Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)
  • eBay sellers – have you ever backed out of a sale?
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

People like you are spoiling EBay but you would not like someone doing that to you, If you wanted more money why did you not out reserve or start at higher price. Just embarrassing.

U31
    Free Member

Who ever said there is a legal obligation to sell is wrong.
    There is however a legal obligation to buy if you bid and win.
    Bitter experience on the former. sold a set of wheels for very good money, £30 or so more then i expected, but the buyer was an utter cock, foreign when i dont post to foreign countries for a kick off, he got round this with a uk based log in. However, I tried my best and even got a quote for post to his location, the price of which he agreed on, and then his demands went from the ridiculous to the sublime.
    In the end i took legal advice from ebay who said the above, so i just refused to sell to the winner and did the thing where you sell to the next bidder for a few quid less.
    Take the neg and move on.

psychle
    Free Member

You know what, it is embarrassing, and I'm not actually happy about it, it's not like I set up to **** this up and mess the guy around! In all honesty though, if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd understand if the seller came back to me and said, you know what, I **** up, so unfortunately I'm not going to honour the sale… I wouldn't chuck a fookin tanty about it, I wouldn't curse the seller and besmirch his honour (as the retrobike boys seem to be doing to me!), I'd actually understand the chaps point… I honestly think I would…

I'll take the neg, but it doesn't mean I'm a cock or a bad person FFS! I've bought and sold tonnes of stuff on this site, never a problem. Sold a fair bit on eBay as well, this is the first time I've not done it right…

vinnyeh

well, to be fair, you were told to use a high start price, or a reserve. What's the point in offering it up for sale at a price you have no intention of honouring?

psychle
    Free Member

Yes, I should've put a reserve on there, or a starting price, but I mucked up the auction setup and by the time I realised (only a few minutes after starting it in fact!), there'd already been one bid, so I couldn't edit it. So I thought (perhaps mistakenly) I'd let it run and see what happened, I should've pulled the auction before the end I guess, then there wouldn't have been this bloody problem!

tiger_roach
    Free Member

U31 – I think you had good reason to pull out; I suspect Ebay might not support psychle (tensim?) in the same way.

aracer
    Free Member

Can you remind us again how little you paid for the Bow-Ti you got these with?

Maybe you should have sold them on German ebay if that's where such things go for silly money – otherwise why exactly do you think £200 is a more realistic price than £90 for something which cost £170 over 10 years ago when it was state of the art?

MabolsaRichie
    Free Member

You should always honour the deal, some you win, some you lose, but on ebay with 100% feedback a starting price of £0.01 and free postage you can't go wrong. If you were concerned about how much you would get for your item you could have clicked the completed listngs button and seen exactly what the same or similar items have been sellihg for and made the appropiate constraints in your listing ie reserve or starting price but I suppose you you were trying to sell it as cheaply as possible and it's come unstuck for you?

timdrayton
    Free Member

Hmmmm dodgy moral ground here.

Up to you spose it depends on wether you can afford to lose the £50?

Are the retrobike lot kicking off then?

Link pls they can weirdos!

I once ran an ad on here and on retrobike, someone lost out on a stem and the vitriol ran to 3 pages…..

user-removed
    Free Member

I always go on the basis that things find their true, real-time value on ebay. I'm guessing on the basis of previous comments that the item in question is the set of (hideous IMHO 🙂 ) stars 'n' stripes shifters you were asking about a week or so ago – apologies if not – can't be @rsed stalking your profile….

If they've had plenty exposure time-wise and geographically, then the finishing price is fair and you're just going to have to sell them – it's just what they're worth.

dgudge
    Free Member

Well, I'm the "lucky" winer… I guess… here's a screenshot to prove it:

I was watching this patiently for a few days because I needed some WRITTEN proof that you're not going to fulfill the transaction… Thank you for starting this discussion! It will be mine main document when I take you to court. +eBay
    Well, I guess I also tought you'll do the right thing at the end, but now we all know what's your intention. And don't say you're not "… a cock or a bad person" because YOU ARE! I tried to get in touch with you through eBay for, what, 5 days? without answer! NOT even one mail! Instead, you're asking this forum "What're the repercussions if I just tell the buyer that it's no longer for sale"?
    And don't spit on good people at retrobike – YOU started the thread there about your Betsy to gain more biders, but it turned out you're just a scammer – what are you expecting them to do? Here's a link to retrobike….
    I hope you're realize it's more then Betsy now, more then £90, or £150 or 200+ or whatever… it's matter of right and wrong, RESPECT.
    Well, if you got something more to say, you know my mail. Otherwise…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

amazing 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

do you think the seller of these that you paid less than 50% of retail was pissed off at the selling price? 😮

aldo
    Free Member

unfortunately I'm not going to honour the sale… I wouldn't chuck a fookin tanty about it, I wouldn't curse the seller and besmirch his honour (as the retrobike boys seem to be doing to me!), I'd actually understand the chaps point… I honestly think I would…

wishful thinking me thinks

I'll take the neg, but it doesn't mean I'm a cock or a bad person FFS!

Disagree. Your hiding behind your pc scamming somebody. MTFU and honour your auction. Don't be a scumbag.

Actually I can't believe your asking publicly about this.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Take it on the chin. I sold a mobile phone for good money and had the buyer pull out. 2nd offer was quite a bit less so I delisted and got even less second time round! One of those things

konabunny
    Free Member

this thread: ouch!

those shifters/deralleurs: yuck!

