Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Easy jet,, dented frame , how much to claim?
  • Dickyboy

It's a ten year old well used frame, wouldn't even bother posting on here let alone claiming ffs

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dickyboy – I am surprised not more folk thought that. part of me agrees.

coogan
    Free Member

Woo hoo! Page two. Only eight more to go!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well make a contentious point I can argue with then coogan! Do you think dickyboy is right?

coogan
    Free Member

Completely. I thought it at the very start. Just didn't want to kill a potential classic TJ arguing thread. 8)

mefty
    Free Member

Isn't he DTJ now?

ziggy
    Free Member

I don't think he is right. Only time will tell if the frame is or isn't affected. So could be good for another 10 years, or fold in half in 2 weeks.

Ultimately you paid and trusted the airline to transport you bike safely and they failed to do so. It's a service you have paid for.

If you paid a courier to deliver it on your behalf you would expect them to pay up for the damage yes?

singlespeedstu

Post the photos of the dent up that might stretch the thread out a bit longer. 😉

Dickyboy

Make sure no one wants what you've got, insure to the minimum, excess to the maximum, lifes too short to fill out forms, now get out there & ride it tangerine horror till it breaks.

On the flip side if you feel you might start to shrink in the near future then the lack of seat post adjustment might impinge upon your future use of said tandem – then take Stellios to the cleaners

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

its a black frame with a small dent – the pics are hardly convincing

ojom
    Free Member

If you paid a courier to deliver it on your behalf you would expect them to pay up for the damage yes?

You would if you took out enhanced liability insurance… the standard fee for couriering a parcel only covers you for a small amount per kilo (fedex is the example i am using). To get more you need to add 'insurance'.

They agree to get a parcel to where you ask them. If you want it to be in one piece sadly you seem to have to spend more money.

It's kinda crap.

Dickyboy

all the best frames are black, have the shirt off his back

singlespeedstu

the pics are hardly convincing

All the more reason to post them up then. 😆

bland

Home insurance? Mine are covered for damage away from home etc.

Alternatively get over it, accept that its a cocacola can in disguise and you didnt pack it well enough, afterall it sounds like the hub has done the damage, technically not easy jet or the baggage handlers?

bruneep

easy jet paid up for a new case after mine arrived in tatters on the carousel. New case was more than the flight.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bland – I thought I had packed it well enough – in a bike bag, layer of card and layer of EPS all round, bubble wrap and EPS between the wheel and the frame and the wheel was not in contact with that part of the frame – the eps was destroyed and the wheel must have been flexed a fair amount.

Obviously it wans't well enough but I really tried

anyway = pics

singlespeedstu

Can you put an arrow next to the dent as i can't see it in that picture. 😆

coogan
    Free Member

That's it?!?! 😐

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – hence I am not sure how much its worth claiming. Clearly if a major tube had been flattened I would be going for the jugular but that amount of damage? What is a fair resolution?

druidh
    Free Member

1280×1024?

Dickyboy

zip zero sweet FA nil nothing bu**er all

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙄

mefty
    Free Member

I really can't see how you are going to prove they did that damage – are you going to be relying on character witnesses from on here?

singlespeedstu

but that amount of damage? What is a fair resolution?

The best part of **** all would seem fair for that amount of damage on a ten year old frame.

ojom
    Free Member

TJ – save the megabytes and pursue this no further. Fail is predicted i am afraid.

jamm
    Free Member

I'm sorry that your frame has been damaged, but from bitter experience I think most people are far too casual when packing their bikes for air travel. In a lot of cases it is the return flight where the damage happens. I think people are generally quite tired after their holiday and are more likely to make mistakes in packing their bike away.

Always assume the worst with baggage handlers, try not to give them an excuse.

1 Discs should never be attached to the wheel. They are an easy thing to damage by themselves when riding and if turned towards the frame in your bag/box there is potentially more metal to metal contact with the frame as well as them getting bent.

2) Pack with your cassette turned away from the frame.

