Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dumbass Kindle Question.
  • singlespeedstu

Can you download books onto a kindle without wifi?
    Is it just a case of plugging in into a pc with a usb lead or more complicated than that?

5lab

yeah you can do it that way, but I don’t know if you can load ‘amazon’ content that way. if you get the 3g version you obviously don’t need to worry about any of that

fd3chris
    Free Member

It’s as simple as that mate .

singlespeedstu

I don’t know if you can load ‘amazon’ content that way.

So what content can I download that way?

Stuey01
    Free Member

pdf’s formatted for Kindle I think, stuff not sourced from Amazon.

I recently got one and downloaded some free e-books (legally free)to try, but so far am still on the ones I bought direct from Amazon so haven’t tried it yet.

Earl_Grey

Calibre is a nice way of managing loaded (non-amazon) books. Other books are available for kindle from places like Smashwords.

5lab

you can also transfer amazon content to the kindle manually via your pc

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_usb_200375630?nodeId=200375630&#usb

singlespeedstu

fd3chris – Member

It’s as simple as that mate .

Right then just to confirm before I buy the wrong one and someones dissapionted of christmas morning.

i can download books from amazon without wifi on the £89 kindle?

5lab

yes you can, but only after you’ve registered that kindle to your account. ie – you can’t just download ‘some content’ and load it onto any kindle

singlespeedstu

Thanks for your help everyone. 😀

*runs off to shop to tell the 15 year old sales guy that he’s wrong and i don’t need to buy the 3g version* 🙄

Oh and if anyone sees Mrs ssstu you ain’t seen this right. 😉

Cougar

*runs off to shop to tell the 15 year old sales guy that he’s wrong and i don’t need to buy the 3g version*

After that advice, I’d run back to the shop to tell him he’s a lying shithouse and I’m taking my business elsewhere.

stumpyjon

My missus has bought me th £89 one for Christmas. She’s had one of the fully loaded older 3G ones for a while but doesn’t think both Kindles need it. if we’re on holiday and I want to download a book we’ll just swap Kindles.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I got the £89 job and it’s fantastic! I bought the wife the 3g one earlier this year but I don’t think she’s actually used that function.

The keyboard seems superfluous too. The cheaper one fits nicely in my work trousers (combats) so I can never claim to be bored!

fd3chris
    Free Member

You can easily put any .mobi file on it from anywhere .

singlespeedstu

After that advice, I’d run back to the shop to tell him he’s a lying shithouse and I’m taking my business elsewhere.

I just went to another shop in the end.

Thanks again everyone.

Now if we can just let this fall off the bottom of the page before she gets back from work. 😉

mrchrispy

Bump

😉

singlespeedstu

Ta again. Just got it set up without wifi.
    Mrs ssstu loves it. 😀

cheers_drive

Good stuff.
    Miss CD will be receiving hers later when she gets back from works. Hopefully the 2 huge books she got last night for Danish Christmas will be the last and I can start claiming back some of the space in the house and my luggage lost to her book collection 😀

Cougar

I got a Kindle for Chrimble. It’s a thing of beauty. \o/

CountZero

These people are really worth registering with: http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/
    They send you regular updates with lists of free Kindle ebooks, sometimes twice a day. Oh, and Amazon are doing a twelve days of Christmas with Kindle ebooks, with loads around £0.99-1.99. Just bought half a dozen or so, including a China Mielville and a Patricia Cornwall.
    These I read via my phone’s Kindle app, rather than a real Kindle.

busydog
    Free Member

These people are really worth registering with: http://www.ereaderiq.co.uk/

Just checked and there is a US version as well—looks like a good way to stay on top of both free and newly “kindleized” books.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve a different dumbass kindle question. How do you delete a book you don’t want. I’ve got samples of 2 books I’ve now bought and something in German that was already on it. I want rid of them! I’ve got the new no keyboard one. Ta

Cougar

Press ‘left’ on the D-pad. Or, I think it gives you the option from the menu button too.

legolam
    Free Member

Can you register 2 amazon accounts to one kindle? If you can’t, I think my other half might be abusing my account rather a lot on our joint kindle!

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers cougar

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dumbass Kindle Question.’ is closed to new replies.