• This topic has 42 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Ducati Monster 937 – oh,oh, I might be hooked!
  • pandhandj
    Free Member

Spent an hour in Ducati Glasgow yesterday, very nearly bought a new Monster but it would spend the winter in my garage, so decided to wait till next season. Not a cheap bike, £11k+. So was looking around last night… A new mt09 is 2k cheaper! I’ve not had a bike since ’96 and it’s an expensive treat for me. So I’d like to get the purchase correct! Any suggestions for a naked bike? Thanks, Paul

Riksbar

£9000! You could get an E-bike for that!

(Other than that nothing I’m afraid)

gobuchul
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a naked bike?

I’m not a motorcyclist.

Can someone explain what the point of a “naked” bike is? Surely it’s a way of making a motorbike uncomfortable to ride?

twonks

I know nothing about motorbikes, however get the one you want.

Saving a bit on something else is all well and good but, it isn’t what you wanted and will always be second best.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The thing that takes some getting used to with Monsters is the terrible turning circle. Nearly caught me out the first time I rode one. We used to say that it’d be easier to park up at the side of the road and wait for another Monster coming the other way and just swap bikes 🤣 Great fun though and the lack of wind protection acts as a good licence protector.

Kuco

£9000! You could get an E-bike for that!

Not the Top Ducati e-bike £10.890

Bruce

My paddling partner used to have one until it got written off by a careless car driver.
    I was always slightly envious.
    Nice Bike!!!!

RustyNissanPrairie

BMW F900R – similar power, twin & price but not a Ducati…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Can someone explain what the point of a “naked” bike is? Surely it’s a way of making a motorbike uncomfortable to ride?

Great fun at reasonable speeds, comfy riding position. If you do need to cover huge miles or go very very fast then faired bikes are generally a better bet,but you do lose some of the sensation.

Op,my two current favourite picks would be the new Yamaha XSR900 and a Kawasaki Z900rs. But the new MT09 is definitely growing on me from a looks perspective.

kilo

If going naked I’d probably go Triumph again (had a bonneville T100) but would have a good look at moto guzzi, always had a soft spot for those in spite of having owned a v50!

Just looked at the Guzzi website and the v85tt looks lovely (although not a naked)

Dickyboy

BMW F900R – similar power, twin & price but not a Ducati…

Had an F900xr for a few days, very capable but bland bland bland..

Not sure what the power of the ducati is but betting the guzzi & trumpet suggested are way down on it, if you can afford it get the Ducati – maybe try the scrambler instead or the bmw 9t?

bigdean

A friend has recently bought a pringle v4 amazing, beautiful machine and stupidly fast.

ta11pau1

Considering the price of things recently I’m shocked that the small monster is still only £11k. They were £9500 back in 2014/2015.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

pringle v4

Once you pop, you can’t stop 🤣🤣

Lovely bikes, though. I’d love one if I had the money!

TheFlyingOx

KTM 890 Duke R might be a good shout. I tested a 790 Duke a couple of years back and it was tremendous. Ended up with an older 990
    SM though, which is also tremendous.

bedmaker

I wouldn’t spend significant money on a bike without an hour plus test ride now.
    I got a mint Ducati Multistrada 1100s earlier this year.
    Lovely bike, great riding position, superb ohlins suspension…but, it gives me full on numb whitefinger after about 45 mins riding.
    Not something I’m prone to, I’ve had rattly classic singles, supermoto/ traillies with no issues like this.
    I also regularly spend 3 or more hours in a day rattling out masonry with an sds breaker without problems.

You should buy it, much more practical than a monster 🙂.

dyna-ti

If I were to go Motorcycle, it would be more like this Triumph.

Doesn’t have to be about speed. It would need to be a sidecar model though.

Kato

I used to have an MT09.  Very capable bike but zero charisma.  I’d love a Monster

one_bad_mofo

It was around 20 years ago but I had a second-generation Monster – a 620ie Dark. I loved that bike did 1,000s of miles on including daily commuting through central London. Loved the sound of the Desdomonic valves and the lovely kick up the arse power that used to come in just below 5,000rpm.

Shame it got written off when I stopped at a pedestrian crossing but the car behind me didn’t. I’d love another one but my pillion hated it.

Matt_SS_xc

Triumph speed twin. Really like mine,

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Triumph speed twin. Really like mine,

I like mine also 😉 even more since the Nitron fork and rear shock upgrade.

kayak23

Can someone explain what the point of a “naked” bike is?

Never trust a motorcycle you can’t see through.

clubby

Had an S2R1000 with a carbon exhaust and open air box. God I miss that noise.

Great bike, zero issues over the 8 years I had it. Just go for it. Can’t see them getting any cheaper and you never know what supply will be like next year.
    No fairing is good as you can actually feel the speed you’re doing. Was a bit wrist heavy riding position at town speed but from 45 up the wind pressure gave good support. Felt it’s happiest just cruising around speed limit, dropping down the gears into corners then use the huge torque to fire you out along the next straight.

johnnystorm

I had a Monster Dark like bad mofo up there way back when. Just had a look at the 937 and I hope it sounds good and rides well because the moulded plastic generic looks do nothing for me, sorry.

jkomo

I was expecting something a bit more retro than that, Rather than a modern bike missing some bits.
    Still, if it’s your thing, buy it!!!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind the new monster is a different beast from the old one. Purists are lamenting the loss of the trellis frame and the old engine. Makes it a much more generic bike but allegedly a lot better as it really needed to be to keep apace with competitors. Picking up a nearly new but old style might save the cash you’d save by going MT09 but still getting a Ducati.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just looking at the pics of the Monster – I’m afraid it does nothing for me. That front mudguard though – the engine is going to get everything thrown up by the front wheel.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Well, money has changed hands and a decision has been made. This was delivered on Tuesday morning. Woo hoo!

willard

Ooooh! Congratulations! That is a very tidy looking bike!

tobymc

Congratulations – how many miles on it today? First service before the weekend?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The motorcycling equivalent of an open topped sports car with low seats. All the sensations of going fast, but without the actual speed.

bob_summers

Can someone explain what the point of a “naked” bike is?

About to change the plugs and check the valves on my ZZR 14, which is when I wish I had a naked bike

rickmeister

check the valves on my ZZR 14,

If its running, I bet the valves will still be there…

IGMC

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Nice wheels OP – is that an MT-07?

weeksy

Yup mt07, had one the same colour.

feed

Great fun at reasonable speeds, comfy riding position. If you do need to cover huge miles or go very very fast then faired bikes are generally a better bet,but you do lose some of the sensation.

Easier to work on, easier to filter through traffic as narrower and generally have a better turning circle. Also less likely to lose you licence as the wind buffering above 80mph generally keeps you as a more sensible speed, oh, and in my opinion, they look nicer.

weeksy

Sure do.

Especially in orange

2022-09-11_02-37-36

fasthaggis

Aahhhh my eyes 😆 🤣
    Weeksy,your Yamaha XSR was way nicer 😉

stcolin
    Free Member

Enjoy. Do like the MT range. I’d have recommended a Triumph Street Triple of some flavour. Don’t let the next couple of months weather wise put you off. If you have the right gear it’ll be fine.

stanley

If you are buying new, them I’d suggest hanging on. Go to see the dealer in January/February for the best deal.

On the other hand, deals to be had now and you might get a month of riding before the salt goes down. When the salt goes down, the Ducati really needs to go in!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.