Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Drumlanrig Trails – last black finish and one section of the red route diverted
  • banginon

Just to forwarn anybody heading to Drum that I've been busy out on the digger; re-routing, adding/fixing drainage and covering up some of the nastier roots.

Some of the trail has been diverted as it will take some time settle and can't be ridden until it's had a proper chance to compact. There will softer sections dotted about the other trails too.

Please don't ride past the tape and the diversions! Anybody riding on the soft (and after today very, very wet) material will put a groove right down the middle which will just hold water, take longer to dry and I'll have to go back out and fix it.

To make up for the shorter lap, do it twice or do an extra lap of the first red/8ball and follow the short cut back to the castle.

balfa
    Free Member

Good work. Look forward to ridding them!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

covering up some of the nastier roots

Roots are what make Drumlanrig so great, please don't cover up all the fun!

Diane
    Free Member

Wot Duggie said

forge197
    Free Member

Wot Duggies said +1

But grateful for putting drainage in to make the trails last longer.

Good work great place.

banginon

Just making the red route a wee bit more accessable to the masses. Some of the sections were beyond yer average red rider and I would prefer to send away good memories of fine tight twisty trail and not bad ones of the bits that they just couldn't do and hated. Don't worry tho I've put an more obvious line thru a few sections but where possible left the original lines in tact as they're the bits I tend to ride.

cheers for all good comments, if you've enjoyed the trails email your support to the estate. Satisfied customers with 'constructive' comments go along way to justifying new trail and entertaining trails etc.

plumber
    Free Member

8OHi,

It was myself and Marin_Maketh that intruded on your good works yesterday.

We honestly didn't see any signs before we got to you but then again we weren't look for them either.

Love what you do at Drumlanrig and I hope you received our contribution at the shop

Regards

Plum

Must get better tyres next time though it was good fun on slicks

Northwind

We noticed that last time, there were a few sections where there was obvious new surface in but as far as I noticed without knackering what was there before.

TBH the first time i rode there, it was slightly beyond my ability and I felt like parts of the red were just plain out of grade- not dangerous, just frustrating to ride with the level of ability I had, and a bit inconsistent. So this sounds good, always the holy grail isn't it, to make it more accessible without dumbing down.

OTOH if you change this bit I might cry
    http://vimeo.com/10269037
    One of my favourite stretches of trail anywhere.

What plumber said. Next time I go I'll make sure my riding companions bring a proper bike, never mind proper tyres.

Good work rick.

banginon

Nice vid!!

It's all easier the faster you go…….honest ;o)

Don't worry Plum the signs weren't up when you came thru, just after, and you'll understand why having ridden the fresh trail…..not nice.

However, even after the signs and tape went up, at least 20 riders have been down that trail over the weekend :o(

I wonder why mountain bikers think that they can just ignore diversions. Even ones that clearly explain that the trail is shut for maintenance and that damage will happen to the fresh trail. What is the point..! I had to spend a couple of hours on sunday evening, re shaping and re-whacking (?!? yeh, yeh) the trail back into shape as it is drying fast and it needs to dry in the right shape do allow good drainage; or every time it rains it'll collect water, get sodden, sink deeper, next year ad infinitum I'm back fixing the trail again.

Please, please, please don't ignore diversion notices, it just makes more work for the trail builders. I know Andy and Tally at the 7 Stanes and Paul oop north all have the same issues. It just makes our lives harder!

Rant over :o) phew!!!

By the way, bring it on, the trails can handle just as much use as any of the stanes, it's all to do with cunning design – keeping speed down and reducing skidding (don't get me started). The place seems quiet out on the trail cos of all the big trees hiding everyone else, it's kinda weird that way, weird and kinda eerie (especially at dusk when out with the shovel, think scooby do eyes out of trees).

scotabroad

Whats the best deal for access to Drumlanrig this year – is it best to get a season family ticket?

banginon

either a buy family season ticket or join the Drumlanrig/Rik's Bike Shed club and your membership card will get you in to the park and grounds. In return for this the club organises trail maintenance evenings on the first Tuesday of every month – meet at Rik's Bike Shed at 5:30 or look at the club notice board for a map of where we'll be that evening, non – members very welcome – call the shop first.

Generally just taking a wonder on the singletrack with spades; keeping the edges right, or barrowing in material etc. Last year we built a sweet piece of hand cut trail for the SXC which is riding very nicely, and I intend to do the same for this years race.

Club memebrship is £20 adult £10 junior £40 family, you get into ride all year, an email of what's going on, a monthly "sunday Muddy Sunday' gathering, grass roots racing, informal rides away and access to the Thursday evening kids coaching and adult rides. Oh aye and 10% off in the shop. If your gonna play an active club role we'll fund a TCL ticket and first aid etc.

banginon

we'll be busy finishing off the closed sections next Tuesday if there are any willing volunteers out there. We'll be barrowing in hardcore to cap some nasty clay sections. Yep, even at Drumlanrig!!!!

'Ridden in trail' ……………………my @rse ;o)

u02sgb
    Free Member

I wonder why mountain bikers think that they can just ignore diversions. Even ones that clearly explain that the trail is shut for maintenance and that damage will happen to the fresh trail.

Hi Rik,
    I was at Drumlanrig at the weekend but didn't ride the closed bits (yay me :-)). To play devils advocate though I don't think *all* of the trail closures were signposted as completely closed. One of the signposts we got to could have been read as "proceed at your own risk", despite being taped off. I think it may have been the normal trail sign that says "ride with care"? Maybe a simple "Trail closed, *please* don't ride it" on all the taped off bits would be more effective? I could have got talked into going down the trail if I hadn't overheard you asking people not to ride it in the shop.

Anyway, only my second time at Drumlanrig and I loved it again. Should be back again a few times over the summer.

Cheers,
    Stu.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

bangin on, did you get the dvd i sent?

banginon

Yep. Haven't had time to watch it all but what I've seen looks top. Looks like you had a good day!

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Lovely. Hopefully can be of some use!

banginon

I've spoken to the ranger service about rewording their diversion sign. It currently reads

a great big 'DIVERSION' with a red directional arrow, under which is written

' This section of trail is currently under going re-construction work. Please follow the diversion until further notice"

There is also red and white barrier tape across the trail.

I don't know how anybody could mistake this for 'we really don't want riders on this trail today or until we remove the sign'.

Perhaps you could suggest a wording that would keep those of a selfish persuasion off the obviously closed trail.

Stu

Perhaps you could suggest a wording that would keep those of a selfish persuasion off the obviously closed trail.

How about Diversion – anyone ignoring this is fair game for the Duke's target practice… 😆

banginon

We do have wild life cameras for spotting badgers and the like, I could put one on the closed trail then post the film for a name and shame session 🙄

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Drumlanrig Trails – last black finish and one section of the red route diverted’ is closed to new replies.