Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Ducati – Seems like a shame….
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Trophy in a wall cabinet – Ducati bought by Audi

Something fundamentally wrong with this???

Or poncey rose tinted nonsense…

Germanic efficiency is all very well, but does everything need to be designed and built in the same way?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can you tell me who has owned Ducati in the past?

onewheelgood

It hasn’t exactly done Lamborghini any harm. They are still much more bonkers than a Ferrari, but now they work properly. The Panigale is pretty Vorsprung Durch Technic already.

mcboo
    Free Member

They ought to be thanking their lucky stars that Audi gives a monkeys enough to spend time and money on them.

rkk01
    Free Member

Not without google…

With so many “brands” owned by private equity etc, I suppose “ownership” is less important than management..

RustySpanner

They’ve always been on the verge of going under – Cagiva, various finance groups, government aid etc.

Hopefully this will bring a bit of stability.
    Be nice to see a new aircooled sportsbike and the Street Scrambler released.

binners

Buying something Italian that’s not going to leave you stood by the side of the road waiting for the RAC?

Madness, I tell thee! 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

….and we need more PE investment, not less. Thats a sector of finance that has a fantastic story to tell but does a lousy PR job.

rossi46
    Free Member

Perhaps they can give me a descent Moto GP bike to start winning on again 💡

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I thought Ducati were owned by VW anyway!

rossi46
    Free Member

Buying something Italian that’s not going to leave you stood by the side of the road waiting for the RAC?

Now, now- modern Dukes are better than that! 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Perhaps they can give me a descent Moto GP bike to start winning on again

oh, I dunno – Stoner seemed to be able to get the best out of it, even Nicky Hayden can get it going a bit

I think you need to apply yourself a bit more 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

does everything need to be designed and built in the same way?

Im pretty sure Dukes will still be made in the same unique Italian way. The factory in Bologna is part of Italian folklore and will surely remain right where it is and most of the workforce there are passionate about motorcycles- it makes Ducati what it is…..

rossi46
    Free Member

I think you need to apply yourself a bit more

😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

meh, Organ donors.

Woody
    Free Member

I feel a bit sad at this too, mainly because it’s yet more corporate expansion but if they keep the character and improve reliability (it takes a long time to get rid of a reputation) then hopefully it will benefit all concerned.

BTW most people would be over the moon to be given a bike. Some people really do have too much!! From MCN –

the purchase will be presented as being a 75th birthday present to VW chairman Ferdinand Piech.

br
    Free Member

but if they keep the character and improve reliability

Which they seem to do with the car brands they’ve bought, and even if all Ducati get out of it is the purchasing ‘power’ it will be a good thing.

At least with the Germans’ you can depend on a long-term view to their investments.

rkk01
    Free Member

Which they seem to do with the car brands they’ve bought

I remain to be convinced…

Leaving aside the exotica, aren’t most of the VAG products dull, utterly predictable clones of each other???

I don’t hear people getting excited about how much more rewarding the Leon is to drive compared to the Golf, or how the A3 engines are so much more entertaining than the Octavia…

br
    Free Member

I don’t hear people getting excited about how much more rewarding the Leon is to drive compared to the Golf, or how the A3 engines are so much more entertaining than the Octavia…

Maybe you forget how crap Seat’s and Skoda’s were before though?

jota180
    Free Member

but if they keep the character and improve reliability

TBH – I think they lost a great big chunk of their character with the last of the air cooled engines

onewheelgood

A3 engines are so much more entertaining than the Octavia

and how the Gallardo is just a rebadged RS6…

onewheelgood

and the Veyron is just a GTi with a bigger engine

jambalaya
    Free Member

It didn’t hurt Ferrari’s F1 team having it run by “foreigners” did it ?

I have an Audi A6 Quattro great car, not dull and not a clone of anything – in fact it’s the original. My mate said his S4 was quicker and drove better than his 911. Audi make a range of cars and if you want an exciting one they have a model for you.

jota180
    Free Member

Maybe you forget how crap Seat’s and Skoda’s were before though?

I have no great knowledge of either marque but IMO something not being ruthlessly efficient doesn’t make it crap.
    I have a great love for 70s British and Italian motorbikes and wouldn’t ever dream of swapping them for more reliable and efficient modern models. They’re not crap just because they aren’t as refined.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Whilst it may seem a shame my understanding is that Ducati desperately needed someone to bail them out.

I’d much rather this purchase happens and Ducati stay around than lose them. Lovely bikes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“My mate said his S4 was quicker and drove better than his 911.”

Never driven either to be honest, but I am sure there would be plenty of more informed people than me who would laugh at the above

tonyplym
    Free Member

I wonder if Ducati own any interesting “technology” copyrights or patents that could be of use to Audi – if you own the company you own its knowledge.

rkk01
    Free Member

I have an Audi A6 Quattro great car, not dull and not a clone of anything – in fact it’s the original. My mate said his S4 was quicker and drove better than his 911. Audi make a range of cars and if you want an exciting one they have a model for you.

NO – they are all DULL, DULL, DULL – This is a FACT*

You appear to be confusing “how fast” with “how much fun”. Very definately not the same thing

* possibly 😉

ETA –

I’d much rather this purchase happens and Ducati stay around than lose them. Lovely bikes.

Agreed

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good synergy that. Audi moving into single personal transport solutions. Seems like a rather good fit. Beemer do it rather well, Audi have obviously been sleeping in a windtunnel to drown out the hecklers for a bit longer than they’d planned.

Be a bit like an Italian pron film with no emotion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wonder if Ducati own any interesting “technology” copyrights or patents that could be of use to Audi – if you own the company you own its knowledge.

There’s Desmo, but works on motorbikes because you cant fit a turbo (either as a result of rules, reliability, or just plain sensible desire to live a few minutes longer), add a turbo and cam profiles become largely irelavent and thus so does desmo (which just lets you use a more aggressive cam that a traditional spring/valve cant cope with).

PJM1974
    Free Member

Leaving aside the exotica, aren’t most of the VAG products dull, utterly predictable clones of each other???

My 1991 Golf GIT remains one of the best cars I’ve ever driven, if not the best. Plenty of guts, lift off oversteer and throttle adjustability together with 35+mpg aren’t to be sniffed at.

The Mk IV Golfs I’ve driven have all been utterly dismal though, unless you’re in stop start traffic.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Soon to be seen range of Audi Motorcycles to get a piece of that middle-aged, ‘thinks he’s Charlie Boorman but will only commute along the M4’ market?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It hasn’t exactly done Lamborghini any harm. They are still much more bonkers than a Ferrari, but now they work properly.

^this^

rossi46
    Free Member

I wonder if we’ll see factory Ducati’s with Audi sponsorship and paint scheme in the GP and WSB paddocks? Yamaha Fiat style….

br
    Free Member

have no great knowledge of either marque but IMO something not being ruthlessly efficient doesn’t make it crap.

Q – why do Skoda’s have heated rear windows?
    A – to keep your hands warm when you are pushing them

Q – what do you call a Skoda with a sunroof?
    A – a skip…

skywalker
    Free Member

Forget Lamborghini, they bought out Bugatti then made the Veyron.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Ducati – Seems like a shame….’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM