Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ebay steerer 'damage'- do you think this is safe?!!!
  • hora
    Free Member

I personally don't think its safe to call it minor wear. Granted its the top cup however you could still potentially end up with the bars/stem in your hand and not attached to the bike?!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260579632414&_trksid=p2759.l1259#ht_1148wt_989

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one can "know" from a picture, Not sure I'd ride it!

wwaswas

It's a pretty long steerer – if I was going to trim for my frames I'd be looking to find out how high up the tube it is and seeing where it came out on my bike?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's plenty of forks around in better nick. I'd give it a miss, presonally.

dripoid
    Free Member

looking at the pics and the visible groove on the steerer i would stop clear of these forks.just bear in mind that most of the impacts, loads(steering and front braking forces) upon a mountain bike mainly occur in this area, i wouldn't take a chance

DT78
    Free Member

I have snapped a steerer whilst riding and nearly impaled myself on the spike of aluminium that was left. Luckily I was going fast enough that I flew right over the top and managed to walk away from it.

You might not be so lucky.

Should be advertised spares or repair imo

EDIT – axle looks rounded (or close to it) thats another £25 it'll need sooner or later

ken_shields
    Free Member

looking at the pics the damage has been caused by a seized top crown race so the material is lost at the part of the steerer that takes the most load. Unless you can get them at a significantly reduced price to make it worth fixing them I would steer well clear

davcow
    Free Member

I would most definitely avoid those forks like the plague.

Looks like they have been sat wet for a while due to the rust on the lower leg bolt.

Not to mention the steerer damage. 😯

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Can't say for sure from a picture but its a bad place for that kind of damage, friend of mine bought a fork with similar 'cosmetic' damage and it snapped under load after a bad landing, the fork sheared right along the previously damaged point.

stumpyjon

They've definitely seen better days and if they haven't been ridden since 2008 they're going to need a full service so budget £ 100 for MOJO or TFTuned to look at them (TALAS are a pain to service yourself properly). Plus if the steerer needs replacing you'll be getting close to the price of a new set of forks.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'd avoid, if the original owner has let them get to that state then I'd wonder what other horrors lurk under the surface.

hora
    Free Member

Ad amended. Cool.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

if they haven't been ridden since 2008 they're going to need a full service

How does that work then? If you dont ride forks they need serviced, but if you do they dont? Strange comment! 😀

From the pics the owner looks pretty ham fisted and poor at maintenance…thats to be avoided with foxs.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

'Sold as Seen' means 'keep the F*kc away' in my book.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ebay steerer 'damage'- do you think this is safe?!!!’ is closed to new replies.