• This topic has 60 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • DT Swiss 240 hub query – shimano 10/11 speed
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Just got one of these hubs second hand. It’s a shimano freehub with the spline system.
    When I remove the end cap (12 x 142) the freehub slides off, then the comical spring, then the two metal spline ring things, then the second conical spring and a spacer on the axle which from the pics seems fine.
    When I put the 11 speed cassette on its all fine until it goes into the frame and is tightened up – the freehub is then locked like on a hope hub when the spacer is missed out – any ideas??

forked
    Free Member

Does the freehub spin without the cassette fitted? Is it an 11 speed freehub (should be marked as such)? Are the end caps correct (these are specific to 10 or 11 speed freehubs)?

nixie

The 11 speed road is clearly marked as such normally. If that were the case the cassette would be loose out of the bike.

BearBack
    Free Member

New or used 11spd driver body?
    Bad freehub bearings will appear to spin fine until you apply preload in the frame.

Also. The microspline and 9/10/11spd and XD 12mm end caps are all different. Make sure you use the correct one.

welshfarmer

12-142 would suggest MTB use? I have 240 hubs on my MTB bike and switched from a 10 speed xt cassette to an 11 speed XT cassette set up without any thought and have had no problems and used both systems for over a year on same hub/wheel/end cap. Changed nowt but the cassette (and derailleurs obs!)

Superficial
    Free Member

I assume you mean the hub won’t freewheel when the axle is under compression (by the bolt through / frame)?

Is it 100% locked or does it rotate a bit if you force it? Is there any chance the axle is snapped?

Make sure the conical springs are facing the right direction (Narrow diameter towards the ratchets)?

The only other thing I can think is that the axle spacer is either in the wrong place or is the wrong height, or perhaps the axle itself isn’t sitting in the right position against the hub bearings.

fibre
    Free Member

If someone gave me that hub with those symptoms and all the bearings and internals seemed okay the next thing I would do is check the bearings are fully pressed into the hub body and freehub. Only needs to be a smidge off.

If you don’t wanna mess around with it too much it’s at least worth asking the seller if they have recently fitted new bearings.

iamanobody
    Free Member

No markings on the freehub and aren’t 10 and 11speed same width cassettes?

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2020-DT-Swiss-Ratchet-EXP-fewer-moving-parts.jpg

Mines the left side hub

BearBack
    Free Member

shimano HG mtb is 9/10/11. Road 11spd is a different with to mtb 9/10/11.
    All road 11spd shimano drivers say road 11spd afaik

iamanobody
    Free Member

It’s an mtb hub to be clear
    It appears that there is no deal between hub shell and free hub (part 5 on tech docs) I assume this is going to cause the freehub to bind as it is too close the the hub shell?

BearBack
    Free Member

240/350 hubs have the seal set into the hub shell. Is this what you don’t see?
    Seal wouldn’t serve as a mechanical limited to how far the freehub body can slide on. However, if this hub was serviced prior to sale and had a new driveside bearing, it could be that the shim ring wasn’t put back in. You can tell if this is missing as if you look into the hub drive side with the stars and spring removed, the shim should partially hide the bearing seals. if you see all of the bearing seal, there’s no shim. Shim sits under the drive ring. Its late though and I cant figure if this would cause spacing issues.
    Other things could be that the star ratchet spacer (slides onto the axle) is mushroomed having been over tightened, allowing over compression of the hub when assembled and binding.

I’ve had a hub where I’ve thrown in a cheap bearing. before installation the bearing is fine. Installed its notchy and stiff, after removal its fine again. Presumably tolerance issue and squashing the outer race too far. perhaps the bearings are doing this once side loaded.

mattbee

There is a possibility that when you removed the old freehub you left the seal/shim behind on the hub body. When you put the new freehub on with its seal/shim it spins fine without a cassette but locks up with one fitted. Ask me how I know that and how long it took to figure out…

iamanobody
    Free Member

The hub is grey and when I remove the freehub I see no black seal in the hub shell or on the freehub so assume this is missing

The spacer isn’t mushroomed

The bearings have not been replaced so are correctly seated

Superficial
    Free Member

Does it work in the bike with the cassette off?

nixie

The seal sits flush into the body over the ratchet ring. I think it is possible to remove it seperately however its is firmly pressed in and normally comes out when the ratchet ring is removed. No idea how you’d get it out without destroying it (other than ratchet removal). It does not look like the seal on say a pro 4, more like a washer.

