 6 hours on GPS). Phone calls work on it, as do replying to messages but the novelty quickly wears off.

I got the garmin because I want a watch that I actually can use for long activities. The battery life on the fenix is incredible – weeks without charge if required. At the moment, I’m doing a fair few activities and getting 7 days between charges. The garmin displays notifications which is enough for me – the option to discretely see who’s calling/messaging when I’m at work or out etc.

SammyC
    Free Member

Be careful with the Huawei ones, some of them don’t sync with Strava, only with the Huawei health app. The app doesn’t sync with Strava either.

Bought the Mrs a Huawei honour band 3 and cannot upload anything recorded on it to Strava

dknwhy

My Huawei has the Strava app. No issues with syncing.

You need one that runs android Wear 2.0.

kiwijohn

I just replaced my 7 year old Fenix with a Fenix 5X.
    It’s 2 generations old now, so it was on sale for 45% off.

PePPeR

Makibes BR1 as recommended on another thread here, about £35 from China arrived in a week and it’s really good.

I went from a pebble which was good but supports gone to an Ionic which I found really bad. So far I’m liking the BR1.

Samsung Galaxy watch for me. Seems to do everything it should and looks ok. But then I have a Samsung phone, so the app interface works as it should. Not sure how well it would work with others

czthompson

This thread would be better with photo’s..

flyingmonkeycorps

If you want to go cheap I have an Amazfit Bip (I think basically the non chunky version of the Amazfit on STW).

Had it for a year or so now and whilst it’s not fully smart it does everything I need (notifications, tells the time, battery lasts a month) and it only cost 40 quid. Doesn’t do Strava, though I think you can track on the inbuilt doofer and sync with Strava. I’ve never tried cos I always have my phone with me.

It’s more of a smartish or not-quite-dumb phone but I’ve not found it wanting.

Oh it has a HR monitor but I wouldn’t trust if for training.

mooman
    Free Member

Huawei band 4 pro

bit more of write up HERE TOO

As far as I know they are about to be released in UK anytime now, and cost around £80

I got a Garmin 735xt … it does all I want it to do; and looks a bit more masculine than the HUawei type ones.
    But I shall be ordering the Huawei for my wife; and expect it to be considerably better than my Garmin too.

v8ninety

Just been reading up on the Ticwatch Pro.

These look nice. Anyone got one?

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.

@dknwhy
    yes I’m sure the call function novelty will wear off, but although it won’t happen often it’s to stop me missing out on ‘call-outs’ to work while on the bike. It’s a pain having to stop, hunt out the phone and call back so I dont miss out on the £££s!

@SammyC
    I saw that, but as do says Wear 2 sorts that.

@kiwijohn
    @PePPer, I’ll look them up.
    I’d be happy with a Samsung watch of some description as I have an A70 but no strava from what I gather.
    At the moment I’m pretty sure I’m leaning towards the Ticwatch Pro, but some others there worth a look!

johnnystorm

Techradar’s favourite android watch, the Fossil Sport is 89 quid on Amazon at the mo. A complete bargain if that’s what you’re after.

olly2097
    Free Member

Ticwatch pro.

2 screens. Means can last up to 30 days.
    Android
    Nice bit of kit.
    Does strava etc.

Ticwatch Pro Smartwatch with Layered Display for Long Battery Life, Sleep Tracking, NFC, GPS, Heart Rate Monitor, Wear OS by Google, Sports Watch Compatible with Android and IOS, Leather Strap, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D564Y6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DqWiEb6XRFVBE

TiRed

Apple Nike Watch 3. I’m not a fanboi but it’s earned a place on my wrist for the past two years when I hadn’t worn a watch for ten. Features I like

Strava for commuting and walks including Heart rate and steps
    Links to maps for haptic navigation
    Apple Pay for work canteen
    Messages on tap on meetings without getting phone out
    Occasional use as phone
    Controls volume of earphones

Things I don’t like:
    Screen doesn’t always come on at twist of wrist
    Battery life is risible.
    Price of extra sport strap was robbery!

So if you are looking for a smart watch of any brand, those are the things I’d looks for. I’ll replace it with Watch 7 when they improve battery life.

Cougar

That’s a point re: OS.

