• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poly.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DVLA – keeper details from registration number?
  • colournoise

Two questions –

1 – Do DVLA still do the one-off payment thing where they release rergistered keeper details and address if you supply a registration number?

2 – If so, what do they accept as ‘reasonable’ reasons for a private individual to make such a request?

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that they ever did this. Seems a bit dodgy to me. I thought they only provided data like that to police etc, and certain companies who would need that data. Certainly not individuals – at least I wouldn’t be happy about it.

colournoise
    Suggsey
    Free Member

I raised this a while back on bikes being targeted in thefts/burglaries recently…..they don’t even have to follow you home. Visit trail centre, gather registration numbers of vehicles loading unloading expensive bikes. False application for say damage caused by vehicle reg no etc etc…..pay small fee, finds keepers address, goes screws garages/sheds…..
    Sells bikes makes profit overall/ injects/snorts said profits….

maccruiskeen

Seems a bit dodgy to me

Its a shame more drivers aren’t away of it – that when they drive idiotically or aggressively that they’re effectively doing so with their name and address on display.

poly
    Free Member

I raised this a while back on bikes being targeted in thefts/burglaries recently…..they don’t even have to follow you home. Visit trail centre, gather registration numbers of vehicles loading unloading expensive bikes. False application for say damage caused by vehicle reg no etc etc…..pay small fee, finds keepers address, goes screws garages/sheds…..
    Sells bikes makes profit overall/ injects/snorts said profits….

Thats quite a lot of effort and will leave some sort of evidence trail (you need to pay for it)… Not to mention that the keepers address isn’t where the vehicle is kept for most company cars etc, so you only get a %age success rate.

scotroutes

Aye – but few companies provide lifestyle vans 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

and will leave some sort of evidence trail

although the registered keeper is not informed of a request made against their details are they?

nor are the police likely to cross reference DVLA searches with burglary victims either…

jimdubleyou

I’m fairly sure if I were in the business of stealing high end bikes I would also be able to get hold of a few fake credit card numbers and addresses.

j4mie
    Free Member

I’ve got lots of people’s names and addresses, but pretty sure it would mean diddly as evidence if they were to get burgled?!

Flaperon

I’ve got lots of people’s names and addresses, but pretty sure it would mean diddly as evidence if they were to get burgled?!

*whoosh*

I think jimdubleyou is implying that with a list of names and addresses you don’t leave an incriminating paper trail when getting details from the DVLA.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d have thought most people are aware the police can look up their address from the reg number. I’m not sure on what grounds you were planning on getting the address of an aggressive driver from DVLA…

lightman
    Free Member

I believe its in Sweden or somewhere similar, any one can look up and find an address with someone’s licence plate.

poly
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Aye – but few companies provide lifestyle vans

No need to do a DVLA check for them – spot it on the drive / street and good chance there is some expensive kit in the garage!

And I’m sure there’s quite a few people who have “lifestyle” vans as a company vehicle – when they control the company decisions!

jimdubleyou – Member
    I’m fairly sure if I were in the business of stealing high end bikes I would also be able to get hold of a few fake credit card numbers and addresses.

don’t think that will help you, AFAIK the process is a “paper” one only which requires you to send a cheque (or PO) and they post the response back to you. That’s quite an elaborate scam required to get lots of replies, answering all the “why do you want it” questions satisfactorily and without anyone at DVLA spotting a trend (I’d guess there are only 2 or 3 people who routinely deal with these).

If your priority is funding your next hit, then a process that takes over a week and costs £2.50 a time, + a stamp, and filling in a form is probably a bit slow!

nor are the police likely to cross reference DVLA searches with burglary victims either…

no but a victim could make a SAR to see who has been given responses, and if there was any sign of a link the victim could pass the details to the police for investigation.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DVLA – keeper details from registration number?’ is closed to new replies.