Edit, just seen bearback posted pretty much the same!

iamanobody
    Free Member

Works fine off the bike
    Works fine until the last 2 full turns on the axle

I cannot see any form of seal between hub and freehub – in fact I see a gap

I’ll do some pics in a bit

bikerevivesheffield

…..

iamanobody
    Free Member

Click the link for pics

b

c

d

e

f

g

is it the seal missing or some other issue that is causing it to bind??

BearBack
    Free Member

well, for one, it needs cleaning and re-greasing 😉 Theres no point reassembling it in that condition.

The seal is right there. the black bit set into the hub body with a groove in it seated up against the drive ring. poke it with a pick tool.. its rubber.

Shims looks present too.
    Have you checked the freehub bearings by hand? Do both hub bearing inner races turn with the axle? no notchyness?

I’m still going with mushroomed spacer sleeve. There appears to be a more gap between axle and ID of sleeve than normal. Its also showing interference wear.

nixie

Can you take the ratchets out and photograph their teeth (the ones that mesh together). It’s probably not what’s causing the hub to bind but looking closely if I’m not mistaken those teeth look chipped.

iamanobody
    Free Member

How would the spacer be mushroomed? can it be bought as a spare? how can i check it?

nixie

Don’t know how it happens but it can. St John street cycles sell them as a spare, it’s not expensive. One of mine recently would not move easily on the axle. Brand new one was perfect.

shaggy

I’d wager that the shim ring wasn’t seated properly under the shim nut. Hard to spot but if you take the freehub and loose parts of their washer on top of the centre bearing won’t be concentric with the axle.

iamanobody
    Free Member
    iamanobody
    Free Member

@shaggy look in the pics I think you are right

iamanobody
    Free Member

I think after watching the dt Swiss video the spacer is dodgy as it took a vice to remove it from the axle whereas on the video it slid off with ease!!

nixie

I’d just spotted that in the new pictures. Can you move it back into the correct place? Hope it’s not bent as if it is you’ll need to replace (means ratchet ring removal).

Those ratchets are a mess. I recently bought a hub that looked like that inside. I ended up replacing the DS bearing, shim, seal, spacer and ratchet rings.

shaggy

You might be able to pry the shim washer over over. If not, unfortunately, the ring nut (not shim nut like I said up there) needs to be undone. Really you need the special tool.

iamanobody
    Free Member

@nixie can you put it into terms for a simpleton step by step
    What do I need to buy/do?
    Thanks

iamanobody
    Free Member

Should there be a washer in the freehub?

nixie

I’ll have a go later when I’m working. TBH though unless you got a great deal of be talking to the seller.

iamanobody
    Free Member

£100 for the pair

wool

Had this before.. the splines need a clean. Use an o-ring pick or such like to get the rubbish out. If it’s not that you have the wrong end cap. First time it happened to me the shop mechanic couldn’t work it out and neither could i, it was bit of grit.

nixie

@iamanobody These are I think the internals you’ll need;

You’ll also need a ring nut tool. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Hub-Lock-Ring-Removal-Installation-Tool-Fit-For-DT-Pawls-Star-Ratchet/353023768493 Get one like this that will take a socket.

As your having the ring nut out I’d be tempted to replace at least the drive side bearing as well.

Yes this won’t be a cheap exercise (especially the ratchet rings).

iamanobody
    Free Member

@nixie – thanks buddy. What about getting the seal in – does that need a tool?

nixie

Technically yes but you can use the freehub body.

iamanobody
    Free Member

@nixie – all parts ordered thank you buddy – really appreciate it 🙁

iamanobody
    Free Member

All bits arrived – took apart – cleaned – put together methodically – still the same.
    Took the hub bearings out and replaced them – bit of a struggle using various sockets. The nds end cap is binding when inserted 😭 wtf next???

nixie

So it’s all fine till the NDS end cap goes in? Did the lock ring come out ok?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss 240 hub query – shimano 10/11 speed’ is closed to new replies.