A lot of smart watches now are coming with something other than Android Wear, “Tizen” or something similar, I’d gave to google it. Last I looked they were a good way behind AW in terms of things like app compatibility.

crazyjenkins01

Had to go to carphonewarehouse earlier, and the Samsung man was in! Really helpful and about 30mins later after loads on Q&A I might now be looking at the Galaxy Active Watch 2. Calls-check, Strava-check (he installed it there and then) android-check and I have a Samsung phone. Still considering the Ticwatch though, £45 saving…

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I have a Samsung galaxy watch 46mm.
    Excellent bit of kit, syncs with all apps no problem.
    There’s thousands of watch faces to choose from on the facer app.

Battery last around 3 days but I could squeeze more from it I think.

Bought it from a seller on eBay who had quite a few for sale for £145 just before Christmas.

If I knew how to add images I’d post up a few pictures.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Like most things everyone has a system they’re used to.
    I have a Garmin Vivoavctive HR and it’s OK.
    Not perfect by any means and newer ones probably address a lot of the issues.
    If I bought another now it would be another Garmin.
    That said I thought I’d give the Samsung Galaxy Active a try and while it does everything a smart watch should, my some brain can’t get used to the difference between the eco-systems.
    So in a not very stealthy as, if anyone wants a cheap route into Samsung smart watches.
    I have one I’ve worn 2 or 3 times. Still with box etc you can have for £50 & postage.
    I really want a blingy new Garmin Fenix but the prices are insane!

mogrim

Another Garmin fanboy here, I’ve got a Fenix 5. It’s great for notifications, sport and battery life, but limited when it comes to “smart watch” funcionality – if you want to control your phone from your wrist get something else.

yes I’m sure the call function novelty will wear off, but although it won’t happen often it’s to stop me missing out on ‘call-outs’ to work while on the bike.

Garmin of course needs you to have your phone with you (in Bluetooth range, so ~10m or so) for the notifications. If you’re out on your bike the notification would tell you who’s calling, which would at least be enough to know if it’s worth stopping and digging out your phone or not.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, as Mogrim says if you want a sports watch, get a garmin, if you want a smart watch then there’s loads of options.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m tempted to treat myself to a smart watch as I dont yet possess one.

I don’t really see the point of the things except as a GPS unit for running. I also suspect that people buy these all-singing, all-dancing technological wonders and use them mostly to tell the time.

That said, I liked the Suunto one that told me there was as sudden drop in air pressure and it was about to start bucketing down, which it did about ten minutes later. Stuff like mapping on watches is, ime, utterly useless.

Ultimately they just seem like a way of allowing technology and social media to more thoroughly permeate every second of your day. It really baffles me.

hols2
    Free Member

malgrey perfectly described my experience with the Vivoactive 3. If you just want to upload to Strava and see notifications about messages, it works fine and has excellent battery life. If you actually want smart watch features, I don’t find that side of things any use at all.

Cougar

I don’t really see the point of the things

Do you wear a watch? What’s the point when you’ve got a phone in your pocket with a clock on the lock screen? Oh, that’s right, it’s to save you the faff of fishing your phone out when you just want to know the time. The same is true of a smart watch only for other phone functions. Eg, someone sends me a text, I can read it with a quick glance at my wrist. The phone rings, I get a subtle vibration on my wrist rather than an obnoxious loud ringtone and I can check to see if it’s something I want to bother answering. Etc, etc.

Stuff like mapping on watches is, ime, utterly useless.

Google Maps can send to a watch. If you’re walking in an unfamiliar town you can set a route, then it’ll give you alerts when you need to turn left or whatever rather than having to navigate through busy crowds fixated on a phone screen rather than looking where you’re going. It’s great.

Ultimately they just seem like a way of allowing technology and social media to more thoroughly permeate every second of your day. It really baffles me.

… OK boomer?

fossy

Wife has the Samsung Galaxy, and it looks just like a normal watch, except a bit chunky. Does everything, even makes phone calls. She had a Garmin previously but the screen failed outside of warranty. She really likes the Samsung as it actually looks nice (rose gold), and syncs with her Samsung phone.

crazyjenkins01

Loads of input thanks guys.
    To be honest, I dont really think I can get what I’m after, so I’m compromising (read, spending more money on something more flash than I want!)
    The only bits I’m really after are strava, so my phone can be in the bag and therefore safer when I crash! and being able to answer phone calls without digging in my bag to find the phone. The rest is ‘nice to haves’. So far I’ve only really found the Galaxy Watch Active 2, Huawei Watch 2 and TicWatch Pro which gives me those 2 things, but obviously at the premium of price!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

People who wear smart watches probably used to have one of these at school 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Educate me please! Smart watch’ is closed to new replies.