Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Edinburgh bike shop recommendation – hope Pro 4 freehub emergency
  • big_scot_nanny

Evening campers,

I know there’s a few Edinburgh folks on here, maybe even some that work in the trade?

Urgently need freehub bearings replaced, or whole freehub replaced, on a hope pro 4 rear hub.

Would be great if anyone can at least recommend somewhere that may be capable of this. I’ll do some phoning round in the morning.

I’m up in Embra on holibobs with family, did Dunoon on Christmas Eve with my son (awesome! Bloody hard!), glentress yesterday with more family for a cracking day – there were already some ‘odd’ noises occasionally from the hub. Today we went for a brutal push round the pentlands, and at the furthest point of the ride, just as we finally turned away from the wind, the freehub shat itself. Arses.

Investigation tonight shows that one freehub bearing completely ate itself, hopefully not damaging the axle/ hub. I have all the bits and tools to replace/fix, but at home. Bollocks.

Heading down to Yorkshire on New Year’s Eve for more riding, kinda need this fixed tomorrow.

Help and guidance gratefully received.

13thfloormonk

First thoughts are Pedals Bike Care in Bruntsfield, think they’re pretty on it with that sort of stuff.

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op might be able to help depending on their diary and which staff are in (I used to work there, we put up with so much grief because we had such a full workshop diary, we literally couldn’t fit any more mechanics in, not sure why people thought we were happily turning away trade!)

Elevation in Linlithgow seem good, only used them a couple of times and it’s a bit out of your way if heading south from Edinburgh, but worth trying. He tapped a crown race onto a new carbon fork (bought online) for me and was too embarrassed to charge me as it was such a quick job, so I’m determined to shop there more often!

Edit: Edinburgh Bicycle are the only ones open tomorrow by the looks of it. Go in, be chilled, explain the situation and cross your fingers they have the right bearings in stock and space in their diary! Good luck.

Tracey

Alpine Bikes may be able to sort you out

big_scot_nanny

@13thfloormonk – which coop? There seem to be a few… does it matter?

imnotverygood

Bruntsfield

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

The Bicycle Works in Marchmont. 0131 228 8820

They’d be my first port of call. Very flexible and accommodating.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Not exactly just down the road, but if you’re truly stuck Steve/Rach at iCycles in Innerleithen have pulled me out the skittery stuff repeatedly when I’ve bust something random during many uplift days.

They’d almost certainly be able to help if you were able and up for a 40 mile round road trip.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bicycle works used to be good for this sort of thing (15 years since I worked there), worth trying either co op branch also but do your phoning first.

13thfloormonk

Big-Scot, would try Bruntsfield branch first, it’s bigger so theoretically better chance they’ll have the bearings etc.

Unfortunately I don’t remember a huge stock of Hope spares but worth a call at least!

tomcrow99

Try Hart’s cyclery in Corstophine if you are in the west side of Edinburgh. Not sure if he’s open this week though.

steveh

Another vote for icycles despite the drive. They’ve got me out of trouble a number of times and have hope bits in stock.

jimmy

Bike Trax of they’re open might be worth an ask

jimmy

Do you know which bearing size you need? I have a few spare – a 6903, and whatever size for Pro2 front. Doubt much good, but available in Roslin if needed.

big_scot_nanny

Hi folks, marvellous input from you all. Thank you.

Went down the list of recommendations this morning, phoning round. Many not open (or not answering), but the chap at Bike Works (Dave? Already forgotten his name 🤦‍♂️) reckoned the work was no problem, dropped the wheel off this morning, looked a the offending article, hopefully will be done by later today.

@jimmy
    – actually in Roslin staying at the out-laws, so that’s very kind, thank you

Here’s a picture of the bastarding thing, new bearings only 2 months old! (And this is the third set this year)

kcal

Bicycle Works would have been my default recommendation too.
    Good news!

martinhutch

Here’s a picture of the bastarding thing, new bearings only 2 months old! (And this is the third set this year)

That’s pretty poor. Is there something wrong with the rest of the hub chewing them up so often? Or is that just standard for Hope?

13thfloormonk

That’s why I’m a fan of captive freehubs. My old Hope XCs occasionally made an odd noise and the freehub came away from the hub body far too easily, made me wonder how much flex or movement might be happening in that area.

I also wonder how hub bodies have been redesigned for 50 tooth rear cogs! Must be a hell of a lot more torque going through that general area? (my understanding of torque is embarassingly feeble for someone with an engineering degree…).

jimmy

@big_scot_nanny – have you ridden the local trails? Roslin / Bilston?

pigyn
    Free Member

Sorry if you tried to phone us at pedals and couldn’t get through, we are closed right through the holiday period while I heal my ACL repair. Bike works will see you right though!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Hopes freehub sealing isn’t the best but something else has got to be amiss/out of alignment/loose/on the wonk for you to obliterate bearings in 2months that ain’t right.

Mine are on their second Scottish winter, I trashed some pawls by not keeping on top of maintenance..bearings are ok, tiny bit of play, and maybe a touch gauchy.

big_scot_nanny

@pigyn – no worries, thanks for checking in

Dave at bicycle works sorted me out in double quick time, bearings replaced, plenty of explanation and discussion about what to do next. Cheers Dave, hope the biscuits go well with a mug of tea 🙂

@dumbbot
    – yeah, its a little concerning. Makes me wonder if going for a different hub may be a good idea, but that’s for another thread

@jimmy
    – sending you a PM

dumbbot
    Free Member

I’d be more inclined to get to the root cause of the issue rather than throw more money at it, and possibly just transfer the problem. Again to me it doesn’t look like water ingress that’s caused the issue it looks like there’s uneven load to smash them to bits like that, could the chap at the bike shop not shine any light on it?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh bike shop recommendation – hope Pro 4 freehub emergency’ is closed to new replies.