• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cb.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ebay question – am I about to be a kn0b?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Bought some hubs off eBay on Sunday (I've been on the lookout for a rear Phil Woods 'Kiss Off' SS hub for ages), I only found the auction in the last 1hr or so before it was finishing so didn't do much research/thinking before jumping in and eventually 'winning' the auction for an OK price (£200 odd inc postage.) Trouble is, both hubs are 36H (clearly stated in auction) which I've now discovered limits my rim options quite considerably! So I'm having second thoughts…

Now, in the auction, the hubs are advertised as being Phil Woods 'Kiss Off' models, which to my understanding would mean the rear should be SS specific, correct? Clearly, this hub is not SS specific, so it's not a 'Keep It Single Speed Offroad' hub is it?

So… would this be sufficient grounds to advise that I no longer want to go ahead with the sale, ie. due to goods not being as described?

cheers

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The fact the pics don't match the description of the KISS r hub is a seperate issue to your mistake in not picking up they were 36h.

I'd just be honest and say you missed that they were 36h and don't want them.

The excuse you're trying to plam this guy off with is pretty lame too. You could easily have messaged him to find out what the r hub was – the one in the pics or the KISS hub mentioned in the description.

the-muffin-man

If you've not paid and really can't use them then you're going to have to pull-out and take negative feedback IMO (or hope he understands).

Even though they're described as Kiss Off it only takes a few mins on google to see that they aren't (and the great big freehub body is a bit of a visual clue!!).

ski
    Free Member

Another opotion, would be to follow through with the sale and then sell them on again on Ebay.

You never know you might make a profit.

😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If the seller has posted that pic of the rear hub, which is obviously not an SS hub, then as far as I can see it you've won, they're yours, and you didn't look at the information closely enough. As Ski says, you may be able to sell them on.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you wont make money selling them on. if you got whatever you have just paid, you will then pay around 30% in fees to paypal and ebay.

but in other news, yes you will be being a dick if you mug him over like that. either email him and both pull out if he agrees. or buy what you just bought.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I'd say you've got a case for refusing them because they were described as Kiss Off hubs and they patently aren't.

You've got no comeback on the 36h thing. Don't mention it at all otherwise the seller can claim you're just rejecting them because of that.

Just explain to the seller you came in late to the auction, saw them described as Kiss Off and didn't have time to do any investigation on Google. Frankly I don't think he'd have a leg to stand on if it came down to a dispute. Ebay won't look at the picture and go "that's obviously not a xxxxx", they'll look at the description. That pic may have been the 10th of 15 pics and you never noticed it.

You won't get negative feedback as sellers can't give that these days, though they can (and should) report non-payment as this is the only way they can get their eBay selling fees back (which could be a fair amount to him/her). You'll get a black mark against you (not literally) and some sellers can set up that they won't accept bids from non-payers.

Whether it's morally wrong is up to you.

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon you've both made an error so calling off the sale is reasonable
    he can try a 2nd chance offer & you can look elsewhere

cynic-al
    Free Member

30% fees dream on, way less.

OP if you came to me as aa seller with that line you would be quickly advised of where to go and how.

Garry_Lager

Can't see the need to make biscuit-ersed excuses about not paying. Just be honest and apologise to the guy. More than likely it will be no problem – it's a quality item that he can just sell to the next guy. If he's got a problem with it then he'll give you a neg (can sellers still give neg feedback?) – but so what?

tracknicko
    Free Member

oh yeh. 15%… my bad was adding something else in!

still. quite a bit on high value bits.

tinsy
    Free Member

Will it help if I mail him a link to this thread? 😉

midlifecrashes

You made the mistake, that pic is in the listing, couldn't be mistaken for a SS hub. All may not be lost though. If only there was some internet site where nichemongers congregate. You could then publicise the forthcoming listing for the resale at no cost to you, allowing you to profit (or at least break even) from your error. They do look mint though, surely you need to find some other bits to build a bike around them?

wwaswas

I think the 'misdescribed' agrument is fair.

I'd ask myself – 'If they were 32 hole but still not Kiss Off would I still buy them' – if the answer is you wouldn't buy them then it's fair to complain and not complete…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

OP if you came to me as aa seller with that line you would be quickly advised of where to go and how.

Quickly followed by an eBay dispute raised by the buyer I suspect….

vinnyeh

You knew what you were buying- you posted a thread on here asking about them, so while you could kick back on the sale, don't try and kid anybody that you were fooled. Take it on the chin and admit that it's your fault! 🙂

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

sellers can't leave neg feedback anyway, but you would be being an arse if you did him over.

I would pull out and offer to reimburse the cost of re-listing (a couple of quid?).

That's the good(and right) thing to do. Give yourself a karma boost.

tails
    Free Member

+1 vinnyeh you asked on here pal. Plus there must be loads of rims you can use.

psychle
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments guys, fairly obvious to all that in my heart I know that I am just making an excuse to back out of the sale due to them being 36H (I really want to use Stans rims for these, they don't do 36H for whatever reason! 🙁 ).

However, the description is incorrect, we'd all agree? So goods aren't as described… which is a 'valid' reason to back out of a sale? Even if it's not the honest reason (that's a moral issue for me to wrestle with!)

The cassette version of the hub is £100 odd dearer than the SS version, so pricewise I've probably done OK (£200 vs £365 new… certainly wouldn't have bid up to £200 for them if it was a Kiss Off rear (£200 vs £272 isn't quite so good!), so I did know it wasn't a correct description, I just didn't twig that 36H hubs would be such a pain!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

tails – Member
    +1 vinnyeh you asked on here pal. Plus there must be loads of rims you can use.

Plus in your thread you described the rear hub as a cassette hub. Plus I "found" you some 36h rims when you asked about them.

wwaswas

I did know it wasn't a correct description

MTFU and pay, then.

DezB
    Free Member

Psychle – I think you've made your mind up, but I say do whatever you want!
    If you don't want the hub(s), don't have em.
    If the seller doesn't have the 2nd chance offer option, then he won't pay any fees for an unsold item listing anyway.

Morally? It's entirely your choice.

psychle
    Free Member

Plus I "found" you some 36h rims when you asked about them.

None that suit what I'm after though, that I could see? Something like Flows or 819's is what I want… only available in 32H 🙁

duckman

Bearing in mind what type of site this is,I would not bet against the seller reading this thread!

tinsy
    Free Member

You really ought to consider a much bigger mortgage… 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Another opotion, would be to follow through with the sale and then sell them on again on Ebay.

You never know you might make a profit.

+1

cynic-al
    Free Member

However, the description is incorrect, we'd all agree?

It's at most inconsistent. The picture forms part of the description and you failed to read the written part fully.

MTFU and do a deal with the guy offering to the second highest bidder.

cb

Call him, bung him a tenner for his troubles and let him do the second chance thing

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ebay question – am I about to be a kn0b?’ is closed to new replies.