Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Due to go skiing in Bulgaria at the weekend but resort conditions are dire
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

As the title says. The Borovets website reports 7 out of 25 runs open and the ten day weather forecast expects the week to be 9 to 11 degrees with rain showers. The webcams show the tops of the mountain to be bare. Two years ago we went there and had brill snow and great socials.

Option 1. Go anyway and put up with rubbish skiing, if the rain doesn’t close the resort completely.

Option 2. Write it off as a risk you take when you book a cheap resort and hit the credit card for a last minute deal on somewhere there is snow.

First world problem I know but what would you do? Is there an option 3 that I haven’t thought of?

thomthumb
    Free Member

3 – take your bike. 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If you’re going this weekend then bin that holiday and go somewhere else. There are loads of cheap deals about.

The snow this year seems to be phenomenal nearly everywhere. twould be a shame to go somewhere with none.

chrisdw
    Free Member

There are loads of cheap deals about.

Where? Seriously as I’m looking and cant find many!

ads-b
    Free Member

After the amazing week i just had in la plagne I would suggest bin it and get a cheap deal. You only get to go once a year. Make it a good one.
    [video]http://youtu.be/5b0fFxb7cWg[/video]

ads-b
    Free Member

Cheap deals come mostly from the independant chalet owners looking to fill their places. Try chalets direct.

You will have to pay extra for the flight as its last minute though.

Drac

Cairngorms has loads but they keep shutting due to blizzards.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bulgariaski.com/borovets/webcams/index.shtml

That looks pretty bleak to me, especially given the altitude!

I’d be trying to find a cheap last minute deal somewhere with snow.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Get doctors line and claim travel insurance cancellation!

Book alternative trip and DON’T use same travel insurance company!

eskay

Feel your pain man, I have been in the same situation before. Constant webcam refreshes and looking at every online weather forecast praying for a glimmer of hope.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ditch it and go somewhere else. Southern half of Austria or here in Sweden. hope you find something!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bin it, go somewhere else.

Alps, nice and high, lovely job.

Andorra is quite cheap too I’m told.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Bin it.
    Book elsewhere!

GrahamS

If you have the holiday time spare, and you’ve already paid for it, then go anyway, have a laugh riding the slush and getting drunk, but book another quick deal for when you get back.

pjt201
    Free Member

yup, independent chalets have some good deals on late availability. I’d heartily recommend: http://www.alpineethos.co.uk/prices.php (who also advertise on here as http://www.mountainbiketrailholidays.co.uk/ )

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll be following those links tonight.

MoreCashThanDash

Went to Bulgaria skiing with school c1986. No snow then either.

I suspect conditions for you now will be nowhere near as dire as they were for us back in the Communist era!

VanMan
    Free Member
    Freester
    MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

A genuine Option 3 has arisen.

Not long after we booked the holiday for my son and I, my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She was adamant at the time that her misfortune shouldn’t interfere with the rest of our plans. Earlier this month she was given her first chemotherapy appointment for the Thursday we were due to be away but once again refused to consider me cancelling the holiday, saying that she has plenty of mates who will help out if needed. She’s now suggested that the chemo would be a valid reason to claim on the travel insurance and that we look for a deal in a couple of weeks once she’s over it. The insurance company have said that we have a valid claim so that’s now the plan.
    Oh what a lovely wife.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There are loads of cheap deals about.
    Where? Seriously as I’m looking and cant find many!

Neilson:
    £229 to Bansko
    £262 to Borovets.
    And getting to the point, £274 to Meribel.

totalshell

quite frankly id rather have a winter holiday with no snow for a 1000 years than have that option 3.

respct to the mrs shes obviously a class act

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Due to go skiing in Bulgaria at the weekend but resort conditions are dire’ is closed to new replies.