3) Special attention should be taken with padding on your hubs. Wheels will generally overlap your frame and the hubs are the point of the wheel that will transfer the most force onto your frame if your bag is dropped. I have seen suitcase fall 10ft of the loading conveyor.

4) Don't try and squeeze everything in. Most bags can't take a 160mm or bigger fork. Take the fork off. Dismantle your bike as much as you can to fit into the bag/box with ease. Either take tools (any holiday worth it's salt should have at least enough workshop tools.

5) Pipe lagging is useless for modern frames. Sleeping mats from the likes of Tesco are easier to use and cheaper and if attached properly stay on to the parts you are trying to protect.

6) Dont' take risks, don't want to be too derogatory about baggage handlers, but why let them ruin your rather expensive holiday or pride and joy.

Good luck with chasing your claim

sunkistbob
    Free Member

Your baggae is under the care of the airline until you collect it.

Look up the Montreal Convention in thsi regard. Do not let your Insurance agency fob you off.

I had a brand new longboard that Ryanair completely buggered.

Ryanair told me to 'whistle' and my insurance agency told me it was Ryanairs fault – neither were willing to settle.

I offered both the oppurtunity to discuss it further in court at which point the Insurers paid up.

You may wish to remind Easyjet of the Montreal Convention and see what they say?

Ben

Reluctant
    Free Member

Get a life TJ! 😆

mogrim

That's it? I was expecting TJ vs. Stelios, Rumble in the Jungle style, but for that small bump?

TBH if I were an EasyJet lawyer and that got to court I'd allege it was already there, given the rest of the battle-scars you'd be hard pushed to prove it wasn't…

scaredypants

sunkistbob
    Your baggae is under the care of the airline until you collect it.
    … Montreal Convention … Ryanair completely buggered…my insurance agency told me it was Ryanairs fault…the Insurers paid up.

Not having a go – don't understand:
    Why didn't your insurer look up the Montreal convention and make Ryanair pay ?

BigJohn

Do I go for the max or be reasonable?

They must have given the bike a fair whack to do that. I think the first thing to do is to get them to accept liability, and agree to restitution.

You've got no control over the size of the claim until that happens, and then I guess the size of your claim depends on their attitude.

The break must have relaxed you pretty well. I never expected to see the word "reasonable" in one of your posts 😉

geoffj

I'm struggling a bit with the sources, but I thought claims for damage or loss to baggage was regulated by the Warsaw Convention. This limits claims to $20 US per kg of luggage.

Either way, I think you'd struggle to pin that damage on Easyjet amongst the other battle scars.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I'm not sure it would have happened at all if you were wearing a helmet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Andy – but but but – there was an inch of EPS ( the same stuff helmets are made from) between any metal to metal contact – so the baggage handlers had managed to crush that completely

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well holy thread resurrection batman

Today I have an email from easy jet offering £400 in settlement. I almost feel guilty.

I told no fibs but I wouldn’t allow them to wriggle either.the previous email from them stated as it was an old bike and I had no receipts they discount 50% for no receipts and 10% a year so they were going to offer me nothing. I told them despite its age it still had a value and I was prepared to accept a reasonable comprimise

happy happy joy joy

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That’ll be why my flight to Köln cost so much last weekend…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thank you stuartie

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You’re welcome ;o)

Enjoy the lucre.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To replace the frame would be the best part of £2000

I think thats actually a reasonable resolution. Despite the battle scars that is the only dent in the frame. 20% of the renewal cost seems reasonable

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m glad to hear someone finally got something out of the airlines. This is going to be useful for the next one of us it happens to. If more people are successful, it will mean the airlines lean on baggage services to take more care, offer their own insurance or refuse to carry bikes at all.

It could be the latter though. I don’t think we make up a large enough chunk of the manifest to hurt them if we all stopped flying with bikes.

Either way, well done TJ. Given the pics, four hundred sounds like a result.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Easy jet,, dented frame , how much to claim?’ is closed to new replies.