Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ebay – am I likely to be out of pocket here?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Sold an item on Ebay, offered several postage methods, including a tracked option. Buyer chose cheapest 2nd class

I was 2 days late posting so did 1st class out of decency.

Buyer claims not to have received the item, opened a dispute and escalated it to ebay.

I have proof of postage but obviously no tracking number, and cannot interact with the dispute as it’s being looked at by ebay.

The guy has already left negative feedback, so I’ve already lost out there..

Have had loads of problems with ebay over the last couple years, this will be the last straw if I loose out. They definetly won’t be seeing any seller fees from me!

tthew

Depends on the value. Standard first class insurance is £30.00 IIRC.

simon_g

Something lost on many sellers (ebay and elsewhere) is that it’s the seller’s responsibility to get the item to the buyer. Doesn’t matter if you offer a cheaper delivery option, if it doesn’t arrive it’s your problem.

Claim from Royal Mail if it’s not been delivered. If the amount doesn’t cover the item value then that was your mistake.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I wouldn’t post anything with choosing the ‘signature required’ option. You have proof of postage but have no proof of receipt so you’re screwed.

sandwicheater

^^^ This always.

Not a great deal of help. FYI, even by recorded post I’ve had items go missing for a month and then raise there heads.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So ebay have issued a refund from my paypal account and are telling me I need to pay the value of the item again for some reason. I’ve unlinked my paypal and will be cancelling ebay account just to be sure they don’t double charge me, don’t want to have to deal with their customer services again

Value is less than the £30, I thought it was the recipient who had to claim through royal mail, I’ll get on that then if I can claim.

FWIW judging by the guy’s messages he has received the item

Cheers!

ski
    Free Member

It has been known for some buyers to lie about receiving items that don’t need signing for 😉

Send him a empty letter without any postage on with a little note saying ‘expect more’

pebblebeach
    Free Member

If if that obvious then report to ebay. Oh hold on you cant, you’ve cancelled your account 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

To be honest if they don’t even allow you to show proof of postage or ask for some input before issuing a refund I doubt they’ll be interested in me claiming the guy has received the item..

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I’m intrigued now, they want double the sold value. wtf are we missing out on info wise here?

bruneep

Post up here then

chrishc777
    Free Member

No idea, refund has come out of my paypal account, but ebay account still says i have a balance to pay.

Cheers for the info, matey is now reimbursed whether he received it or not, and hopefully royal mail will straighten me out as well. Not as much a disaster as I thought

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m intrigued now, they want double the sold value. wtf are we missing out on info wise here?

Does seem like a half told story.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Then I shall leave the imaginary half to you: maybe I sent him an envelope full of poo and ebay rule 12.3 states in these cases a refund of the doormat it landed on is due.

Look that even rhymed!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

refund has come out of my paypal account, but ebay account still says i have a balance to pay.

I’ve noticed that myself if I’ve cancelled a sale. Its just the way ebay works so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’d still like to know what the buyer has said that makes you think he’s received the item.

mps711
    Free Member

In my ebay experience a buyer would usually message you to check on the delivery if the item hasn’t arrived in a reasonable time. The fact they have gone straight for the negative feedback and claiming non delivery with ebay and a refund from Paypal does give you the feeling that they saw the item had been sent by a non tracked service and knew they could pull a fast one.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Exactly, no basis to report someone, or name and shame but the feeling is there.

skids
    Free Member

you still have to pay your ebay fees

cheekyget
    Free Member

I fell for you chum
    Always , always send by signed delivery….too many scams out there now
    Royal Mail are pricey…but I’ve been using My Hermes for postage in my last couple of sales….much cheaper than Royal Mail
    unfortunly ebay always favours the buyer over the seller……

ALWAYS
    Use signed for delivery, keep your receipts for up to 6 months….as I had a claim back from a credit card though eBay …the buyer was making out he didn’t know anything about the transaction……
    But I kept my reciepts and still had all his emails……..DONT TRUST ANYONE!!

chrishc777
    Free Member

^^ Ridiculous what some people try to pull off!

Didn’t someone on here send out some forks and get them sent back with an blown damper fitted?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ebay – am I likely to be out of pocket here?’ is closed to new replies.