Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • E bike experts . Your thoughts on this.
  • zippykona

After a cheap e bike. This ticks all my boxes and is available for 2k locally.
    I will be swapping everything on the bike. Any reason not to buy this?
    https://www.haibike.com/gb/en/electric-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/electric-trail-bikes/alltrack-4-29-gb705?id=45200340

martymac

I would think it’s gonna be fine.
    Haibike are a well known manufacturer, the bosch kit is bosch,
    I don’t see any problems there tbh

scotroutes

Any reason not to buy this?

Not if you’ve already lost all self-respect 😉

choppersquad
    Free Member

If you’re spending £2k why change everything on the bike? Just ride it, enjoy it then swap stuff out when it breaks. 500w battery is pretty good and Bosch motor is serviceable when it breaks down so go for it.

cookeaa

After a cheap e bike…

…available for 2k…

Hmmm, I think I need my understanding of ‘cheap’ recalibrating.

zippykona

Whilst perusing ebikes e motorbikes came up.
    I could have got a lexmoto monkey bike for less.

rickmeister

HaiBike are a pretty well established brand here in Germany so no issues with that. Bosch motor / Powertube all good. Interesting parts list on brakes…and nowhere does it state the weight of the beast…

joebristol

I mean e-bikes cost a lot – at least you’re getting a decent quality motor and battery with this one.

Forks are terribly crap for the money (crc are banging out a similar fork for £39.99 at the moment I think), no name brakes, doesn’t admit what hubs are on it, suspect rims, low end gears etc etc.

If you’re effectively using it as a frame and motor for a build with a decent fork / brakes / drivetrain / wheels etc then that makes some sense I guess.

DrP

2 key things – thats the performance line motor, so lower spec (45Nm torque, compared to 85Nm on the CX gen 4)
    Forks, as mentioned, are rubbish.

If you’re wanting to to actually mountain bike on it, i’d avoid it, and look for a performance line CX motor.

If it’s just to commute etc, they the motor and crap forks will be fine

DrP

zippykona

In the blurb they say 75nm. Is this a case of them being able to say what they like as no one can actually measure it?

benpinnick

Watch out for non off road spec parts if you’re planning to go off road. Non narrow wide chainrings and non clutch mechs for example are a classic for offroad-looking eBikes of this type. Which is fine as long as you don’t want your chain to stay on at the first sign of a rough track or trail.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

What are your other options have you not been able to find a cube at a similar price?

dyna-ti

Performance line – https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/performance-line

Says 65nm

Always good fork deals about, especially the shorter travel versions. As a basic start where it has the good drive kit make it a project and add when you can afford the better more capable kit
    That fork weighs close to 6lbs.
    Short travel fox 34 here. and its blue.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166119596516?hash=item26ad7fe1e4:g:DMcAAOSwT-lkbcde

And same but ‘pre owned’ on that note I’ve bought a tri sport resort ‘pre owned’ 160mm lyrik select and far as i can see it was brand new not a mark on it(original packaging etc)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155570737550?hash=item2438bd118e:g:G7IAAOSw7FNkbbsV

Previous price was £2499.

dyna-ti

UPDATE – Found a weight for it. Says 27.2kg, which is pretty heavy(those forks arent helping) In comparison,my full suss 29er is 23.4kg

zippykona

Looked at the Cubes but they are qr .
    I’ll be putting xt kit and recons with my plus wheels (if they fit)!
    It won’t be mental off road ,just Surrey hills wheels on the ground type stuff.
    Race Face chain rings are £10 on wiggle , so only really worried about the motor as I don’t know one from the other.

GeForceJunky

I’ve never ridden a hardtail ebike, but with the extra dead weight I’ve always assumed they’d be horrible to ride off-road.

longdog
    Free Member

My steel HT with a tongsheng motor and big battery (and pannier rack and bag and tools) is 26kg. Amazing how heavy it feels, but fine for what I need it for which is just mixed road, farm track and single track and a bit of bikepacking. No air or tech stuff.

bri-72

Depends on what you’re planning using for. Sounds like Mtb given reference to upgrades. Assuming so I wouldn’t go near that, £2k plus upgrades for a fugly very basic Hardtail. When not long back you could have say a Vitus full suss ebike for £3k from CRC. Bound to be other deals could better that Haibike IMO.

zippykona

As per Longdog I’m currently having fun on a Carrera with a tongsheng conversion so all its got to do is be better than that.
    Most of the stuff I ride at the moment is doable on my rigid whippet with big tyres , I really don’t need full sus.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

£2,000 for that monstrosity makes me feel a bit better about some of my recent splurges.

zippykona

£2,000 for that monstrosity makes me feel a bit better about some of my recent splurges.

Wait til I put mudguards on it!
    All Hardtail e bikes look like they come from the same factory.

olly2097
    Free Member

My mates just bought that haibike for his missus.

The forks are crap but work.
    The brakes are cheap but work.
    The alivio mech is fine.

The bike rides well and does fine on forest tracks etc.

It’s fine.

dudeofdoom

Whilst perusing ebikes e motorbikes came up.
    I could have got a lexmoto monkey bike for less

It’s a funny one, I’ve been looking as I want a bike to get me to beaches for lazy days and for arsing about off road ,it’s about 40 miles a day and I’d been looking at surrons but once I’d really got looking into the range and ease of use, no range anxiety and reliability I’ve found my self looking at a Honda grom, just seemed mad to spend almost twice the price for something pretending to not be a motorbike and low range a groms something like 118mpg and as it’s a real motorbike meets all the regs and er it’s a Honda.

It’s actually way more bike than I’d really want but I could actually pootle along the coast for long weekends without any drama or having to fart about charging.

It has made me think about where I’m splashing my next £3.5 on bang per buck and what the real everyday use of it is for.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh Ebike prices are nuts as are emotorbike prices. My brother has just bought a beast of a Triumph 1050 in fantastic condition for £2k. It really doesn’t add up.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.