Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dumfries to Mabie?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Is there an alternative route to mabie from dumfries, that doesn’t involve the road? Not that the road is that bad, it’s flat and short, but 8 miles(there and back) on road is something I’d rather avoid if possible.

On the OS map it looks like there is a track the runs down the west bank of the Nith, which then turns back to another dotted line taking you into the start point that is 99% offroad.

Has anyone ever taken this route? Is it there? Google Earth data is poor, so i can’t make out if the track is there or not. And well we all know dotted lines in Scotland don’t necessarily mean much.

druidh
    Free Member

Just had a look on Google Maps/Streetview. The track from Islesteps to Mabie is some sort of RoW and can be seen as a field boundary here: http://g.co/maps/dbmmc and exiting at http://g.co/maps/ttevf

seosamh77
    Free Member

route in question

seosamh77
    Free Member

Streetview! why didn’t I think of that! cheers. I shall investigate further. cheers Druidh!

Thinking if heading down on Saturday, if so, I’ll take a wander and see if it’s in decent nick I think.

druidh
    Free Member

The “path” along the Cargen Pow doesn’t look too promising in this view:
    http://g.co/maps/kddys

Trekster

Is there an alternative route to mabie from dumfries, that doesn’t involve the road?

No.

Unfortunately that walk/ROW is mostly a BOG!!!

An alternative I use regulary is to cycle the Caledonian Cycle Path to Cargenbridge Then a short cycle on the Dalbeattie Rd Turn left onto the old moss road for Mabie Farm Park. Turn left onto the farm park road and keep right when you reach the farm up a forest acces rod passing a house on your right. Straight ahead through a gate and keep left uphill passing a house on your right and you will come to the car park area.
    I cycle out quite often including the occasional night ride if MrsT commandeers the car 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye not looking great D, maybe one to have a go at in dry weather. shame though, looked like it could have great potential!

Trekster, thanks I’ll have a look at that just now.

Trekster

druidh – Member
    The “path” along the Cargen Pow doesn’t look too promising in this view:

There is a cycleway from Dfs that terminates at Cargenholm just before the Arnold Clark garage. The walk/track that is shown on the map barely exists any more!!

Trekster

seosamh77 – Member
    Aye not looking great D, maybe one to have a go at in dry weather.

Given the flooding over the last week and the number of fields currently under water you may have a long wait 🙄
    The surface of this track(Burns Path)has been destroyed in places..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dumfries to Mabie?’ is closed to new replies.