At this point, I suspect the OP's best course of action would be to send the item toot sweet. I'm sure he was just dragging his feet a little because he was disappointed but would have posted it off eventually…right?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Good character ruined, still time to redress the balance and restore faith

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are older than 10 years old, you should be taught to be responsible for your own actions. If you are less than 10 years old, mummy and daddy need to suspend your Ebay account before you get into any more trouble.

The poster dgudge up there seems to have a good grip – I like him!

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Whats your ebay address so I cna make sure to avoid you as I said people like you are spoiling Ebay. I suppose time to look for another forum how can anybody take you serious or even trust you again.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

By listing something with a 99p start and no reserve, surely you are saying you'd let the item go for 99p (although you hope it wouldn't)

just send it

tails
    Free Member

I'm going to back up psychle here, as I remember his post asking about how to do a reserve and sell internationally but it appears to have gone wrong. I really don't believe he is a serial scammer just a bit hacked off his item went so cheaply. Although according to that retrobike thread £90 is fair but I know nothing about old kit.

Saying that you really should honour the sale and considering the amount of posh bikes (Indy Fab, Cervello, That orange with hammerscmidt, spesh . . . ) you post is £100 that much to you? Anyway i very much doubt the sale will go through now especially as the buyer has come on here called him a cock and threatened court lets be fair COURT for a £90 pair of shifters hahahaha!!!

Personally I'd still buy of psychle but I imagine a large number of forum users won't.

bruneep

As has been said previously, do the right thing and send the items to the "winner".

You have made a serious error even starting this thread. A lesson learnt methinks.

I think I'll add you to my not to buy from list on here and ebay.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn't there a term for when something like this happens?

Owned or pwnd or something…

I've had a few auctions go wrong on eBay – didn't set the right finish time, didn't do a good description and got lower than I expected. Bit pissed off, but I sent the items as promised and wished the buyer well wear. You win some, you lose some. At the same time, I've had bargains too. I haven't bought off there in years because of the likes of some of the behaviour mentioned here.

Time to man up and rescue your reputation.

smell_it
    Free Member

There seems to be a theme with the OP not getting a price he thinks is correct for goods he wants to sell, a speccy frame and fork and a ticket to one of the bike events. But to stiff someone, when you are happy to take the luck of the ebay 'draw' yourself, is pretty poor. I doubt what I or anyone else on here will think of him will make much difference to how he trades as some people would rather have a £100 than folks respect.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I would have to agree with you on that smell_it all over £100, I personally would rather my respect.

spooky_b329

When I started reading this thread I was wondering (hoping) the buyer would pop up!

Its not rocket science, if you don't want to set a reserve, you start the item at a price you are happy to sell.

Its bad form, I know that a 99p start price will normally shoot up to its true value, but I like to play it safe and normally list at the price I will sell.

Dgudge, if the sale doesn't go through, just leave a simple URL to this thread as your negative feedback 🙂

Edit: Apparently you can't leave a URL, see here http://www.vbay.me/index.php?/topic/19-leaving-ebay-negative-extended-feedback/

T666DOM

Don't be such a disgrace and send the item, with ebay you've got to take the rough with the smooth, if you get a good price, good, if not then tough. Next time set a reserve, you've only got yourself to blame. MTFU

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think the term for this is – BUSTED ……..

Jamie
    Free Member

I cannot believe the OP started a thread on this. If he knew he was going to be a douche nozzle, then he should have just got on with rather than try and seek justification on here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

All in all, it's just not going well for the OP is it…

Jamie
    Free Member

All in all, it's just not going well for the OP is it…

I am sure they don't mind. The OP has previous for being the sort of person that can make eBay a hassle. I am sure this will not be the last time….

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-question-am-i-about-to-be-a-kn0b

tails
    Free Member

Christ I forgot about that jamie, psychle despite defending you above sort your act out.

Your costing people both money and time with your actions. Do you think the guy selling the phil woods wants the cost of re listing them, or the guy who won your shifters to spend time finding another set.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Christ I forgot about that jamie

Yep, me too…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If you can't afford to gamble don't, same for anything that you could potentially lose a few quid on
    Not exactly a fortune is it and daresay you have had a few bargains over the years, swings and roundabouts

Not impressed at all and you will be going on my banned list for ebay

In fact being a very longstanding member of Retrobike, I shall be asking you get added to the bad ebay trader list that is there for this very purpose

T666DOM

Ditto

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmm, Psychle can possibly turn this around, but he's taken some heavy fire over this one.

Of course the decent thing to do is to honour the agreement, send the shifters, apologise. And maybe rescue your reputation as much as you can. But everyone on here now knows you're someone who might not honour a sale, which isn't good if you want to trade stuff.

Good Karma would be if the buyer then sells the shifters on and makes £100 or so on the deal!

Lesson learned I think. Your move, Psychle.

Some days you're the pigeon, some you're the statue.

I think this sums it up beautifully.

Dickyboy

live by the sword & die by the sword 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Those that live in glass houses should not back out of eBay sales.

user-removed
    Free Member

Lol @ this thread – you've been proppa sprung matey 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

It looks from the buyer's screenshot as though he hasn't paid. Is that because he was waiting for a postage quote?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘eBay sellers – have you ever backed out of a sale?’ is closed to new replies.